My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lack of bald spot gives it away.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it just, or is Manu one of the few stars from his era of scoring dynamic SGs(kobe,Allen,Pierce, Carter, Tmac age group) that hasn't really lost much athleticism compared to the rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it just, or is Manu one of the few stars from his era of scoring dynamic SGs(kobe,Allen,Pierce, Carter, Tmac age group) that hasn't really lost much athleticism compared to the rest.
    Comparing them all in their prime at least Kobe, Carter and T-Mac were more athletic than Manu ...perhaps even Allen and Pierce. Perhaps Manu lost less athleticism than the others, but all of them can still throw it down pretty good. I am always surprised how slick&quick Ray Allen looks when he dunks the ball ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu has lost a ton of athleticism just look a couple of videos from 03/04/05 IMHO.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who's supposed to be playing d in that pick?
    nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mindblowing input.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's supposed to be playing D in that pick?
    Matt Bonner.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu has lost a ton of athleticism just look a couple of videos from 03/04/05 IMHO.
    You may be right that, but it's hard to tell with Manu because he's never been a freak athlete like a carter or Kobe(but he's still the most athletic white sg in the league), but he's still doing all the same moves he once did in his prime(just not dunking as much or going for those classic Manu explosive put-back dunks). Can't say the same for Kobe, Carter, or Tmac, where you can really notice that they don't run or jump at the game speed they once did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll always like manu, no matter how old he gets lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may be right that, but it's hard to tell with Manu because he's never been a freak athlete like a carter or Kobe(but he's still the most athletic white sg in the league), but he's still doing all the same moves he once did in his prime(just not dunking as much or going for those classic Manu explosive put-back dunks). Can't say the same for Kobe, Carter, or Tmac, where you can really notice that they don't run or jump at the game speed they once did.

True but Ginobili also has less miles and averaged fewer minutes per game compared to other star SG's.

But Manu has aged relatively well and has played the most reg seasons game of his career this past season at age 33. His skillset, compe ive desire, and mastery of moves like the "euro-step" makes him one of the best SG's around.

However back in his prime Manu used to throw down more dunks and had a nice reverse slam that we really don't see anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is just you. Kobe and even Allen may still be more athletic, Pierce is about equivalent. Obviously, Kobe was more athletic to begin with, but Ray Allen is 3 years older than Manu and can still throw it down just like Manu, and as another has mentioned, he can get to that rim with some hop for his age. Vince isn't as athletic as he used to be, but he was obviously really athletic and T-Mac is irrelevant but he's had injuries throughout his career.

You may notice it more with Vince and Kobe because they were both extremely athletic....so athletic that any given human can sustain that level for only a few years total. I would expect the same exact thing to happen to guys like Lebron, Blake Griffin, and other extremely high jumpers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I didn't read this before responding to your other post but we made the same observation. Obviously you can't expect a freak athlete to be a freak athlete for that long...it makes sense Kobe or Vince haven't sustained their freakish jumping levels well into their 30s. But Kobe is still pretty damn athletic for his age, he still gets up there and he's been in the NBA since finishing high school.

Not sure if you watched any of the LAL vs. NO round 1 playoff series, but this was only a couple of months ago and at the time he was dealing with an ankle/foot injury I believe:

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is just you. Kobe and even Allen may still be more athletic, Pierce is about equivalent. Obviously, Kobe was more athletic to begin with, but Ray Allen is 3 years older than Manu and can still throw it down just like Manu, and as another has mentioned, he can get to that rim with some hop for his age. Vince isn't as athletic as he used to be, but he was obviously really athletic and T-Mac is irrelevant but he's had injuries throughout his career.

