Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zeller's probably just being kept on to give him some money to stay in Austin once he's waived.
    Spurs out-clevering themselves once again. Was it you that pointed out that the Toros have done less than nothing for the Spurs since they've been around?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I agree that the PF/C dilemma is of huge concern, and the FO deserves harsh criticism for this, the Spurs cannot afford to be so negligent that they cut off part of their future nose, to spite their present face.

With an eminent rebuild effort on the Spurs horizon, you don't part with valuable assets like Anderson or a 1st round pick. That would be negligent on the part of the front office.

Now Blair and RJ would certainly be tradeable assets that this roster wouldn't miss. Blair because it's his position you're trying to replace and RJ because he's a diminishing player with the killer contract.
    Not if you get a young, quality power forward in return. That's more of a pressing need/valuable commodity than Anderson, not just now, but going forward. I'd like to keep him and would prefer to go the Blair, Green and a 1st route to upgrade at power forward. But depending on the quality of the player coming back, Anderson shouldn't be off limits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a huge loss or anything but the bigman situation is getting pretty comical at this point. Hopefully there is some method to entering the most taxing season ever with the thinnest bigman rotation ever.
    No kidding. I'm going to a couple of games in the first week and I'm really hoping to be surprised, as in a "now I get it" moment. Because this is getting very bizarre.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't even understand why you waive him but still hold on to Zeller?
    Is there a method to the madness?
    I agree, it's madness. Pop probably has a plan to bring in an experienced big to play PF anyway.

"Hey guys, need some minutes at the 4?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    senorspur

is correct no one dare question the man and make him think about the obvious or remind him that the fans think he's drunk and i also think pop is so far disconnected from the fans these days its unbelievable!! i would say " if he doesnt pull off a great move soon, hes officially full blown re " but this happened all last year with tiago's minutes.. im sure you guys remember i was letting it get to me...but i mean i think its everyone making pops insanity bed so comfortable he has no idea he's sleeping in crazy & reached incredible heights in his state of stubbornness..or flat out refusal to do the obvious.

im not that upset im just shocked at how long this streak of bush league decisions have gone. when will it end ?? when do we actually get tired of this ? will they ever.. do we really have to let him do whatever he wants b/c of our rings?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just agreed w/ senorspur he didn't say any of the things i talked about.. i just realized i kinda threw you in there lol sorry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is overrated as

tiest championship coach EVER

Oh yeah RC too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just agreed w/ senorspur he didn't say any of the things i talked about.. i just realized i kinda threw you in there lol sorry
    I appreciate the support and the disclaimer.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs out-clevering themselves once again. Was it you that pointed out that the Toros have done less than nothing for the Spurs since they've been around?
    Nope, but it's mostly true. Not the part about out-clevering themselves in this case.

I am amazed at how good Lawal got after he was waived though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmm maybe they have someone lined up (hayes)
    Hayes is 6-4, slightly taller than Cory Joseph. You call that BIG?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for Zeller, I don't think they were in a hurry to put him on a plane by himself to Fort Wayne tonight. It's conceivable he might not even stick on the Toros when Leo Lyons comes back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not if you get a young, quality power forward in return. That's more of a pressing need/valuable commodity than Anderson, not just now, but going forward. I'd like to keep him and would prefer to go the Blair, Green and a 1st route to upgrade at power forward. But depending on the quality of the player coming back, Anderson shouldn't be off limits.
    I believe Anderson should be offlimits. He's too valuable to the Spurs present and future. His talent and potential haven't even been tapped yet because he's only appeared in 26 games. Besides that, he'll be the likely heir apparent to Manu when he hangs it up after next season. By then, Anderson should be coming into his own. Trading him away would only create yet another hole at the SG position that you'd only have to refill again later. You cannot rebuild by trading away valuable assets.

I desire a young PF/C as much as any fan on this board. However for my money, it doesn't really matter who it is. If I'm the Spurs, unless I can get a deal done with the combination of RJ+Blair, either now or by trade deadline, it doesn't get done. They'll have to wait until the draft.

Besides, since it's obvious they didn't get the message that Memphis sent them last April, watching them getting their asses handed to them again in this year's playoffs, by any veritable assortment of young, mobile PFs, would be a justifiable consequence for their inaction.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am amazed at how good Lawal got after he was waived though.
    I don't think anyone believed he was going to be a savior or anything, but at least he was an option. Getting rid of bigs, when the team is already at a glaring shortage of them as it is, just doesn't make sense.

It's like if you were being attacked by zombies, and all you had to defend yourself was a spatula. As ty as it may be, you'd still rather have that spatula to try to use, instead of just chucking it out the window and letting the zombies eat your brains.

It is exactly like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anyone believed he was going to be a savior or anything, but at least he was an option. Getting rid of bigs, when the team is already at a glaring shortage of them as it is, just doesn't make sense.

It's like if you were being attacked by zombies, and all you had to defend yourself was a spatula. As ty as it may be, you'd still rather have that spatula to try to use, instead of just chucking it out the window and letting the zombies eat your brains.

It is exactly like that.
    In that case there are like a dozen spatulas lying around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It is exactly like that.
    You must've recently watched "Night of the Living Dead".

I get your analogy, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you get down to it, none of these guys are any better than guys like Anthony Tolliver or Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who the Spurs jettisoned.

Corey Joseph looks good, considering we didn't have high expectations. But does he look any better than guys like Garrett Temple or Darius Washington, when they arrived here? Probably not.

BTW - remember Marcus Williams? He's playing in China, and shooting 65% from 2PT, and 91% from 3PT, on a decent number of attempts. I know it's not the NBA, but the hoop isn't any bigger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gani Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should have taken a couple of 3's to show he can spread the floor. It's not just the block I liked it's the fact that defensive hustle can energize a team. Who else on the team is going to make a defensive play that can energize the defense? Those types of plays we could rely on from Manu and TD are getting less and less.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you get down to it, none of these guys are any better than guys like Anthony Tolliver or Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who the Spurs jettisoned.
    It's possible the Spurs are as thin or thinner than they were when they let both of those guys go. People laugh about Pops Mensah Bonsu, but at the time he provided more to the front line than the guys Pop was throwing out there. He'd be an upgrade, because half of the problem back then is likely to be the problem now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it comes down to whether Pop wants to go back to his defensive roots. He's going to need some real big men that can get after it on the defensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it comes down to whether Pop wants to go back to his defensive roots. He's going to need some real big men that can get after it on the defensive end.
    Pop talks a good game, about his intent on getting back to a defensive iden y, but moves like this makes one question his commitment. Lawal was, by no means, a world beater, but he certainly demonstrated he had the goods necessary to bring some physical intensity, rebounding and shotblocking to a team needs more of the same.

He could've at least been a stop gap until they got someone better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop trying to make sure KMart has a spot come March.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anyone knows what Pop's motivations are. I assumed that Pop makes personnel decisions based on their personality and how they fit into the team culture, but again, who really knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder whether the FO realizes that a 3 weeks injury to anyone of the bigs will have this team fighting really hard to avoid the lottery.

I have been saying this for quite some time now: players are NOT the only part of the personel that gets old in the organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there an line on how long the Gani Lawal thread ends up being?

I'll take the over.

Seriously, I imagine the auditions will start up and more Gani-like scrubs will be signed, played, waived and subsequently lionized here. Don't waste it all on one guy.

Thread Information