Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was he that bad in yesterday's game? I thought he will make it to the roster.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao... I called it in last night's blog... good luck to him
    You sure did...that's was the first thing I thought of...other than BUMMER!

from across the pond Anonymous Cowherd's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's that old motto again?

"a bird somewhere out there in the bush is far better than a bird in your hand, so you may as well release that bird you have"

something like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
    Spurs waived Gani Lawal before E-N could write a heartwarming story on his return from knee injury. Bah humbug.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

he looked like he was a bit hurt at times last night (I thought it was his ankle) - maybe he reaggravated his knee injury?

I liked the length he showed in blocking Scola's shot - that is an aspect definitely missing from our front court (other than TD at times.)

I saw someone post something about taking charges being better for defense than blocks - I just wonder how much better a defender D. Howard would be if he took charges instead of "just blocking"" shots? Probably not good on the knees - no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gani Lawal is this year's Pops Mensah-Bonsu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude sucked anyway. good luck to him, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a damn shame for this kid, who was seemingly working hard, had a knack for shotblocking and rebounding and displayed some heart and desire. Even if Pop and RC didn't think much of Lawal's chances for this year, he certainly could've been a nice developmental PF for the future. Why not at least invest some Toros Time in him.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what they're thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gani Lawal is this year's Pops Mensah-Bonsa.
    James White!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played yo high above the rim an can block shots. Pop doesn't like that type of player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubted Lawal was some kind of answer but I do hope Spurs have something else in their sleeve than Frank Hassell to help the frontcourt.

Last year, Spurs bigmen got destroyed the whole year and especially against Memphis. They are even weaker this year with Dice gone and Spurs are on the verge of doing nothing? That's a ing nightmare.
    Yeah, I was thinking they'd keep Lawal in the 12 or 13 spot at the very least. Do they need to trim down to 13 now and 12 after Feb.6. I know it's a bit different this condensed season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gani Lawal is this year's Pops Mensah-Bonsa.
    you'll be begging for Pops after several weeks of the fabulous frontline of Bonner & Blair being scored on by NBA players more than Madonna ever dreamed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hes better than bonner, and thats sad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After that block, he really needed to get over himself.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm.. interesting, why him over Whitemask? He looked better than Hassel as well so this is a head scratcher. Maybe Lawal has an offer somewhere else..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lawal has the physical tools they need in a power forward, but his lack of a mid range jumper did him in.

They need to stop using the predictable excuses as a crutch and get creative. I'll preface this by saying: I like Anderson and don't want to trade him. But having a competent starting power forward is far more important than having five rotation caliber wings. Anderson is a nice prospect, but it's much easier to find an Anderson in the draft than it is a Splitter or Leonard.

So if Anderson has to be packaged with Blair or Blair and the 1st to get a quality starting power forward, so be it. Because if you add that player to what would be left over, they'd still be two deep at every position with rotation players. It wouldn't decimate the depth so much as it would clear out the logjam on the wings and balance the roster. I'd be fine with Green as the fifth wing, but if they want a better scorer, then they can attempt to sign Redd or, if he's recovered from his knee injury, Azuibuike.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Pop

What exactly do we need Zeller for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Pop

What exactly do we need Zeller for?

He spreads the floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, extremely unhappy to see this news, that block the other night got me juiced about this kid, he also looked good on the boards. If you rebound or block shots & Pop sees it, you are as good as done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was at the game last night w a buddy and we both commented to each other what a good find this guy Lawal is. He moved really well, hustled, played good D, and had good size. Young stud w size and physicality who costs next to nothing, and he gets waived. WTF is this FO doing?????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speechless

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a huge loss or anything but the bigman situation is getting pretty comical at this point. Hopefully there is some method to entering the most taxing season ever with the thinnest bigman rotation ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surely he's not a great player but he's better than Bonner.
    If he can play like yesterday every night I'd say he's better than Blair too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a huge loss or anything but the bigman situation is getting pretty comical at this point. Hopefully there is some method to entering the most taxing season ever with the thinnest bigman rotation ever.
    I just don't even understand why you waive him but still hold on to Zeller?
    Is there a method to the madness?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lawal has the physical tools they need in a power forward, but his lack of a mid range jumper did him in.

They need to stop using the predictable excuses as a crutch and get creative. I'll preface this by saying: I like Anderson and don't want to trade him. But having a competent starting power forward is far more important than having five rotation caliber wings. Anderson is a nice prospect, but it's much easier to find an Anderson in the draft than it is a Splitter or Leonard.

So if Anderson has to be packaged with Blair or Blair and the 1st to get a quality starting power forward, so be it. Because if you add that player to what would be left over, they'd still be two deep at every position with rotation players. It wouldn't decimate the depth so much as it would clear out the logjam on the wings and balance the roster. I'd be fine with Green as the fifth wing, but if they want a better scorer, then they can attempt to sign Redd or, if he's recovered from his knee injury, Azuibuike.
    While I agree that the PF/C dilemma is of huge concern, and the FO deserves harsh criticism for this, the Spurs cannot afford to be so negligent that they cut off part of their future nose, to spite their present face.

With an eminent rebuild effort on the Spurs horizon, you don't part with valuable assets like Anderson or a 1st round pick. That would be negligent on the part of the front office.

Now Blair and RJ would certainly be tradeable assets that this roster wouldn't miss. Blair because it's his position you're trying to replace and RJ because he's a diminishing player with the killer contract.

Thread Information