Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Fedoras offense looks made for manziel

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Not so sure it will be Sumlin anymore. I was convinced he was their man (and I still think it was) but it seems they have decided to slow the process down and hold some interviews.

Rumor is Kevin Sumlin, Charlie Strong and Kirby Smart will all interview within the next few days and Larry Fedora is still a possibility as well. There is also some smoke about Gary Patterson but I doubt that's likely.

UCLA is also very interested in Sumlin so I wouldn't be surprised if he took that job if he feels we are moving in a different direction.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    black coach at A&M?

(2012 is coming)

i am less than excited.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    black coach at A&M?

(2012 is coming)
    Why does that surprise you? Texas might have issues with it (what with its dorm named after a Klan leader and everything), but we obviously don't have a problem with it.

I don't know much about this source, but they're saying it's a done deal. I would have preferred Fedora or Strong, but oh well.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...uston-players/

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Why does that surprise you? Texas might have issues with it (what with its dorm named after a Klan leader and everything), but we obviously don't have a problem with it.
    /
    lol prairie view a&m

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    /
    lol prairie view a&m

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    lol still segregated

almost 2012

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    i am less than excited.
    Better hire than Sherman, but I wouldn't be excited about Sumlin either.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    lol still segregated

almost 2012
    lol clueless

(moving away from the previous topic and back on track..)

What in the world is taking so long? maybe we are not getting Sumlin, and its someone much bigger, dare I say?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

What in the world is taking so long? maybe we are not getting Sumlin, and its someone much bigger, dare I say?
    Greg Davis?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

There were rumors yesterday that Mark Richt from Georgia might be interested since Georgia hasn't extended his contract yet (though he might just be leveraging the prospect to force an extension). I think Petersen may have turned us down.

Quite a few people seem to think Sumlin was already the choice, and the 'search' was merely to provide the appearance that the administration had done its due diligence (though if that was all it was, you think they'd have come out with it by now; dragging it out this long is giving people hope it will be someone else - 5-7 in C-USA last year, plus the loss to USM in Sumlin's most important game does not inspire confidence).

Also, there was a rumor that Byrne wanted Fedora, but the BOR wouldn't approve it. Who knows; I just wish they'd announce someone already.

There were rumors yesterday that Mark Richt from Georgia might be interested since Georgia hasn't extended his contract yet (though he might just be leveraging the prospect to force an extension). I think Petersen may have turned us down.

Quite a few people seem to think Sumlin was already the choice, and the 'search' was merely to provide the appearance that the administration had done its due diligence (though if that was all it was, you think they'd have come out with it by now; dragging it out this long is giving people hope it will be someone else - 5-7 in C-USA last year, plus the loss to USM in Sumlin's most important game does not inspire confidence).

Also, there was a rumor that Byrne wanted Fedora, but the BOR wouldn't approve it. Who knows; I just wish they'd announce someone already.
    I am aware. Was looking for something more interesting..

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Nobody knows . They are keeping it so quiet after that Sherman leak that people aren't saying 1 word about anything.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    http://tamu.rivals.com/

They're saying it's Sumlin and will probably be announced tomorrow. Rumor is Richt turned us down.

They're also saying he's firing all assistants (DeRuyter's gone). He wasn't really my first choice (or third or fourth...), but hopefully this works out. I'm interested to see who he brings in at DC (hopefully not the one he had at Houston).

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Richt crap is all speculation (no certain truth that he turned us down or even got an offer) Petersen crap was all speculation, as was most other things out there.

Only facts are Sumlin, Fedora, Smart and Calhoun interviewed. Sumlin was ultimately picked. Everything else is a waste of breath talking about.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Sumlin accepts Texas A&M coaching job

Kevin Sumlin has accepted an offer to become the next head coach at Texas A&M, a source confirmed Saturday to CBS Sports. The 47-year-old Sumlin, a former Aggies offensive coordinator a decade ago, led Houston to a 12-1 record this season. He replaces Mike Sherman, who was fired after coaching the Aggies, ranked preseason No. 8 in the AP poll, to a 6-6 record this year. Sherman was 25-25 in four seasons at A&M and just 15-18 in Big 12 play.

Sumlin, 35-17 in his four seasons at Houston, takes over at A&M as the Aggies are making the jump into a much deeper conference in the SEC. It is a A&M proud program with top facilities and great resources, but has only finished ranked one time in the past dozen years.

Having worked under Bob Stoops, R.C. Slo , Joe Tiller, among others, Sumlin has long been pegged as "a rising star" in the business. Staffers who have worked with him gush about what a great motivator he is, saying that he is "a player's coach" yet a real discipline guy at the same time. The Birmingham, Ala. native is also regarded as a great closer with recruits and their parents, according to colleagues.

Sumlin's name had come up in connection to other vacancies at UCLA, ASU and Illinois this year, but from the moment Sherman was fired on December 1, it appeared likely College Station would be the place he ended up. Sumlin did wonders there in his first time on staff. He took over the Aggies offensive coordinator role three games into the 2002 season and the team went from averaging 16 points per game to 33 points per game. They even upset No. 1 Oklahoma, 30-26 using a back-up freshman quarterback (Reggie McNeal). After two seasons at A&M, Sumlin moved on to OU before eventually getting hired to take over at Houston in December of 2007.

At UH, Sumlin built on what Art Briles had done. He gave an unheralded Texas Tech assistant Dana Holgorsen the chance to call plays. That proved to be a shrewd move. The Cougars turned into one of the country's most prolific offenses. After Holgorsen moved on, the UH attack continued to pile up points as Sumlin picked Kliff Kingsbury to run the offense. This year, the Cougars averaged 51 points per game and 599 yards of total offense, both are No. 1 in the nation. Houston made it up to No. 6 in the BCS rankings before being upset by Southern Miss last Saturday in the Conference USA le game. They will face Penn State in the TicketCity Bowl in Dallas on Jan. 2. Sumlin will not coach UH in the bowl game.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It is a A&M proud program with top facilities and great resources, but has only finished ranked one time in the past dozen years.

ouch

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    didnt know they were that bad

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Butch Davis would have looked good in college station.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    So Sumlin will be bringing the Leach offense to A&M and the SEC?

That should be fun to watch.

Thread Information