Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I've mentioned before that the next great breakthrough is going to be in battery technology, whenever that may be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft just plans to hold the fort until then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Microsoft could never get it right though... Bill Gates was marketing "tablets" as the future years before the iPad but they never caught on because it was always a hack. Not touch friendly, and basically laptop hardware in tablet form-factor, with the power implications.

It's a barrier that still exists today, and why you have two separate markets. From what I've seen of Windows 10, it appears to close the gap a bit on the software side, but that always was the simpler challenge. The power side of the equation hasn't had many breakthroughs yet.
    Windows 8 was such a bust that they're skipping Windows 9 altogether. Windows 7 is their best product till date tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Windows 8 was such a bust that they're skipping Windows 9 altogether. Windows 7 is their best product till date tbh.
    Windows 8 is not bad, but they went full re with the touch interface, alienating day to day (read: mouse) users. Windows 10 from what I've seen is more of a middle ground.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I've mentioned before that the next great breakthrough is going to be in battery technology, whenever that may be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft just plans to hold the fort until then.
    We'll see with the new CEO, but they're no longer a pseudo-monopoly, and Ballmer was a numbers guy, which really killed innovation there. They're either in ultra-compe ive markets or playing catchup.

On the server side, it's a fierce battle with Linux, Bing with Google search, XBox with Playstation, Office 360 with Google Docs, Azure with Amazon Web Services, they were late on the tablet segment with the Surface, and it doesn't look they're making many inroads, same with smartphones, where they spent a chunk of money on Nokia, and have very little to show for it. They were last with an App Store, and lost developers in the process, now they're trying to catch up.

They have leverage because they still largely dominate the desktop, but people are not upgrading their OS as often, and the desktop is giving way to more cloud-based services, so the influence is there, but it's not what it used to be. I don't think they can afford to sit on their asses for too long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a long-ass rant coming regarding how directionless Microsoft has been with Windows phone, which I'll post later because typing all that out on my phone.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I have a long-ass rant coming regarding how directionless Microsoft has been with Windows phone, which I'll post later because typing all that out on my phone.
    You don't need to post it tbh, because everybody knows that Windows phones suck in general

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't need to post it tbh, because everybody knows that Windows phones suck in general
    Not disagreeing with that. My issue is more with the fact that there really isn't any real reason for it to exist in the first place.

When you distill Windows Phone's issues down to the very core, you're left with the realization that it's a 100% cargo cult.

It doesn't exist to promote an ecosystem (there isn't one and Microsoft isn't even growing one). Nor does it exist to move a customer up to its products (it has nothing unique tying it to Windows). It doesn't exist to monetize data or services either.

It only exists because the companies Microsoft believes it competes with, Apple and Google, make phones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not disagreeing with that. My issue is more with the fact that there really isn't any real reason for it to exist in the first place.

When you distill Windows Phone's issues down to the very core, you're left with the realization that it's a 100% cargo cult.

It doesn't exist to promote an ecosystem (there isn't one and Microsoft isn't even growing one). Nor does it exist to move a customer up to its products (it has nothing unique tying it to Windows). It doesn't exist to monetize data or services either.

It only exists because the companies Microsoft believes it competes with, Apple and Google, make phones.
    Because you had a numbers guy at the helm, looking for the short-term stock price jolt rather than the long term view. He mandated the company to jump into every "hot" category at the time with a half-assed job (Bing, Windows Phone, Surface, App Store, touch OS in Win 8) just to grab the headline "Microsoft is getting into X" and see the stock go up. But they were all rushed hack jobs. Some of them are salvageable, some of them are not. He burned company prestige and money in the process.

It worked short-term for the stockholders, but now you have a seemingly aimless company out there, and we'll see if the new CEO can give them better direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because you had a numbers guy at the helm, looking for the short-term stock price jolt rather than the long term view. He mandated the company to jump into every "hot" category at the time with a half-assed job (Bing, Windows Phone, Surface, App Store, touch OS in Win 8) just to grab the headline "Microsoft is getting into X" and see the stock go up. But they were all rushed hack jobs. Some of them are salvageable, some of them are not. He burned company prestige and money in the process.

It worked short-term for the stockholders, but now you have a seemingly aimless company out there, and we'll see if the new CEO can give them better direction.
    He also came away $27 billion richer (obviously from stocks), but still the level of fail on part of Ballmer could have killed Microsoft. They're lucky their server & cloud networking business is looking very bright.

BTW aren't they losing money on the XBox experiment. Have they even made a profit till date?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also came away $27 billion richer (obviously from stocks), but still the level of fail on part of Ballmer could have killed Microsoft. They're lucky their server & cloud networking business is looking very bright.

BTW aren't they losing money on the XBox experiment. Have they even made a profit till date?
    I don't think they're losing money outright, but just breaking even is good enough for them in that area. They get a device hooked to the TV, can get good metrics for marketing, a platform to reach younger people... in a sense, the XBox is probably doing more about building and growing an actual ecosystem than all the other non-corporate stuff they've done. I mean, even if the Kinect blow chunks, it's an area where they at least tried to innovate.

Also, don't forget that the XBox group really predates Ballmer. The original XBox went on sale in 2001, a year after Ballmer became CEO, but it was a project they've been working on for a while, as a means to push DirectX over OpenGL. I think overall, both the original XBox and the 360 were successful projects for Microsoft, even if they didn't make much money with them.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they're losing money outright, but just breaking even is good enough for them in that area. They get a device hooked to the TV, can get good metrics for marketing, a platform to reach younger people... in a sense, the XBox is probably doing more about building and growing an actual ecosystem than all the other non-corporate stuff they've done. I mean, even if the Kinect blow chunks, it's an area where they at least tried to innovate.

Also, don't forget that the XBox group really predates Ballmer. The original XBox went on sale in 2001, a year after Ballmer became CEO, but it was a project they've been working on for a while, as a means to push DirectX over OpenGL. I think overall, both the original XBox and the 360 were successful projects for Microsoft, even if they didn't make much money with them.
    Any idea why Zune was such a failure?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had a doodoo brown version and everything who knows!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, it's the same issue as Windows Phone.

Microsoft cargo-culted Apple into the portable player industry and never made a really big effort to set up an ecosystem close to how the iPod+iTunes system worked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't know. Microsoft used to have a solid hardware division. Their Intellimouse line of mouses were ing solid. Some of their keyboards too. I don't know where it all went wrong, but I know Ballmer was the head of the snake then.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had a doodoo brown version and everything who knows!
    LOL, forgot about that. No one wants their expensive hardware to look like a piece of . Who the would ever think brown is a good color for this kind of stuff?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't know. Microsoft used to have a solid hardware division. Their Intellimouse line of mouses were ing solid. Some of their keyboards too. I don't know where it all went wrong, but I know Ballmer was the head of the snake then.
    Just retired my intellimouse Explorer 3.0 two months ago lasted 8 years tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is a fad, in a few day/weeks it will be gone.
    Tablets are going away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tablets are going away.
    damn and i just bought a 500gb ipad pro a couple months ago... i have yet to find much use out of it but i got it more for travel which i haven't done much of yet this yr.

Thread Information