Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The JournoList has started to leak like an over-ripe diaper.

Just in case you’ve been living in a cave, or if you only get your news from MSNBC, here’s the story. A young blogger, Ezra Klein, formerly of the avowedly left-wing American Prospect and now with the avowedly mainstream Washington Post, founded the e-mail listserv JournoList for like-minded liberals to hash out and develop ideas. Some 400 people joined the by-invitation-only group. Most, it seems, were in the media, but many hailed from academia, think tanks, and the world of forthright liberal activism generally. They spoke freely about their political and personal biases, including their hatred of Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.

#ad#That off-the-record intellectual bacchanalia has started to haunt the participants like an inexplicable rash after a wild party during Fleet Week.

Last month, David Weigel, a young Washington Post blogger hired to report on conservative politics, ostensibly from a sympathetic perspective, left the Post thanks to his damning statements on JournoList (conservatives are racists, Rush Limbaugh should die, etc.).

Now the diaper is coming off entirely. Perhaps stretching the diaper metaphor too far, what’s inside JournoList may stink, but it’s no surprise that it does. JournoList e-mails obtained by the Daily Caller reveal what anybody with two neurons to rub together already knew: Professional liberals don’t like Republicans and do like Democrats. They can be awfully smug and condescending in their sense of intellectual and moral superiority. They tend to ascribe evil motives to their political opponents -- sometimes even when they know it’s unfair. One obscure blogger insisted that liberals should arbitrarily demonize a conservative journalist as a racist to scare conservatives away from covering stories that might hurt Obama.

Oh, and -- surprise! -- it turns out that the “O” in JournoList stands for “Obama.”

In 2008, participants shared talking points about how to shape coverage to help Obama. They tried to paint any negative coverage of Obama’s racist and hateful pastor, Jeremiah Wright, as out of bounds. Journalists at such “objective” news organizations as Newsweek, Bloomberg, Time, and The Economist joined conversations with open partisans about the best way to criticize Sarah Palin.

Like an Amish community raising a barn, members of the progressive community got together to hammer out talking points. Amidst a discussion of Palin, Chris Hayes, a writer for The Nation, wrote: “Keep the ideas coming! Have to go on TV to talk about this in a few min and need all the help I can get.” Time’s Joe Klein admitted to his fellow JournoListers that he’d collected the listserv’s bric-a-brac and fashioned it into a brickbat aimed at Palin.

Many conservatives think JournoList is the smoking gun that proves not just liberal media bias (already well-established) but something far more elusive as well: the Sasquatch known as the Liberal Media Conspiracy.

I’m not so sure. In the 1930s, the New York Times deliberately whitewashed Stalin’s murders. In 1964, CBS reported that Barry Goldwater was tied up with German Nazis. In 1985, the Los Angeles Times polled 2,700 journalists at 621 newspapers and found that journalists identified themselves as liberal by a factor of 3 to 1. Their actual views on issues were far more liberal than even that would suggest. Just for the record, Ezra Klein was born in 1984.

In other words, JournoList is a symptom, not the disease. And the disease is not a secret conspiracy but something more like the “open conspiracy” H. G. Wells fantasized about, where the smartest, best people at every ins ution make their progressive vision for the world their top priority.

As James DeLong, a fellow at the Digital Society, correctly noted on the Enterprise Blog, “The real problem with JournoList is that much of it consisted of exchanges among people who worked for ins utions about how to best hijack their employers for the cause of Progressivism.”

For a liberal activist, that’s forgivable, I guess. But academics? Reporters? Editors? Even liberal opinion writers aren’t supposed to “coordinate” their messages with the mother ship.

The conservative movement at least admits it is a movement (even though conservatives outnumber liberals 2-1 in this country). Establishment liberalism, not just in the press but also in the White House, academia, and Hollywood, holds power by refusing to make the same concession. “This isn’t about ideology.#...#We just call them like we see them.#...#We don’t have an agenda.”

The open conspiracy that perpetuates that lie is far more pernicious than any chat room.
    http://article.nationalreview.com/43...jonah-goldberg
    Word.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where's the evidence? nice opinion piece.

