Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    FC Porto
    Post Count
    No no no...Nono needs to be asked officially because I believe that comment he made was about Rooney's goal.
    I'm just stat padding tbh

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    pfft not even in 2 attempts?
    tbh I can't say for sure, like I can with the mexico goal. Could be a couple more than 2 simply because he was far out and the ball curved a lot and just barely stayed in front of goal. If I were to try, I'm sure out of the first few that most would either not curve enough, not stay in net, or stay in, but not veer far enough right to barely stay in.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Help us out a little bit and answer this question: was that goal itself really impressive????

or is it mostly due to the fact that it was a semi-final and the goal put them in the lead?
    It's a combination of both, tbh. The setting it happened in certainly elevated the goal, but it wasn't as unspectacular as you portray it to be.

It's not like he bicycle kicked the goal into an open net, he was able to beat both the goalie and 2 defenders on the line. This makes the goal better even though the setup for the kick itself was relatively 'easy'.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    All you have to do is listen to the commentator.. to say it's not a great goal is dumb, of course it's a great goal.. it was off a corner ... and it was deflected, he really didn't have that much time to think about it.. even with the ball taking that arch.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Anyways I'll just go ahead and end this thread:

[/thread]

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    All you have to do is listen to the commentator.. to say it's not a great goal is dumb, of course it's a great goal.. it was off a corner ... and it was deflected, he really didn't have that much time to think about it.. even with the ball taking that arch.
    The fact that it was off a corner adds nothing.
    The fact that it was deflected also adds nothing. The deflection allowed the ball to arrive to him more slowly, which actually helps.

Honestly resistanze is probably most accurate when he said:

It's a combination of both, tbh. The setting it happened in certainly elevated the goal, but it wasn't as unspectacular as you portray it to be.

It's not like he bicycle kicked the goal into an open net, he was able to beat both the goalie and 2 defenders on the line. This makes the goal better even though the setup for the kick itself was relatively 'easy'.
    I admit I initially portrayed it as slightly below it's true value (lol), but the amount of value added to the goal given the background exceeds the amount I underrated it by (lol...if that makes sense).

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Anyways I'll just go ahead and end this thread:

[/thread]
    tbh, I made 3 (or was it 4?) of those in just one game. No big deal really.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    tbh, I made 3 (or was it 4?) of those in just one game. No big deal really.

When you said this:

That was a great goal... this one was better though, IMO:
    was it in reference to Rooney's or Mexican Player's?

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Altintop's goal that won goal of the year:

Looks like a POS compared to Hallenius' goal imo (2nd place), but still a cracker.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    When you said this:
    was it in reference to Rooney's or Mexican Player's?
    Rooney

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Altintop's goal that won goal of the year:

Looks like a POS compared to Hallenius' goal imo (2nd place), but still a cracker.
    now, seriously, you can't tell me you never scored a goal like this one.
    When you get the ball coming down and you nail the volley just right AND ends up going into some ridiculously perfect corner of the net (completely unintended to put it there, but I digress).

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    now, seriously, you can't tell me you never scored a goal like this one.
    When you get the ball coming down and you nail the volley just right AND ends up going into some ridiculously perfect corner of the net (completely unintended to put it there, but I digress).
    Yeah this kind of goal is pretty common (in terms of spectacular goals).

Out of 20 tries: 12 times this shot sails over the crossbar, 3 times the player whiffs, 4 times the ball gets kicked into the ground, and 1 time you score Altintop's goal.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Out of 20 tries: 12 times this shot sails over the crossbar, 3 times the player whiffs, 4 times the ball gets kicked into the ground, and 1 time you score Altintop's goal.
    Basically.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Not really. In 20 tries you don't score Altintop's goal. Maybe in 100 or 200, but if you're only attempting 20, the few ones that do go in surely wouldn't be line drives right to the exact corner.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Not really. In 20 tries you don't score Altintop's goal. Maybe in 100 or 200, but if you're only attempting 20, the few ones that do go in surely wouldn't be line drives right to the exact corner.
    Right now, at 37 and balding, it probably would be 1 in 200...

Back in the day though, 1 in 20 sounds about right... he really wasn't that close to the post, and he really didn't aim to put it where it went anyways.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    BTW, did any of you guys played professionally in here?

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Right now, at 37 and balding, it probably would be 1 in 200...

Back in the day though, 1 in 20 sounds about right... he really wasn't that close to the post, and he really didn't aim to put it where it went anyways.
    Man, 37 and balding has nothing to do with being able to finish that goal, only to actually compete to be the player (Altintop) to have the chance to finish it. Being overweight on the other hand may . The analysis I gave though relates to what my first 20 attempts would likely be like, but I'm not too skilled anymore as I haven't played compe ively since I was in 5th grade.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I stopped playing once a week with friends about 5 years ago, a little after I got married (surprise ). I miss it a lot though. I started playing in Ateneo Popular de Versailles when I was five. I did pretty good (tried out for River and Velez), but not good enough to stick as a pro though. Love the sport.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    I wish I kept up with it..eh, well I guess there's pros and cons. I remember I grew tired of it when I was about 11, but it had less to do with the actual sport than other factors, such as going to practice, none of my friends played, and generally not very popular in the US. I was already getting more and more into basketball at the time and that became the rout the took, playing basketball and American football.

It took me away from the game, but it's not a big deal because I'm still young and can play pick up games for years to come. At least this way I got exposed to more sports. The only regret I have is not being able to see myself reach my potential, but I don't think I had great chances of playing professionally so it's not a huge issue .

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    My dad wanted me to do school and what not. I recall seeing the writing on the wall when I tried out for River. Delem was in charge, and there were easily 150 kids there just one day. I still remember the tryout was in the mini stadium in Ramsay & Blanco Encalada, a few blocks away from El Monumental. Gallardo was trying out that day.
    At any rate, dads from the kids were swarming Delem pitching their sons. My dad wasn't even there It was a fun experience though.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    And now for the king of bicycle kicks (seriously, I can't recall any other striker with as many "makes" in the professional ranks)...

The guy was simply an unparalleled striker...

None other than Hugo Sanchez

Even Cristiano Ronaldo recognizes Hugo's choice strike...

for comparison's sake...

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    This one was pretty good...

As was this one...

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    In honor of Jurgen making his coaching debut for the US tonight:

Believe.