Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I was the charter fan who was dead set against it.
    Would you still be against the trade if it enables the Lakers to bring in Dwight Howard as well (using the trade exception/Bynum/draft pick(s))?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    looks like the beef with stern on teh deal is youth more than value. i wonder if this is dead. dont think houston can provide that

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Would you still be against the trade if it enables the Lakers to bring in Dwight Howard as well (using the trade exception/Bynum/draft pick(s))?
    I'm also the charter fan against Howard. I want neither.

Veteran
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm also the charter fan against Howard. I want neither.
    Wow. I think that even without a PF, a lineup of Paul/Bryant/World Peace/Howard would be unbeatable.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wow. I think that even without a PF, a lineup of Paul/Bryant/World Peace/Howard would be unbeatable.
    Based on what? Neither Paul nor Howard have ever accomplished a thing. Bynum, Gasol and Odom have all three actually done it. It looks easy in December. Ain't so easy in June.

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lol, look at 21 sitting pretty with his boy Bynum.

I'm just ecstatic Fisher will be out of my life for those 28 horrifying minutes he played every Laker game.

Pau is washed-up pussy. The Lakers agree with me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're pulling a Culby... repeat it over and over and see if it sticks...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    man adrian woj really hates stern. heard him on yahoo radio. speculates if the trade is changed enough stern will just approve it to avoid the hate. suggests stern doesnt like his job anymore the new owners are tough to work with.
    other outlets are reporting the hornets are only going after youth and pics. nothing else no matter the team.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...es_in_new.html

Chris Paul arrived at the Alario Center an hour before the New Orleans Hornets'
    scheduled start of training camp and is participating in workouts with the team.

Sources confirmed that Hornets General Manager Dell Demps is back negotiating with the Lakers and Houston Rockets to get a deal done involving Paul after the NBA Commissioner David Stern nixed the trade Thursday night that had Paul going to the Lakers.

Demps is set to address the media this afternoon.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Slave mastahhhh Stern!

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    it would be great if lakeshow broke up their elite championship frontline for a pg with bum knee, as long as they dont get d12, anything but that, if they do, considering how great of a free agent destination la is, nba would be ed for the next 5 years, if not more
    Last edited by Stalin; 12-09-2011 at 06:33 PM.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    stern doesnt like his job anymore the new owners are tough to work with.
    This.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...al-sources-say

The New Orleans Hornets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets are "hopeful" of reconfiguring their three-team trade to the point that NBA commissioner David Stern signs off on the deal, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com the NBA on Friday afternoon gave the league-owned Hornets clearance to re-open the phones to talk to all teams about possible deals, one day after Stern nixed the trade agreed to in principle Thursday that would have landed Chris Paul with the Lakers.

Yahoo Sports! reported that, as part of that clearance, New Orleans has re-engaged the Lakers and Rockets to try to tweak Thursday's trade, which would have sent Paul to L.A., routed Pau Gasol to Houston and netted three starters for the Hornets -- Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom and Luis Scola -- in addition to guard Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick.

"Yes, we've been given autonomy to make another trade," Hornets general manager Dell Demps told reporters at a news conference Friday night.

"We're back to work and everything is on the table."

The NBA Players Association, meanwhile, has decided not to take immediate action on behalf of Paul, according to sources close to the situation.

The union will instead wait to see if the league-owned Hornets can assemble a trade that the league will approve sending Paul to a destination he welcomes.

If no such trade is made by Monday, sources said, union officials will then consider other options, including litigation.

ESPN.com reported earlier Friday that the teams involved in the blocked deal were lobbying the league in hopes of convincing Stern to reverse the decision and let the trade go through. But it's believed that Stern is unlikely to change his mind unless changes are made to the original three-team framework.

"I wish he stayed [in New Orleans]," Demps said of Paul. "I'm not going to lie about it. But it is what is."

In a statement released Friday, Stern said the "final responsibility for significant management decisions lies with the commissioner's office in consultation with team chairman Jac Sperling."
    "All decisions are made on the basis of what is in the best interests of the Hornets," Stern said. "In the case of the trade proposal that was made to the Hornets for Chris Paul, we decided, free from the influence of other NBA owners, that the team was better served with Chris in a Hornets uniform than by the outcome of the terms of that trade."
    There is no formal appeals process to reverse the ruling. The teams, however, have been lobbying the NBA reconsider all day Friday.
    NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Thursday the deal was blocked for "basketball reasons."
    The primary argument being presented to the league office for allowing the deal to go through -- as agreed to in principle by the Hornets, Lakers and Houston Rockets -- is that the NBA's decision would appear to force the Hornets to keep Paul for the rest of the season, despite the fact he can opt out of his contract and become a free agent July 1 and leave New Orleans without compensation.
    A trade of Paul elsewhere, according to the teams' argument, would mean Stern and the league are choosing where Paul would play.
    The proposed trade would have sent Paul to the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets and furnished New Orleans with three top-flight NBA players in Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom as well as playoff-tested guard Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick that Houston had acquired from the Knicks.
    Odom said he was disoriented by the deal and didn't know how to proceed. It looked as if he had made up his mind to stay away from training camp, but he did end up showing Friday, albeit more than an hour late.