You may notice it more with Vince and Kobe because they were both extremely athletic....so athletic that any given human can sustain that level for only a few years total. I would expect the same exact thing to happen to guys like Lebron, Blake Griffin, and other extremely high jumpers.
    Kobe used to be more athletic than Manu back in the day but now kobe=manu imo in terms of athletic ability. Kobe can't drive like before and doesn't elevate as high on his jumper anymore. Ray Allen and Manu were about the same athletic wise a few years ago, but now Manu>>>Allen. Have you seen Allen recently play?? He struggles to drive in because he doesn't have the same foot speed he once had(Allen had some pretty good hops back in his day). Sure he could still dunk once in a while but he's no where near the athlete he once was. Vince and Tmac fell off really quick! Out of all these players, only Manu and Kobe would still give other coaches and fans nightmares compared to the rest. That said, I would love to see this years agility drills from the Spurs from training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a nice dunk by Kobe and Vince Carter can still throw it down too. But against the Mavs, Kobe took nearly 50 shots and 2.5 games before making a shot at the rim. Defensively, Kobe didn't look like an all-defensive player whatsoever. Imo he's been declining pretty significantly in the past season.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I didn't read this before responding to your other post but we made the same observation. Obviously you can't expect a freak athlete to be a freak athlete for that long...it makes sense Kobe or Vince haven't sustained their freakish jumping levels well into their 30s. But Kobe is still pretty damn athletic for his age, he still gets up there and he's been in the NBA since finishing high school.

Not sure if you watched any of the LAL vs. NO round 1 playoff series, but this was only a couple of months ago and at the time he was dealing with an ankle/foot injury I believe:

Yeah I agree, Kobe is still a good athlete but now he's gone down to Manu's level( which is not bad cause Manu is still pretty athletic for his age).

And I agree with the other poster who said that Manu doesn't have mileage that the other star sg's have, so that's why his game hasn't fallen like some of those other guys. Lets just hope that this year Pop doesn't around by playing Ginobili in meaningless games where he could suffer another freak like he did against Phoenix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe used to be more athletic than Manu back in the day but now kobe=manu imo in terms of athletic ability. Kobe can't drive like before and doesn't elevate as high on his jumper anymore. Ray Allen and Manu were about the same athletic wise a few years ago, but now Manu>>>Allen. Have you seen Allen recently play?? He struggles to drive in because he doesn't have the same foot speed he once had(Allen had some pretty good hops back in his day). Sure he could still dunk once in a while but he's no where near the athlete he once was. Vince and Tmac fell off really quick! Out of all these players, only Manu and Kobe would still give other coaches and fans nightmares compared to the rest. That said, I would love to see this years agility drills from the Spurs from training camp.
    Well Kobe currently and has always carried a larger load for his team in the NBA compared to NBA and he has been playing in the NBA for longer, but they're still at least equal athletically all around....and Kobe can still jump higher than Manu, Manu is not more athletic.

Allen plays pretty similarly like he always has and he can still get up there and throw them down, I've been impressed by some of his dunks. He still runs around with defenders trailing, his game has never been built on slashing and dunking on people.

No Tmac fell off quick...his career was plagued with injuries and lost his athleticism. Vince obviously couldn't keep his legs fresh like they were when he hopped over that 7-footer probably because he was one of the highest jumping humans and that's hard to sustain....

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a nice dunk by Kobe and Vince Carter can still throw it down too. But against the Mavs, Kobe took nearly 50 shots and 2.5 games before making a shot at the rim. Defensively, Kobe didn't look like an all-defensive player whatsoever. Imo he's been declining pretty significantly in the past season.

Kobe's athleticism has been fading at an alarming rate. I noticed it for the past two years when the Lakers played the Spurs of how kobe struggled to get past Manu and hill on the perimeter in some sequences, when before he would of just crossed Manu with his speed and drove it all the way to the basket. I see a lot more pump fakes and craftiness outta Kobe nowadays when he wants to get somewhere.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Kobe currently and has always carried a larger load for his team in the NBA compared to NBA and he has been playing in the NBA for longer, but they're still at least equal athletically all around....and Kobe can still jump higher than Manu, Manu is not more athletic.

Allen plays pretty similarly like he always has and he can still get up there and throw them down, I've been impressed by some of his dunks. He still runs around with defenders trailing, his game has never been built on slashing and dunking on people.

No Tmac fell off quick...his career was plagued with injuries and lost his athleticism. Vince obviously couldn't keep his legs fresh like they were when he hopped over that 7-footer probably because he was one of the highest jumping humans and that's hard to sustain....
    Yeah Kobe probably has an inch or two in vertical over Manu, but where Manu has Bean beat now is in slashing ability to the basket. Manu could still contort his body and find impossible angles to pass and finish near the basket better than 90% of other sgs in the league. Those are the abilities that have really diminished from bryant's game. He uses his midrange and post game a lot more now compared to Manu's offensive arsenal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    come on young bloods. 33 is not that old. I'm not even NBA and I can dunk at 31

Thread Information