Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I work from home and have my daughter half the time.
    I wish I could work from home. No reason I couldn't other than a boss that doesn't understand the Internet. So I end up spending hours on Spirstalk. Lol. How old is your daughter? (no Avante)

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I wish I could work from home. No reason I couldn't other than a boss that doesn't understand the Internet. So I end up spending hours on Spirstalk. Lol. How old is your daughter? (no Avante)
    11, and she reads faster than I do. She's starting middle school in two weeks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    11, and she reads faster than I do. She's starting middle school in two weeks.
    My daughter's school is doing their best to turn her off on reading. For the summer, they assigned them 2 books to read. No big deal. But they wanted them to annotate every page of the book. Every page. Regardless of whether there was anything worth mentioning.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    My daughter's school is doing their best to turn her off on reading. For the summer, they assigned them 2 books to read. No big deal. But they wanted them to annotate every page of the book. Every page. Regardless of whether there was anything worth mentioning.
    I HATED marking in my books, so I'd've probably just checked out. In fact, I really never cared for English class, despite the fact that I've always like reading, writing and language.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I HATED marking in my books, so I'd've probably just checked out. In fact, I really never cared for English class, despite the fact that I've always like reading, writing and language.
    Me too, my personal books are unmarked. I use the highlighting on the Kindle and bookmark to remember specific parts later though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I finished all the non-romance novel Hoag books last week Chinook, Deer Lake 1&2 were good but obviously her first efforts and not as good as the other series. I also read the new Star Wars books this week, and while they were fairly entertaining, not as good as the Zahn books. I am reading the Everything Box by Richard Kadrey before starting the Water Knife.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I finished all the non-romance novel Hoag books last week Chinook, Deer Lake 1&2 were good but obviously her first efforts and not as good as the other series. I also read the new Star Wars books this week, and while they were fairly entertaining, not as good as the Zahn books. I am reading the Everything Box by Richard Kadrey before starting the Water Knife.
    I could not make it through Ashes to Aahes in Audible. I think because I couldn't just skim through the Kate/Quinn romance scenes and thoughts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I could not make it through Ashes to Aahes in Audible. I think because I couldn't just skim through the Kate/Quinn romance scenes and thoughts.
    Then just try D2D. You barely miss anything, and the character arcs for Kovac and Liska don't really start until that book anyway.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Which SW books? I'll look up Everything Box. Road-tripping this week, and I'm listening to Obelisk Gate during the drive. It's the second book in the Broken Earth trilogy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Which SW books? I'll look up Everything Box. Road-tripping this week, and I'm listening to Obelisk Gate during the drive. It's the second book in the Broken Earth trilogy.
    Aftermath and Life Debt by Chuck Wendig. I got the first book in Broken Earth, it just won a Nebula award.
    Last edited by leemajors; 08-21-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Then just try D2D. You barely miss anything, and the character arcs for Kovac and Liska don't really start until that book anyway.
    Might do that. It's hard to believe that this didn't turn in to a John Quinn and Kate series. Was surprised to hear it was Lissa/Kovak.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Aftermath and Life Debt by Chuck Wendig. I got the first book in Broken Earth, it just won a Nebula award.
    How'd Fifth Season turn out for you?

I will say, this hasn't been a great month for me and books. After Obelisk Gate, I listened to Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. That book (and especially that audiobook) was fantastic. Then I listened to Red Shirts by John Scalzi. That was also good.

Then it got weird. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell was great in the first half when she wasn't trying to actually write a serious story. But once she decided to actually get own with the plot, it sort of ground to a halt. Still great dialog and characters, but the story was bland, and it felt like just an excuse to have some M/M shipping going on.

After that, my friend and I started a writing challenge where we are each making short stories that blend Cosmic Horror with an underdog sports story. So I've been trying to get in some Lovecraftian stories, and I find that I don't really like them. Lovecraft was a deplorable human being, and even if his writing didn't show that, his horror is sort of outdated. So I'm in a position where I don't want to read/listen to his stories but won't let myself do anything else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I will say, this hasn't been a great month for me and books. After Obelisk Gate, I listened to Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. That book (and especially that audiobook) was fantastic. Then I listened to Red Shirts by John Scalzi. That was also good.

Then it got weird. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell was great in the first half when she wasn't trying to actually write a serious story. But once she decided to actually get own with the plot, it sort of ground to a halt. Still great dialog and characters, but the story was bland, and it felt like just an excuse to have some M/M shipping going on.

