Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    First, a smartphone is much cheaper than a tablet. $200 vs $500 for a tablet. As for the need vs want argument, it's definitely a legit argument when funds are tight. My phone was used at work as well as home so I definitely had a need for the email capability especially.

A tablet is a want, and as such, I can't justify dropping $400-$500 on a tablet.
    Cheaper than a tablet? False. Try buying a smartphone without an upgrade or locked into a new contract. I believe the iphone4 is like $600

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First off, I'm talking work email, which can't be connected with just a dumb phone. Second, I said especially the email aspect, but that wasn't the only reason.

You have to be so damn argumentative don't you?
    you can definitely access work email with a dumb phone. Don't turn your stupidity on me. You would find that if you didn't always say things that are wring I wouldn't disagree with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find smartphones to be very convenient

TBH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a lot of hype around the upcoming Windows 8 tablets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the new galaxy tab by samsung is pretty much badass.
    Yep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First off, I'm talking work email, which can't be connected with just a dumb phone. Second, I said especially the email aspect, but that wasn't the only reason.

You have to be so damn argumentative don't you?
    Start calling him Stormy, for more reasons than one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

nice

New tp video up by the cm team. Can't link but check Twitter. It looks almost ready to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm tempted to get the Galaxy Tab 10.1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are pretty much a Samsung family

2 kids have some older model pink Samsung phone with slide out keyboard.
    Wife has the first Epic and the first galaxy tab with sprint 2 gb plan.
    I have the new Epic touch and Galaxy 10.1 with hot spot on my phone to power my tab online when not home.

I like my setup as I pay 30/month for hot spot on 4g and I can support 8 devices. My wifes tab is also 30/ month for only 2gb at 3g speeds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are you paying to use your phone as a hotspot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why are you paying to use your phone as a hotspot?
    Because I don't want to root. Once I start I won't stop and instead of enjoying my phone I will keep looking for the next best rom/app/what ever. I know myself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sly has a point there. A bit if an expensive lesson, but I understand the justification.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sly has a point there. A bit if an expensive lesson, but I understand the justification.
    Back when I modded the first Xbox all's I did was try to copy/download every game I could but I never really played them. Now I got Gamefly with the ps3/xbox 360 and I beat just about every game I rent and buy the ones I really like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough I guess. I find a ROM that I like and stick with it. The only things I really care about battery life and tethering so as long as I have good battery life (and stock NEVER does) and the ability to tether I'm good. paying Sprint 30 bucks a month to use my phones own features. that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough I guess. I find a ROM that I like and stick with it. The only things I really care about battery life and tethering so as long as I have good battery life (and stock NEVER does) and the ability to tether I'm good. paying Sprint 30 bucks a month to use my phones own features. that.
    This is normally the case, but I have yet to find an Evo3d Rom that has as good of battery life as my prerooted 3d had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samsung unveils Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, packing 1.2GHz dual-core CPU and coated in Honeycomb

By Amar Toor posted Sep 30th 2011 6:37AM

Samsung has just unveiled a rather unexpected addition to its fleet of tablets, with the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Available in both 16GB and 32GB varieties, this new slate is fueled by a 1.2GHz dual-core CPU, runs Android 3.2 Honeycomb and features a seven-inch LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution. It also packs a two megapixel front-facing camera, along with a three megapixel shooter that supports 720p video, boasts 1GB of RAM and ships with Sammy's TouchWiz UI baked-in. In terms of connectivity, you'll find support for quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 3G with 21Mbps HSPA and the usual smattering of Bluetooth 3.0 and GPS capabilities. In addition, this little guy offers WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, along with support for channel bonding and apt-X Codec for Bluetooth. Pricing has yet to be announced, but the 7.0 Plus is slated to hit Indonesia and Austria by the end of October, before rolling out internationally. Slide past the break for more details, in the full PR, or check out the gallery below for more images.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIM slashes BB playbook prices by 200$

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor analysis. The tablet market simply replaced the "netbook" market, and it's just suffering from over-saturation. Upgrade cycles are just not worth a yearly update anymore, but it's still a very healthy market. Not much different than what's happening with the smartphone market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So PC magazine got it wrong?

I have a tablet, it's only used for chromecasting to my TV so it's basically a big remote. It can do more, but it cannot do more ergonomically. It doesn't stand by itself (Dale knows the feeling) like a laptop screen will, and when I am in a hotel room in bed and ing around online, I am on a laptop while my tablet is on a charger on a desk. I might use it for a PDF file in a lab while I am working, otherwise it stays tucked away in my backpack. I even have BT keyboard. I've seen more people go to bigger laptops lately like the Asus ROG version than with tablets.

I don't know that they will go away, but they were a fad. Things you feel compelled to buy that you don't find a use for are generally fads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So PC magazine got it wrong?

I have a tablet, it's only used for chromecasting to my TV so it's basically a big remote. It can do more, but it cannot do more ergonomically. It doesn't stand by itself (Dale knows the feeling) like a laptop screen will, and when I am in a hotel room in bed and ing around online, I am on a laptop while my tablet is on a charger on a desk. I might use it for a PDF file in a lab while I am working, otherwise it stays tucked away in my backpack. I even have BT keyboard. I've seen more people go to bigger laptops lately like the Asus ROG version than with tablets.

I don't know that they will go away, but they were a fad. Things you feel compelled to buy that you don't find a use for are generally fads.
    I think the PC Magazine guy just has a typical reaction. Whenever some sales go down, for whatever reason, then you start hearing about "the end" of anything. Same happened with the iPhone a year or two ago. Same thing with Desktop PCs when unit shipments were declining a few years back.

The reality is that the overall tablet market still grew in 2014, at about 7%, with 235m shipped units. It's a healthy market. Analysts were expecting more (growth was an otherwordly 52% in 2013), but update cycles on tablets are arguably even worse than smartphones. The laptop market is a different market, and it's a healthy market on it's own.

I know casual users that completely replaced their desktops for tablets (mostly do web-browsing, emailing, mild media consumption).

I particularly do not carry a laptop on trips anymore. Just use a tablet with VNC.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upgrade cycles are just not worth a yearly update anymore, but it's still a very healthy market.
    Yeah, pdfs don't get harder to read one year later, which is the main thing I use my tablet for, along with some web browsing and netflix ... though it sure seems google is making Chrome into a bigger and bigger resource hog to force the upgrade issue. I'm going to have to root the mother er to go back to old software and to fix a couple of things I don't like about it, which kind of sucks, since I wanted to treat my Nexus like a plug and play console instead of like my desktop PC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would buy that the markets might converge at some point. Laptops becoming more tablet-like, or tablets becoming more powerful, thus laptop-like. For that to happen, you're going to need some substantial changes on both software (relatively easy) to battery technology (relatively difficult).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Tbh, that's what Microsoft is banking on.

If the rumors of Apple making a larger iPad are true, even they are looking at some sort of market converging.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Microsoft could never get it right though... Bill Gates was marketing "tablets" as the future years before the iPad but they never caught on because it was always a hack. Not touch friendly, and basically laptop hardware in tablet form-factor, with the power implications.

It's a barrier that still exists today, and why you have two separate markets. From what I've seen of Windows 10, it appears to close the gap a bit on the software side, but that always was the simpler challenge. The power side of the equation hasn't had many breakthroughs yet.

Thread Information