Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count

See that...now that's a bicycle kick goal. It's way more impressive because the ball was traveling at a faster rate, from a longer distance away, and the ball was curving in. All of those elements make it tougher for Rooney to control the timing and strike the ball.

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count

See that...now that's a bicycle kick goal. It's way more impressive because the ball was traveling at a faster rate, from a longer distance away, and the ball was curving in. All of those elements make it tougher for Rooney to control the timing and strike the ball.
    Not impressed tbh. I could do that in 2 tries max.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Not impressed tbh. I could do that in 2 tries max.
    No you couldn't. You could not perfectly receive that ball in and one-time blast it back into the top corner of the net. Perhaps you could in 100 or 300 tries though.

But since you aren't impressed by that goal, I must ask, are you impressed by the goal you posted?

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    I have no idea who that is. But if he can't complete that kick in his 2nd try, he should not play professional soccer because I could easily kick a perfectly placed lobbed up gentle ball backwards into a goal from 6 meters out in my first couple of attempts. But most likely my first because I've played soccer as a young kid and I'm an athletic guy with some sort of coordination (actually very coordinated, but doesn't require too much compared to most athletes to put that goal in).

Great life story

Sucks that they don't give you second chances in a real game though! Man, imagine them letting you get a second chance after you the first time!
    Wish we had ALVAREZ6 during copa america so he can knock in bicycle kicks easily on his first attempt.
    Are you under 20? Maybe you can join our youth team tbh.

No you couldn't. You could not perfectly receive that ball in and one-time blast it back into the top corner of the net. Perhaps you could in 100 or 300 tries though.

But since you aren't impressed by that goal, I must ask, are you impressed by the goal you posted?
    I could my first time rather easily tbh.
    Because I've played soccer as a young kid and I'm an athletic guy with some sort of coordination actually very coordinated.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Well no you don't get 2nd chances in a real game, but that's exactly my point. You are calling a goal great simply because of it's environment..i.e. because it occurred in a semi-final. Would you think the same of it if it happened in a friendly?

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    That was a great goal... this one was better though, IMO:

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    That was a great goal... this one was better though, IMO:

That indeed was a great goal. I remember my father telling me about that one when he watched the game live. The goal was scored by one of his favorite players at the time, Marco Van Basten, who currently posts here under the username IronMaxipad.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Honestly though ElNono, I know of a much better goal. In fact, it might be one of the greatest goals ever and certainly the best so far in this thread (ff to 0:22):

That goal looked so sweet the way Pique has that white bandaging wrapped around his head.

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    Well no you don't get 2nd chances in a real game, but that's exactly my point. You are calling a goal great simply because of it's environment..i.e. because it occurred in a semi-final. Would you think the same of it if it happened in a friendly?
    And you keep down playing the fact that it was in a world cup semi final. Completely different than your ing backyard and having more than 1 attempt.

I think it was a great goal because i look at the whole package. Mexico was down 2-1 with 15 minutes left. They score a gol olimpico to tie the game and on that same play the kid busted his head open bleeding profusely. Comes back in all bandaged up and scores the game winning goal in the 90th minute. A perfectly placed back header pass followed by a great finish. He had to hit it to the far post anywhere else the goalie would've stopped it. If you watch the replay again the first post was covered by 2 guys, the keeper and a defender and there was another defender guarding the middle of the goal and he almost got a foot on it.

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    Actually looking at the replay again i doubt you could score that goal in 2 attempts or any for that matter. 3 people defending on the goal line. You wold have to hit it perfectly to the far post across the face of goal.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    I'm not downplaying the fact that it was in a semi at all. In fact I'm doing the opposite and saying that imo that's what makes the goal noteworthy. But this isn't the "Great Lead Up Events to Goals Thread", it's the "Great goals thread". We aren't all re-living the entire games and tournaments, we're just watching the few second clips of the actual goals. Just watching the goal for what it's worth doesn't leave me in awe like most of the others.

That's it from me about this subject haha, I obviously don't actually care that the goal is in this thread. My initial attack on the goal was semi-serious and I only continued for the sake of arguing.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    And you keep down playing the fact that it was in a world cup semi final. Completely different than your ing backyard and having more than 1 attempt.

I think it was a great goal because i look at the whole package. Mexico was down 2-1 with 15 minutes left. They score a gol olimpico to tie the game and on that same play the kid busted his head open bleeding profusely. Comes back in all bandaged up and scores the game winning goal in the 90th minute. A perfectly placed back header pass followed by a great finish. He had to hit it to the far post anywhere else the goalie would've stopped it. If you watch the replay again the first post was covered by 2 guys, the keeper and a defender and there was another defender guarding the middle of the goal and he almost got a foot on it.

It was a great goal, all there is to it.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Actually looking at the replay again i doubt you could score that goal in 2 attempts or any for that matter. 3 people defending on the goal line. You wold have to hit it perfectly to the far post across the face of goal.
    To clarify: when I brought up making the goal again, I simply meant without a defense. So, no defense, but everything else is the exact same... i.e. same exact flight path, etc.

The pair of MLS goals, for example, would be hard for most people to recreate in a few tries even without defenders and a keeper in goal.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    My initial attack on the goal was semi-serious and I only continued for the sake of arguing.
    and this makes you bag..

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    called unimpressive goal from Mexico player unimpressive

Ask most soccer fans what they think in here. Excluding the environment, I think the goal itself isn't too impressive. I'm not trying to discredit this young'n for coming back into the game and scoring to put them in the final .

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    To clarify: when I brought up making the goal again, I simply meant without a defense. So, no defense, but everything else is the exact same... i.e. same exact flight path, etc.

The pair of MLS goals, for example, would be hard for most people to recreate in a few tries even without defenders and a keeper in goal.
    Oh ok so this thread is for goals that people can't recreate in their backyards. Long range shots should be removed tbh. If the criteria is No goalie and No defenders

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    That goal looked so sweet the way Pique has that white bandaging wrapped around his head.

BTW, one of the best bycicle kick goals I've seen was in '86, Francescoli in a summer cup game between River and the Polonia NT. The videos available online of that goal just don't do it justice. It was chest up to lift the ball, then bycicle kick to the far post. Genius stuff.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    This one was pretty good...

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    God damn this discussion is still going on?

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Help us out a little bit and answer this question: was that goal itself really impressive????

or is it mostly due to the fact that it was a semi-final and the goal put them in the lead?

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count

Son these don't count becuase if there were no goalies and defenders ALVAREZ would score that goal with ease

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    Help us out a little bit and answer this question: was that goal itself really impressive????

or is it mostly due to the fact that it was a semi-final and the goal put them in the lead?
    Impressive:
    Me
    Sense
    Nono

Not Impressive because i can knock these in with ease in my AYSO league:
    ALVAREZ6

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Son these don't count becuase if there were no goalies and defenders ALVAREZ would score that goal with ease
    I don't think I would with ease... that shot curved a great deal and landed right at the side of the net.

My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    I don't think I would with ease... that shot curved a great deal and landed right at the side of the net.
    pfft not even in 2 attempts?

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Impressive:
    Me
    Sense
    Nono

Not Impressive because i can knock these in with ease in my AYSO league:
    ALVAREZ6
    No no no...Nono needs to be asked officially because I believe that comment he made was about Rooney's goal.

Thread Information