After that, my friend and I started a writing challenge where we are each making short stories that blend Cosmic Horror with an underdog sports story. So I've been trying to get in some Lovecraftian stories, and I find that I don't really like them. Lovecraft was a deplorable human being, and even if his writing didn't show that, his horror is sort of outdated. So I'm in a position where I don't want to read/listen to his stories but won't let myself do anything else.
    I actually got stuck reading Carl Hiaasen books - All the Skink books (7), and am on my tenth total - reading Bad Monkey now. He is hilarious, but I need to get to Broken Earth, Water Knife, and the Three Body Problem. I was looking at Christopher Moore's website and hadn't realized there was a recommended books section :/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What are these books??!!! I need more books to read. What genre are they?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I want in on that writing challenge. Is it a Book of the Dead style?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    What are these books??!!! I need more books to read. What genre are they?
    I want in on that writing challenge. Is it a Book of the Dead style?
    Someone's eager.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Chinook started Water Knife yesterday.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Chinook started Water Knife yesterday.
    Cool. Interested to see what you think. As I've said, I'm quite the fan of it. For me, I'm still on this writing challenge, so I've listened (and relistened) to cosmic horror stories. Favorite Lovecraft was Shadow Out of Time, which I think captures the genre's mix of subtlety (no jump scares or gore) and mind-breaking hugeness. And it's shock ending actually hits its mark, as opposed to many of his other stories, which I found to be really dated. Color Out of Space, Dunwich Horror and Call of Cthulhu are also strong works in the genre, but they all show their age.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Cool. Interested to see what you think. As I've said, I'm quite the fan of it. For me, I'm still on this writing challenge, so I've listened (and relistened) to cosmic horror stories. Favorite Lovecraft was Shadow Out of Time, which I think captures the genre's mix of subtlety (no jump scares or gore) and mind-breaking hugeness. And it's shock ending actually hits its mark, as opposed to many of his other stories, which I found to be really dated. Color Out of Space, Dunwich Horror and Call of Cthulhu are also strong works in the genre, but they all show their age.
    It was pretty good, ending surprised me a bit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    It was pretty good, ending surprised me a bit.
    Yeah, I loved the ending of it. It was dark and realistic, but it still felt satisfying for all the characters involved.

So I have finished for the time being with my exploration of Cosmic Horror. Last book I read was a collection of Lovecraft tributes called Lovecraft's Monsters. For someone like me who was trying to figure out how to mesh Lovecraft with other genres, this was a really good buy, and the stories were very good.

Now, I'm on Gothic stories (specifically Southern Gothic and more specifically Texas Gothic). I picked up a collection of Faulkner's short stories and am working my way through that right now. Took a break to read Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. Damn, what a strange, strange book.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah, I loved the ending of it. It was dark and realistic, but it still felt satisfying for all the characters involved.

So I have finished for the time being with my exploration of Cosmic Horror. Last book I read was a collection of Lovecraft tributes called Lovecraft's Monsters. For someone like me who was trying to figure out how to mesh Lovecraft with other genres, this was a really good buy, and the stories were very good.

Now, I'm on Gothic stories (specifically Southern Gothic and more specifically Texas Gothic). I picked up a collection of Faulkner's short stories and am working my way through that right now. Took a break to read Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. Damn, what a strange, strange book.
    Child of God was pretty disturbing. I recently read Vonnegut chronologically up to Mother Night, am now reading Brandon Weeks' first Trilogy, Night Angel. Pretty goof stuff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Red Sister is out by Mark Lawrence.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Red Sister is out by Mark Lawrence.
    Awesome, but I'm going to have to pretend like it doesn't exist for two more years. I was really fortunate to discover RQW a month or so after WoO was released. It's going in my wish list so I can make sure to pick it up when it's on sale.

Books I've read over the last four-plus months:

Cycle of Arwan and first two books of Cycle of Galand: Series started off slowly, but it really grew on me as it went on. Can't wait for the third CoG book to come out on Audible.

The Hike: Very solid short book about a guy walking through the woods.

Sphere: Compelling book that was apparently made into a bad movie.

Seventh Bride: Another cheap book that was actually pretty funny. The ending was weak, but the whole felt pretty nice overall. Never tried to be more than it was.

Riyria: I don't see it listed here. Red all nine books of that. It was fun.

American Gods: Probably doesn't need an explanation.

Speaks the Nightbird: Thought it was a perfect example of Gothic Horror. It manages to do all of that while being realistic, which is impressive. It's not exactly Hawthornesque in terms of prose, but it is written in a old-feeling style, which can be a turn-off.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Waiting for Infinity Engine to be adapted into an audiobook so I can finish up the Transformations trilogy. Also very excited to see who Broken Earth will end once Stone Sky comes out. Also, there is supposed to be a new David Wong book out this year. Good stuff.

Now if Peter Clines can put out something that isn't part of Ex-Heroes, it'll be a great year.

Thread Information