"Man, I'm just in total disbelief about all of this," Odom said Thursday. "They don't want my services, for whatever reason. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I was proud to be a Laker, so I'll try to help them in the process as much as possible."
    The general reaction among rival executives was that Demps did as well as he could under the cir stances after Paul told the Hornets on Monday he would not sign a contract extension and instead planned to become a free agent July 1.
    But Stern stepped in to nix the swap and leave all three teams with s -shocked players and officials heading into Friday's start of training camps, after the commissioner insisted for months that Demps and the rest of the team's front office had autonomy over basketball decisions. Sources close to the situation said Demps and teams that have pursued Paul had been assured the Hornets had the clearance to trade Paul as they saw fit.
    In an email to Stern obtained by Yahoo! Sports, The New York Times and Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert called the proposed deal "a travesty" and urged Stern to put the deal to a vote of "the 29 owners of the Hornets," referring to the rest of the league's teams.
    Numerous sources close to the process expressed skepticism that the deal has a chance of being revived, amid a growing sense the league is now determined to keep Paul in New Orleans for an unspecified length of time -- perhaps even for the entire season -- to support the notion that lockout wasn't for naught and that the new labor deal has improved small-market teams' ability to retain star players.
    The problem there, of course, is that the Hornets -- believing they had avoided the drama that engulfed the Denver Nuggets for months last season until they finally traded Carmelo Anthony -- are left with a disgruntled star who can still opt out of his contract and leave the franchise with nothing as of July 1.
    Stern's decision to block the deal has likewise raised the question of whether New Orleans can trade Paul anywhere until a new buyer for the team is found, because any deal that does go through could create the appearance that Stern hand-picked the destination.
    Outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who voted against the NBA's new labor deal, agreed with the league's reversal, saying it would have been hypocritical coming hours after the CBA was ratified.
    "The message is we went through this lockout for a reason," Cuban said Friday on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's "Ben and Skin Show." "Again, I'm not speaking for Stern. He's not telling me his thought process. I'm just telling you my perspective, having gone through all this. There's a reason that we went through this lockout, and one of the reasons is to give small-market teams the ability to keep their stars and the ability to compete."
    Cuban has been trying for years to trade for Paul but said he would have understood the league's decision to deny a trade even if the Mavericks would have agreed to a deal to get Paul.
    "I mean, obviously, I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have understood because it was a conversation a lot of owners had long before the Laker deal was consummated," Cuban said. "It was like, 'Look, sure, I'd love him. Give him to me in a heartbeat.' But the whole idea of the lockout was to prevent stuff like that.
    "Players will always have the right to choose what they want to do as a free agent, but the players agreed to rules that said, 'You know what? Let's give the home team, the in bent team an extra advantage.' And that's how the rules were designed. I think they're going to work."

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    it would be great if lakeshow broke up their elite championship frontline for a pg with bum knee, as long as they dont get d12, anything but that, if they do, considering how great of a free agent la is, nba would be ed for the next 5 years, if not more
    A couple a guys (throw that asshole Nene in there) with cool nicknames and an NBA pay check stub.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "I wish he stayed [in New Orleans]," Demps said of Paul. "I'm not going to lie about it. But it is what is."
    I wish the he would too. We're going to rue this trade, guys. I fear it like the plague.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, but Kobe has. He drug Shaq and Pau to the party. Paul and Howard would be willing participants.
    Daddy & Pau had actual skills. Howard doesn't beyond trying mightily to get close enough to it so his stomach can relax and he can jam it. We broke Bynum of that habit.

Paul either can't or won't play basketball. He's enamored with the art of depeption and cheating. Why I'll never understand.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Watch...CP3 will be traded..and everyone will be blind sided when it isn't the Lakers.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    have serious doubts a trade gets done. might be a blessing since howard is now looking grim to New Jersey. unless he really loved houston the lakers are the only destination and they would be more ready to make a trade there

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    way to much hype around this trade, will get done most likelly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ibaka and Perkins ain't a bad combo in OKC (defensively anyway)
    So that is one and like you said, they aren't even good offensively.

There is a reason LA wants Paul and it's because they know they can compete in the west w/o being huge still.

Dallas: Dirk and Brenda now that they lost Tyson.
    Denver: Probably losing Nene, but even if not, not a great front line
    Spurs: Aging Tim and Bonner (Tiago is there but how much will he play/help?)
    OKC: Already discussed
    Portland: If Oden is healthy, this is the only true big frontline to contend with.
    N.O: Losing west & paul not contender and don't have big frontline to worry about

Really UTA/POR/CLIPPERS/MEM/OKC are the only teams that have big frontlines and a lot of them are debatable on how good they are.

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    ^ still, size and defence wins championships, its better to have it than not, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They could still be a good defensive team with an upgrade on the perimeter (Paul over turnstile Fisher) and an elite athletic monster manning the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying having size isn't a good thing, but it's not needed as much now because hardly any team have a huge frontline. I still would rather have Kobe/Pau/Dwight over Kobe/Paul/Bynum, but I can see the logic on how it makes them better.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    All they have to do is let the Lakers take Scola instead of the Hornets.

Thread Information