Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm looking for a new book and was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction. After reading a thread a while back I got American Psycho, which was awesome, and was looking for something somewhat similar. I haven't read any of Hunter S. Thompson, but when I hear the narration in the movies he sounds like an interesting writer.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I liked Horns by Joe Hill.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Carolina Tar Heels

or

silverblk mystix
    I just started...11/22/63 by Stephen King...

If you like time travel...psych thrillers....you will love this.

The date is, of course, the day JFK was killed...and this is a time travel...portal...back to 1958...and the character has a chance to change history by stopping oswald....

pretty awesome so far...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Finnegan's Wake...you'll have a stroke by the 2nd page.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Agloco, go yourself. I've been tortured with enough physics. silverblk, that sounds interesting I'll look into that.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "Going Wrong" by Ruth Rendell

It's not new, but, it is outstanding work. I've read it 3 times and each time it only gets better.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "Victim: The Other Side of Murder" by Steven Kinder

It's nonfiction and is the story of the "hi-fi murder case" in SLC in the late 70s. The retelling of the actual murder won't leave you ever so take that in account afore you start.

------

"Last Rampage" by James Clarke. The Tison gang's breakout from the Arizona State Pen in the late 70s and their murderous rampage reads like a novel. It's fantastic.

silverblk mystix
    Agloco, go yourself. I've been tortured with enough physics. silverblk, that sounds interesting I'll look into that.

I particularly enjoy some of the stuff that the time traveler observes from 1958...such as;

Milk Bottles delivered to your door every morning...and the taste of the milk...

The switch on cars to change from low lights to bright lights...on the lower left foot panel...in a metal switch that you work with your left foot....(when was the last time anyone mentioned that...or if anyone here has any grandpas with old pickup trucks--might remember seeing this)

Women in sundresses who would die of embarrassment if even a bra-strap peeked out of their dress...and the time traveler observes how shocked these women would be if they could see 2011's women with their tats...bodies displayed without shame,etc....

5 or 10 cent frosty mugs of rootbeer...bought in a drugstore or pharmacy...and the full bodied taste of the root beer....

love reading some of these gems....

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^I'll be looking into that as well.

silverblk mystix
    ^I'll be looking into that as well.
    so far a great read....and it is around 850 pages....yikes!

Try ebay...for a little discount...I usually wait for the paperback version...but kinda knew I couldn't wait...so I will just keep the hardcover....

probably grab an electronic bookreader soon...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yep, these are EXACTLY like American Psycho.

Oh and my favorite book is "Demon Haunted World; Science as a candle in the dark" by Carl Sagan.

I also like "The Sign and the Seal" by Graham Han . I find his conclusions are much farther out there than I would go, but there is a lot of history in the story and that is what I like about it.
    Last edited by Drachen; 11-30-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    The switch on cars to change from low lights to bright lights...on the lower left foot panel...in a metal switch that you work with your left foot....(when was the last time anyone mentioned that...or if anyone here has any grandpas with old pickup trucks--might remember seeing this)
    Grandpas? Dude, my first car (a 1987 Dodge Ramcharger) had this. Oh and it was freaking awesome. I wish they all still had it.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    so far a great read....and it is around 850 pages....yikes!

Try ebay...for a little discount...I usually wait for the paperback version...but kinda knew I couldn't wait...so I will just keep the hardcover....

probably grab an electronic bookreader soon...
    I haven't liked King since after "The Stand"...he's always treating men like dirt. Grows old after awhile.

But, this one I'll have to read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Last King book I read was the DT7. Haven't been back since, but stuff like the Stand is gold.

Actually, if you want something good go back and read the first four dark towers. Don't read 5,6,7 though. They're not bad per say, just unsatisfying, IMO. Pretend King died.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Carolina Tar Heels
    Agloco, go yourself. I've been tortured with enough physics.
    Yep, these are EXACTLY like American Psycho.
    Ahh, yes. My drive-by posting fails again.

Sorry Hal, didn't see you elaborate on what you were looking for. At any rate, both books I recommended are light reading to be sure. A glass of fine Cognac and a pipe go well with them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I haven't liked King since after "The Stand"...he's always treating men like dirt. Grows old after awhile.

But, this one I'll have to read.
    100%. I really liked a lot of his older books and tried his new ones over the last 10 years from time to time but never could finish them. I told myself I was going to give it one more shot on 11/22/63 because it looked like an interesting story. Glad I did. Finished it a few days ago and definitely recommend it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Last King book I read was the DT7. Haven't been back since, but stuff like the Stand is gold.

Actually, if you want something good go back and read the first four dark towers. Don't read 5,6,7 though. They're not bad per say, just unsatisfying, IMO. Pretend King died.
    I liked the ending of the Dark Tower, personally. Roland as Sisyphus. And Joe Hill is writing better books than his dad these days, too.

On another note, everyone should read Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke. The Plot Against America is also an excellent work of historical fiction by Philip Roth - Lindbergh beats FDR in the election and the US does not enter WW2. I also recommend anything by Philip K .
    Last edited by leemajors; 11-30-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For the OP, you ought to try Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club. I've read Survivor and Invisible Monsters and both were pretty good. Although I've started a couple of others of his and didn't make it through them. But if you liked American Psycho, you should enjoy these.

As to Hunter Thompson, I read Fear and Loathing in LV and it had it's moments. He really nails certain moments. But as a whole, I wouldn't recommend.

In the last few years, the best and most memorable book I read was City of Thieves. One of the few books I've read lately that lived up to the the rave reviews.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Dang... and I was about to recommend MTW.

silverblk mystix

Most people think King is only horror...

I tend to gravitate to his psychological stories...like the Dead Zone...Delores Claiborne...

...and his memoir...On Writing...was excellent...

his short story...The Body (Movie: Stand by Me) was nice...

Hearts in Atlantis...good...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I tend to gravitate to his psychological stories...like the Dead Zone...Delores Claiborne...

I agree with sbm again. His non-horror holds up much better than a lot of his other work. Check out Different Seasons which has 4 novellas. 3 were made into movies including the excellent Shawshank Redemption (orginally Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption) and as mentioned above, Stand by Me. Also the Bachman Boooks were very good although they leaned more toward the horror side.

silverblk mystix
    I agree with sbm again. His non-horror holds up much better than a lot of his other work. Check out Different Seasons which has 4 novellas. 3 were made into movies including the excellent Shawshank Redemption (orginally Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption) and as mentioned above, Stand by Me. Also the Bachman Boooks were very good although they leaned more toward the horror side.
    How could I forget Shawshank....

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    Name
    Sean Jacquemotte
    Grew up on the NE side-Briarwick.Stationed at Ft. Carson, CO
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    A book like American Psycho....hmmmmm. Oh I know

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Hearts in Atlantis was a great book, and possibly one of the worst movies ever.

Thread Information