Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont want to browse whole thread, but I just read that Gani Lawal is with Spurs. His former coach just said that. True or mentioned here before ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put this in its own thread so that hopefully someone can find confirmation.

Gani Lawal is a decent prospect. Doesn't have a high ceiling but could turn into decent depth.

If he's with the Spurs, it could just be as training camp fodder or perhaps he was signed as the fifth big. Hopefully he's fodder but there really aren't that many halfway capable bigs on the free agent market available for a minimum contract. If the Spurs want a young fifth big, Lawal would about the level of player they'd be able to snag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More on Lawal:

Picked by the Suns in the second round of 2010 draft. Played last year in the DLeague and put up pretty good numbers in limited playing time. Tore his ACL in January but was able to play during the lockout in Poland. His Polish stats were really good but I imagine the compe ion level. He was then released by the Suns a couple days ago because his contract would have become guaranteed if he made their training camp roster

Since he's coming off of a torn ACL, there's no way the Spurs would give him a guaranteed deal. Looks like training camp fodder . . .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't help the Spurs right now.
    I really hope Dice would be back and play 15min per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the Spurs' successful offseason continues...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol i thought the le was a joke

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I figured the Spurs were going to add a "who the is that?" guy pretty soon. Happy to see that they've started doing it. I'd rather have Lawal than Dice, so we're already seeing upgrades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletic, good rebounder, solid defender. Put up equal numbers to his teammate Derrick Favors. Obviously a few years older and he doesn't have that kind of upside. But he's still a good signing if this is true. I remember a mock had us taking him in the first round last year at 20. Maybe he's a good fit.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a bad try. especially if Blair is traded.
    Lawal could develope into a good defender.
    could become a Udonis Haslem type player, if he can improve his jumper.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put this in its own thread so that hopefully someone can find confirmation.

Gani Lawal is a decent prospect. Doesn't have a high ceiling but could turn into decent depth.
    ok, thanks.

I add site where I found that info. http://sport.zgora.pl/kosz/chcemy-la...rs,d24516.html

There is something like "Gani was our and league best player. Of course we want him back. Recently he was fired from Suns, but <<what I have heard he is with San Antonio Spurs>> ".

Gani left this Zielona Gora team, but he stayed in contact with guys. He sent them package of basketball stuff, like shoes, for whole team. So they want him back, but they know that his goal is to play in NBA.

I guess they have no interest in telling unconfirmed info about his status.

He was a true beast in , let`s face, weak polish league. And Zielona Gora wanted to add Jordan Williams (#32 2011 draft pick, out of Maryland), but lock out ended. He even arrive there, but never had chance to play.

That`s why I am asking about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the news.

With the training camp being in December this year, it's really hard for teams to get quality players for the training camp because a lot of players are overseas. It's good to see Spurs being able to add a player who isn't fully irrelevant.

On the other hand, if Lawal has been signed to be the 5th bigman, I would be more skeptical. I obviously don't know him enough to judge him but he doesn't look good enough on the paper to play that role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice screen and roll candidate for Cory Joseph in Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Georgia Tech has turned out some decent pros. *shrugs*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he a better prospect than Earl Clark, who coincidentally, was also originally drafted by the Suns?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least were getting somebody with some size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least were getting somebody with some size.
    A 6'9" center? Maybe a PF? Ho Hum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to NBA DraftNet:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/gani-lawal

Strengths: A strong, athletic and lengthy 6'9 forward (in shoes), Lawal has been able to use his physical tools to gain the advantage over whoever guards him ... He spends the majority of his time in the post, where he is capable of making short turnaround jumpers, and finishing strong around the basket ... In regards to his post play, he has the ability to create just enough space for himself to get off a comfortable look ... his touch around the rim has seemed to improve, and he has shown signs of being able to use both hands (though limited with the left, but improved) in the paint... His activity level on the interior is very high, as his high motor and athleticism both contribute to his 8.5 rebounds per game, which is impressive considering he plays next to another big rebounder in Derrick Favors ... Scores a lot of baskets on put backs... He has a strong frame and an NBA body, and plays physical on both sides of the ball ... Does a good job at drawing contact and getting to the line, and he runs the floor well for his size, making it a habit of beating his man down the floor ... Defensively his physical play and long wingspan help him contest shots, contributing to his effectiveness defending the post ...

Weaknesses: Lawal is just a little too raw offensively, as he doesn't show you a variety of ways to score... his face up game and outside jumper will both need to improve if he wants to play real consistent minutes at the next level, as he won't be able to use his body in the pro's the same way he uses it in college... For a guy who thrives on contact and physicality in the paint, he shoots a poor 57% from the free throw line, which goes hand in hand with his non-threatening mid range or outside game... His shot selection can be questioned, as he seems to intent at time looking for his own offense down low instead of passing out of the post... Defensively he doesn't have the highest IQ, but if you tell him to body up and bang with the big guys down low, that he understands well...

Overall: What keeps Lawal from being talked about as a legit first rounder is that he doesn't stand out in any particular area... His compe iveness, desire to want the ball and high motor are admirable, but skill wise he doesn't excel above the rest in any particular category... He does however have an NBA body, and good enough hands, athleticism and size to compete at the next level... He looks like your typical hard working, energetic forward who will do the dirty work down low, and has the potential of being a nice 7th man - assuming he continues to polish his footwork and post move in the paint, and improves that mid-range game...

Another blurb I read from Suns.com, upon drafting Lawal @ #46 overall in 2010.

The 21-year-old out of Norcorss, Ga., offers a 7-foot-2 wingspan and a 31.5-inch vertical he uses to attack the glass and body up defensively. He doesn’t boast much of an outside game, but his ability to finish in traffic and run the floor makes up for his lack of shooting touch.

Read more: http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/06/2...#ixzz1gLOTV1IO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll need depth at all positions is season. Nothing wrong with signing the kid and seeing what he can do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll need depth at all positions is season. Nothing wrong with signing the kid and seeing what he can do.
    We need length too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only 6'9? =(

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This can't be good can it.. Kawhi Leonard , Gani Lawai....

With all the talk of adding another SF, It makes me think that F.O. has the two confused for one another, trying to figure out which ones which.

Kawhi reports to training camp as a 6'7" sf
    Pop: What, wait, no, this isn't... what's his name, Gani, Gani something
    RC: you mean Kawhi
    Pop: No, Gani... Gani Lawai
    RC: You mean Kawhi Leonard
    Pop: No. I mean Gani Lawai, waved by the suns last year
    RC: You mean Kawhi Leonard... the guy we traded Hill for
    Pop: Wait, we did what? I'm not following...

RC: Right, forget it... Someone get Gani's agent on the phone... tell me he's still available.

Pop: where's George...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the news.

With the training camp being in December this year, it's really hard for teams to get quality players for the training camp because a lot of players are overseas. It's good to see Spurs being able to add a player who isn't fully irrelevant.

On the other hand, if Lawal has been signed to be the 5th bigman, I would be more skeptical. I obviously don't know him enough to judge him but he doesn't look good enough on the paper to play that role.
    I don't know much about him either. I know he's not the savvy veteran that Dice is nor does he have experience and know-how of the Spurs system. However, apparently what he does have is boundless athleticism, talent and a high motor. At this point, could he be any worse than the decomposing corpse of McDyess?

Thread Information