Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs need more versatility from their #6 to #9 spots(I'm assuming that TD-Manu-TP-Leonard-Splitter will be the top 5 in minutes, by the playoffs..I realize it's far from a lock)..

Compared to other good teams..(garbage man: big that isn't great at anything, but isn't a liability at any of the required big man skills)..

Atlanta Hawks: Pachulia(defender), Hinrich(PG, shooter, defender), Radmanovic(one-D shooter), McGrady(scorer, passer)..

Chicago Bulls: Asik(defender with scoring/rebounding ability), Gibson(defender with scoring/rebounding ability), Watson(scorer, PG), Korver(one-D shooter), Brewer(elite defender with scoring/rebounding ability)..

Dallas Mavs: Odom(all-around player), Carter(scorer and passer), West(defender, scorer), Mahinmi(garbage man)..

Denver Nuggets: Chandler(scorer, rebounder), Harrington(one-d scorer and shooter), Birdman(shot blocker), Mozgov(garbage man), Fernandez(scorer, shooter, passer)..

LA Clippers: Williams(one-d scorer and shooter), Gomes(one-d scorer), Evans(rebounder)..

LA Lakers: Peace(defender), Murphy(shooter), Blake(shooter, PG), Kapono(one-D shooter)..

Memphis Grizzlies: Mayo(all-around player), Speights(one-d scorer), Young(athlete)..

Miami Heat: Anthony(defender), Miller(all-around player, shooter), Cole(one-d scorer), Battier(defender, shooter), Jones(one-d shooter)..

Orlando Magic: JJ Re (shooter, smart player), Q. Richardson(defender, shooter), Davis(scorer with decent D)..

OKC: Sefolosha(defender, shooter), Collison(rebounder, garbage man), Maynor(reliable PG), Nazr(decent scorer, rebounder, defender)..

Philly 76ers: Meeks(one-d scorer and shooter), Young(all-around player), Turner(scorer), Vucevic(garbage man)..

Portland Blazers: Matthews(all-around player), Batum(all-around player), Thomas(defender)..

Utah Jazz: Bell(defender and shooter), Favors(garbage man), Watson(reliable PG, defender)..

San Antonio Spurs: Bonner(one-d shooter), Jefferson(one-d shooter), Neal(one-d shooter and scorer), Ford(passer, reliable PG), Green(I don't really know), Blair(one-d scorer at this point)..

Other than the Clippers and Lakers, the Spurs 6-9 or 10 players are more one-dimensional than any other good team IMO..it consists mostly of players that don't play D, can't create for themselves or others..

Is this a legitimate issue?..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also realize it's a star's league, but every team needs role players to provide versatility..

As of right now, only Leonard and Splitter are able to provide production in multiple facets..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is a legitimate issue.

We all know they need to trade for a competent two-way starting PF. But in the event they can't do that or won't give up the assets required for it, then they need to make Splitter their starting PF (defensively; offensively, Duncan would be) and find a competent two-way backup C. Either way, the big rotation must be fixed. And by fixing it, they'd kill two birds with one stone, because inevitably in the trade they'd alleviate the logjam on the wings. I go into further detail about the trickle down effect that would have on the roster here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189933

I'd say Green brings some versatility as well, though. He tries to do too much a lot of the time, but he is more dynamic offensively than he was initially thought to be, in addition to being a solid rebounder for his position and a decent defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mere fact that the Sad-Sac Kings, with the young, talented, athletic and inexperienced frontcourt really wiped the floor with the Spurs. Thompson and Cousins jumped on their early and kept attacking. The Spurs were powerless to stop them. Then tonight, Dalembert was ruling the paint on both ends, as his 6+ blocks are a testament.

These past two games served as just another simple reminder as to how poor, undersized and unathletic the Spurs frontcourt is. Splitter's emergence notwithstanding, it was really sad to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the super teams in the league build such a buffer that the bench play will be largely negligible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's certainly clear that as Pop's coaching style has evolved, so has is opposition toward having players with size on his roster. I'm surprised he didn't sign Chuck Hayes for his 5th big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's certainly clear that as Pop's coaching style has devolved, so has his opposition toward having players with size on his roster. I'm surprised he didn't sign Chuck Hayes for his 5th big.
    fify

Thread Information