Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those of you interested:

I read Shaq's book (and no, its not a picture book - Thanks Admiral) "Uncut" and in it, he mentions Timmy several times in a very respectful and admiring way. He said that Tim was a cool cat that couldn't be rattled. He'd talk mess to him and try to get in his head but Tim would never bite.

Here are a couple of quotes from the book:

The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and then say, “Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass.”

You gotta love that. I used to say Duncan and I were like two mafia bosses. I was the loud East Coast boss, taking names, knocking heads. Tim was the laid-back, one-hundred-acre farm don. Nobody knows what he does, he’s the chill mafia guy, but we both know how to carry out a hit. I was jealous of guys like Duncan and Kevin Garnett, who got to do stuff like face up and shimmy.

On Tim's health:

"I ran into Gregg Popovich in the bathroom in the spring of the 2010–11 season, and I asked how Timmy was doing, and Pop said, “His knee is bone on bone.”

Shaq on the WCF games against Spurs in 2001:

"We took Game 1. In Game 2 they were up 15 in the third quarter and Duncan was terrific, and I was like, Damn, we can’t let this happen. Kobe was thinking the same thing, and he just took over the game. He went nuts. He was spectacular and the Spurs had no answer. He brought us all the way back, and after we won I said, “He’s my idol.” And I wasn’t even kidding. We went on to sweep the Spurs—did you hear that? We swept the Spurs!"

Shaq's honest opinion of Pop and Tim through the years:

"Even though I thought a lot of Pop and Duncan, I said some crap about the Spurs through the years. But the truth is, I didn’t mean it. Those two guys knew that. They understood how I rolled. But you know at some point Pop is going to get me back. So they foul the out of me in the ’08 playoffs and I’m a little irritated. We play them in the season opener the following year, and the first time I touch the ball—I’m talking like five seconds into the game—they hack me. I look over at their bench like, Are you kidding me? and there’s Pop, laughing his ass off, giving me the two thumbs-up. You gotta love a guy who has a sense of humor like that. Pop understood that even though I respected him I had to market myself and sometimes that meant saying stuff to amp up the game. It was never personal. So he played along."

Thought it would be Spurs vs Celtics last year:

"They brought me in to bang Dwight Howard, and he was gone. They wanted me to rebound against the Lakers. They were gone, too. I thought it would be us and the Spurs, me and Tim Duncan, two guys with four rings going at it—but they were gone, too. I did everything I could to get back on the court. I have the holes in the back of my heel to prove it."

Much love for Tim:

"I think I’ve made it pretty clear how I feel about Tim Duncan. One of the best ever. The Spurs have changed their offense to protect Timmy a little. He’s always been a team player, so you’ll never hear him complain."
    Last edited by tmtcsc; 12-01-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That started out great, but that last sentence is a REAL DOWNER. wow.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

On Tim's health:

"I ran into Gregg Popovich in the bathroom in the spring of the 2010–11 season, and I asked how Timmy was doing, and Pop said, “His knee is bone on bone.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to be pretty stupid to let Shaq get in your head

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's gonna be really ing sad and just plain weird not having Tim in a year or two.

Tim, Shaq and Kobe are all past prime/retired.

It makes me feel old and sick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's gonna be really ing sad and just plain weird not having Tim in a year or two.

Tim, Shaq and Kobe are all past prime/retired.

It makes me feel old and sick.
    Very weird feeling...even Manu's retirement coming soon. Just because of my age it's hard not associating the NBA as Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Iverson, etc. and a bunch of other players. These guys were the faces of the league for a long time, and it's just crazy thinking that the draft class of 2003 (Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Melo) have almost been in the league for a decade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry Spurs will tank next season get the next young tired old bag Kobe Bryant-Shabazz Muhammad, and have $30 million of Salary Cap room possibly, and go after Blake Griffin in the summer of 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shabazz is a bad mfer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bone on Bone......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shabazz is a bad mfer
    yeah dude will be a top 5 player in this league in a few years, see him as a better shooting Dwayne Wade. I would be willing to let the Spurs suck next season in order for a chance to get him, if not I heard there's a few other damn good players also, but defintley Shabazz is way over all of them.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very weird feeling...even Manu's retirement coming soon. Just because of my age it's hard not associating the NBA as Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Iverson, etc. and a bunch of other players. These guys were the faces of the league for a long time, and it's just crazy thinking that the draft class of 2003 (Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Melo) have almost been in the league for a decade.
    I feel the same way.

And I really don't like this generation of players. Lebron, Melo, Wade, Amare, Paul, DWill...I feel nothing for them.

I love Tim, Shaq and Kobe's games and the mostly unspoken rivalry. It'll be a legend. These guys won't be forgotten.

The prime guys today will have none of that.

I like Rose's and Durant's games, but I don't see true hall of fame greatness in any of the prime guys this generation. Rose and Durant may step into Kobe/Shaq and Duncan-like roles, but it's not a given. They need to start writing their legacies if they really want to leave them.

Lol I'm 23 and I know this reads like some grumpy old fart post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats why I never had a problem with Shaqs at ude ... he never said about my favorite player. Thanx for the new signature ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry Spurs will tank next season get the next young tired old bag Kobe Bryant-Shabazz Muhammad, and have $30 million of Salary Cap room possibly, and go after Blake Griffin in the summer of 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bone on Bone......
    Yes I'm surprised no one has really commented on that. That's serious. Bone on one, and that was referring to the 2010-2011 season last year. And the legend that is Tim Duncan only grows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why the hype for Shebazz all of a sudden?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember Shaq getting in David Robinson's face once. David pushed him away much the same way he pushed Kevin Garnett.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn! I didn't know Timmy was bone on bone already? With Kobe you hear about it every 10 seconds when the Lakers are playing, but Timmy is so humble he has kept it quiet from the fans and media for a long time. Could somebody please refer Timmy to that Nazi doctor that fixed the popes and kobe's knee.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not as funny as when you all found out Kobe was bone on bone.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as funny as when you all found out Kobe was bone on bone.
    Timmy and Kobe have been some my of favorite players for the past ten years. It sucks to see them decline physically because the NBA will not be the same without these two guys. Timmy and Kobe have been the face of the NBA since 99 and have 9 les between them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given his knees and the craziness of this year schedule, Pop should consider benching Duncan to limit his minutes. With Spurs current roster, the best way to do it would be to start Blair with Splitter and have Bonner and Duncan coming from the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does not matter if you start him or if Timmy is coming from the bench. But something around 26-28 minutes should be all he plays ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting the quotes! Not good to hear about his knee.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given his knees and the craziness of this year schedule, Pop should consider benching Duncan to limit his minutes. With Spurs current roster, the best way to do it would be to start Blair with Splitter and have Bonner and Duncan coming from the bench.
    Duncan coming off the bench just feels wrong. He would never complain, though.

I'd prefer him starting, but coming out at the 6:00 mark of the 1st quarter and just playing situational minutes from there. 6 minutes in each quarter adds up to 24 per game, not excessive by any means. First 6 of the 1st and 3rd quarters, last 6 of the 2nd and 4th (cut the 4th quarter minutes if it's a blowout). Also sitting him for the second game of a B2B or B2B2B will help.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You can't bring him off the bench. It's not done with a player of his heritage. He'd be made a fool of & he'd lose all referee protocol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is done

Just retire already, you tired old bag

Thread Information