In 2008, participants shared talking points about how to shape coverage to help Obama. They tried to paint any negative coverage of Obama’s racist and hateful pastor, Jeremiah Wright, as out of bounds. Journalists at such “objective” news organizations as Newsweek, Bloomberg, Time, and The Economist joined conversations with open partisans about the best way to criticize Sarah Palin.

my favorite part of the story. are we supposed to just believe the right wing blogger?
    Last edited by George Gervin's Afro; 07-24-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where's the evidence? nice opinion piece.

my favorite part of the story. are we supposed to just believe the right wing blogger?
    Maybe you should follow the story of the Journolist, George. I think you'd find your evidence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slanted Jonah Goldberg? ranting about slants that don't parallel his slants?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you should follow the story of the Journolist, George. I think you'd find your evidence.
    I'm waiting to see the evidence! This could be huge....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm waiting to see the evidence! This could be huge....
    Why are you waiting? Who's bringing to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you waiting? Who's bringing to you?
    where i come from the people who do the accusing usually provide evidence to back it up... call me traditional..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where i come from the people who do the accusing usually provide evidence to back it up... call me traditional..
    That's non-responsive.

So, you contend Journolist was not a confederation of hundreds of left-leaning "journalists" who tried to direct the narratives of each other's reporting?

Just checking.

And, if you don't, what is your understanding of what was Journalist?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gga: no you're an idiot. love to read a post of yours with some substance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's non-responsive.

So, you contend Journolist was not a confederation of hundreds of left-leaning "journalists" who tried to direct the narratives of each other's reporting?

Just checking.

And, if you don't, what is your understanding of what was Journalist?
    I'd like to se some proof of them directing the narrative's of eachother's reporting. SHould I just take Jonah Golberg's word for t?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whatever troll. I guess you need everything spoonfed. Of course you wont hear it on Olbermann's show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to se some proof of them directing the narrative's of eachother's reporting. SHould I just take Jonah Golberg's word for t?
    No, you shouldn't. But, you should delve into the subject. Others are reporting on it and including excerpts of Journolist e-mails that are fairly damning, if you ask me.

Evidence of driving the narratives behind the Jeremiah Wright - Obama relationship. Evidence of driving the narratives behind McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as Vice Presidential candidate.

Both of which seem to be narratives that dominated reporting contemporaneous to the e-mails.

It also seems there's an Obama staff member that was also a member of Journolist.

I'll let you decide if you're interested enough to do your own investigating, I'm tired of spoon-feeding the Obama deniers on this board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would imagine you're also unaware the special Inspector General, investigating the forced closure of all those GM and Chrysler dealerships, has issued a report that pretty much says the dealerships picked for closure were selected - in part - on the basis of the race or sex of the owner and their political affiliation.

That reports out there, as well.

But, I don't expect it to make the news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, you shouldn't. But, you should delve into the subject. Others are reporting on it and including excerpts of Journolist e-mails that are fairly damning, if you ask me.

Evidence of driving the narratives behind the Jeremiah Wright - Obama relationship. Evidence of driving the narratives behind McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as Vice Presidential candidate.

Both of which seem to be narratives that dominated reporting contemporaneous to the e-mails.

It also seems there's an Obama staff member that was also a member of Journolist.

I'll let you decide if you're interested enough to do your own investigating, I'm tired of spoon-feeding the Obama deniers on this board.
    so there's no evidence...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what evidence specifically are you asking about troll?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How 'bout that Charlie Rangel?

No. 4 in the swamp Pelosi promised to drain back in 2006.

Other than the fact he's been charged, the news is trying desperately to avoid tying this to any general corruption in the Democrat party. , Pelosi and Reid were both fairly supportive of Rangel up until yesterday...

I think the wheels are flying off with or without the mainstream media reporting it. And, with or without George Gervin's Afro bothering to inform himself on any of the scandals percolating up the pipe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so there's no evidence...
    Obviously not in your possession but, thankfully, you're not in a position to do much either way.

Look, you can choose to be interested or not; matters little to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what evidence specifically are you asking about troll?

I'd assume Goldberg has proof..why wouldn't he provide it? It's a damning accusation................so I suppose asking him to prove it is too much to ask for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously not in your possession but, thankfully, you're not in a position to do much either way.

Look, you can choose to be interested or not; matters little to me.
    ok yoni you and the backslappers can nail the media on this thread..have fun..!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you asked him, troll, for this evidence that you cannot seem to specify?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you asked him, troll, for this evidence that you cannot seem to specify?
    I'd assume Goldberg has proof..why wouldn't he provide it? It's a damning accusation................so I suppose asking him to prove it is too much to ask for
    ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not google journolist?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably because there's only so much column space dedicated to an opinion piece and maybe, just maybe, he believed his readers would be interested enough to read up on the Journolist.

I guess he's never met you. Of course, you're not a reader of his, either...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not google journolist?
    OH GOD! No! Don't do that!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably because there's only so much column space dedicated to an opinion piece and maybe, just maybe, he believed his readers would be interested enough to read up on the Journolist.

I guess he's never met you. Of course, you're not a reader of his, either...
    gga doesn't seem to be a reader period.

Thread Information