Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm halfway through Dust to Dust and Conlan showed up This book is pretty damn good, thanks for the series recommendation Chinook
    I'm glad you like it. I thought it got better as it went on.

I just wrapped up Night Circus. It was a very odd book. It was boring at the beginning and the end, which is like the opposite of what you want. People call it the new Harry Potter, but it reminded me more of Great Expectations, especially the BBC miniseries that came out a few years ago. Well, that series had it been directed by Tim Burton.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Prior Bad Acts was really good

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Its hard buying books when one cant get past all the public realm stuff free on the Kindle marketplace. Currently reading War and Peace.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Prior Bad Acts was really good
    I'm listening to Ashes to Ashes via Audible every night before I fall asleep. Pretty good story. But one thing that's putting me off is that the narrator's voicing of the female characters. And trying to do all of the characters in a different voice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm listening to Ashes to Ashes via Audible every night before I fall asleep. Pretty good story. But one thing that's putting me off is that the narrator's voicing of the female characters. And trying to do all of the characters in a different voice.
    I do think David Colacci gets better with that as the books progress. As noted earlier, a lot of going on in A2A with the characters and establishing the world. After this book, it's calmed down quite a bit.

Speaking of which, I have Bitter Season in my cart waiting to check out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    You all need to check out the Red Rising trilogy, if you haven't already. Now that was a fantastic read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I do think David Colacci gets better with that as the books progress. As noted earlier, a lot of going on in A2A with the characters and establishing the world. After this book, it's calmed down quite a bit.

Just finished 9th Girl, ending happened really fast but it was still really good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

It's actually gotten better over the last couple of days. I think maybe I just noticed it too much initially and it kept my focus off the story. But I'm enjoying it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    It's actually gotten better over the last couple of days. I think maybe I just noticed it too much initially and it kept my focus off the story. But I'm enjoying it.
    His Kovac voice is exactly as I would imagine Sam sounding. His Liska voice changed between this book and D2D.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    His Kovac voice is exactly as I would imagine Sam sounding. His Liska voice changed between this book and D2D.
    The most annoying to me by far is Angie. I guess he's trying to make a clear differentiation between her and Kate. But it sounds like a voice one would make if they were mocking their wife or something. LOL.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    The most annoying to me by far is Angie. I guess he's trying to make a clear differentiation between her and Kate. But it sounds like a voice one would make if they were mocking their wife or something. LOL.
    There aren't that many Ray Porters out there, that's for sure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Chinook , I was initially annoyed at the lack of Kovak and Liska in Cold, Cold, Heart but damn it may have been my favorite so far. On to the Bitter Season - have you read any of her other books?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Chinook , I was initially annoyed at the lack of Kovak and Liska in Cold, Cold, Heart but damn it may have been my favorite so far. On to the Bitter Season - have you read any of her other books?
    I haven't. I only have A Thin Dark Line as non-Kovac/Liska. But that's still as of yet unread.

I haven't gotten to Bitter Season yet, because I'm about 30 percent through King of Thorns. You'll probably pass me up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I haven't. I only have A Thin Dark Line as non-Kovac/Liska. But that's still as of yet unread.

I haven't gotten to Bitter Season yet, because I'm about 30 percent through King of Thorns. You'll probably pass me up.
    hah, I'm just thankful for the recommendation, I'll read everything she has written now. Bitter Season was fantastic, you'll love it. My daughter went to Schlitterbahn with her grandparents and I read all day. Gonna start Deeper than Dead next.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    hah, I'm just thankful for the recommendation, I'll read everything she has written now. Bitter Season was fantastic, you'll love it. My daughter went to Schlitterbahn with her grandparents and I read all day. Gonna start Deeper than Dead next.
    I'll probably start Bitter Season tomorrow. I just finished Emperor of Thorns. Red Queen's War is definitely a much better trilogy. I actually felt like EoT started off with a lot of potential but just kind of fell flat at the end. It was a better journey series than it was a destination series, but I'd give RQW the nod in both.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I will say, though, that I'm flashing through parts of Wheel of Osheim with knowledge of The Broken Empire series. Definitely a deeper reading. But I like that I read them in this order. RQW was better, so I appreciate not having any of it spoiled by BE.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    yeah RQW had a lot more depth, was definitely better. BE isn't bad for a first effort, and I am looking forward to the Red Sister trilogy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    yeah RQW had a lot more depth, was definitely better. BE isn't bad for a first effort, and I am looking forward to the Red Sister trilogy
    I am too (so much so that I probably won't start it until 2019). I'm kind of bummed that it won't take place in BE universe, but at the same time, they found two different ways to sort of end it anyway. I want to see what Lawrence does with a new world and if it's going to still have a GoT feel.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Odd John...Olaf Stapledon

Odd John

First edition cover
    Author Olaf Stapledon
    Country United Kingdom
    Language English
    Genre Science fiction novel
    Published 1935 (Methuen)
    Media type Print (hardback & paperback)
    Odd John: A Story Between Jest and Earnest is a 1935 science fiction novel by the British author Olaf Stapledon. The novel explores the theme of the Übermensch (superman) in the character of John Wainwright, whose supernormal human mentality inevitably leads to conflict with normal human society and to the destruction of the utopian colony founded by John and other superhumans.

The novel resonates with the ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche and the work of English writer J. D. Beresford, with an allusion to Beresford's superhuman child character of Victor Stott in The Hampdenshire Wonder (1911). As the devoted narrator remarks, John does not feel obliged to observe the restricted morality of sapiens. Stapledon's recurrent vision of cosmic angst – that the universe may be indifferent to intelligence, no matter how spiritually refined – also gives the story added depth. Later explorations of the theme of the superhuman and of the incompatibility of the normal with the supernormal occur in the works of Stanisław Lem, Frank Herbert, Wilmar Shiras, Robert Heinlein and Vernor Vinge, among others.

The book is mentioned by Julian May in Intervention, part of the Galactic Milieu Series. It is also responsible for coining the term " superior".[1][2]

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Just wrapping up Bitter Season. I can honestly say that I've never hated a character more than I hated Evi Burke. She taints what is actually a very good book otherwise. Love how the plots interweave and some of the family philosophy. But really, I'm just sick about Evi and the way she's evaluated. Can't stand it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Just wrapping up Bitter Season. I can honestly say that I've never hated a character more than I hated Evi Burke. She taints what is actually a very good book otherwise. Love how the plots interweave and some of the family philosophy. But really, I'm just sick about Evi and the way she's evaluated. Can't stand it.
    yeah she was terrible. I am on the second Oak Knoll book, I should probably take a break from reading serial killer books

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    yeah she was terrible. I am on the second Oak Knoll book, I should probably take a break from reading serial killer books
    I definitely like to change things up. I have five books loaded on my device right now: In the Heart of the Sea, Battle Cruiser: Lost Colonies by BV Larson, The Handmaid's Tale, NOS4A2 by Joe hill (still can't really get into it), and It's What I Do by Lynsey Addario.

I'm not sure where I'm going to go with those, but I'd like to clear them off so they don't keep clogging up my queue.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Just finished the Oak Knoll Trilogy, pretty good stuff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just finished the Oak Knoll Trilogy, pretty good stuff.
    Damn you find a lot of time to read. I'm envious.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Damn you find a lot of time to read. I'm envious.
    I work from home and have my daughter half the time.

Thread Information