Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough.
    I was under the impression that Scola was a cash dump. Dumb move though, irregardless of the reason.

Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE.
    Beno, while a nice offensive player, was too soft defensively, and overall imo. How many teams has he been with now, 3? He couldn't even stick on a bad Kings team, so I don't consider him a big loss.

Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.
    Yes, in hindsight,giving up on Mahimni was a mistake. But when they released him, it looked liked, imo, they chose Splitter, over Mahimni. Considering that Dice was still with the team, along with Blair, and Bonner, I didn't have no qualms with the FO letting Ian walk.

They quickly drop obvious scrubs like Marcus Williams (although I'd argue they didn't give up on him fast enough because they wasted time on him with the Toros ) but that quick trigger has hurt. In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

It's odd how they are such good drafters but their talent evaluation following the draft just isn't that good.
    Pretty much like most NBA front offices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's a joke for long time posters. When Marcus Williams was drafted, I decided to be a fan of him even if he sucked.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's a joke for long time posters. When Marcus Williams was drafted, I decided to be a fan of him even if he sucked.
    Marc Gasol would have been nice.

Scary to think of what the front-court could have been.

Duncan/Scola
    Gasol/Splitter...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the first time I didn't get a joke. I too, had hopes for Willimas. Liked the idea of a 6'7" pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough. Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE. Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.

They quickly drop obvious scrubs like Marcus Williams (although I'd argue they didn't give up on him fast enough because they wasted time on him with the Toros ) but that quick trigger has hurt. In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

It's odd how they are such good drafters but their talent evaluation following the draft just isn't that good.
    I agree they bail too soon (by the way great article on the injury. I thought maybe just a confidence thing but it may be more than that).
    The question is why do they bail so quickly?
    The best examples are Ian, Scola and Beno.
    Except for Scola I not sure either Ian or Beno where a huge mistake.

With Scola it's somewhat perplexing, but definitely monetarily based. In 07 they where over the cap and per reports at the time Holt wanted to be under. They also had several escalating salaries and "needed" to resign Bonner and Oberto. Thus, Beno was jettisoned for cap space and Scola was used to reduce cap further. To bad they didn't sign Scola and let Oberto and Bonner go.
    The interesting thing was nobody wanted to give the Spurs anything for Scola.
    I remember Buck Harvey quoting an unnamed scout source saying the Spurs wanted a 1st rounder for his rights but where not going to get it because he didn't think he was that good. I think based on this they convinced themselves he wasn't worth convincing Holt to pony up.
    JA I don't have a problem with. I don't think under any conditions he is going to be star and the way he looks now it's going to be years if ever he will be a regular contributor.
    Add in that Green and Neal can contribute now, Kawhi can play 2...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice analysis, though, I disagree with the conclusion. I don't think JA's ceiling is higher than Green's at this point, and even if it where it'd be (1) marginal at best, and (2) negated by Green in-game confidence, which JA for some reason lacks. As a result, I don't think JA would be able to supplant anyone ahead of him on the roster especially when Manu/Ford come back (the latter meaning Neal can move back to his natural SG position).

With respect to RJ being amnestyed, I don't think the Spurs do it unless they first sign a replacement 3 like they were trying to do with Butler before the start of the season. While the 2012 SF FA crop maybe better than this past year (Batum, Nocioni, or even Budinger & Young), the Spurs may deem RJ is still the "better" option. Point being, not extending JA may mean we hold on to RJ longer than many here would like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised nobody brought the typical responses:

- It's easy to say the FO should spend when it's not your money!

- How dare you having an opinion about FO moves?

- bro, you should send your resume to the FO, you have it all figured out

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which begs the question of whether the Spurs should now just get rid of Anderson since his time with the team has essentially ended. Personally, I'd probably be for a salary dumping of JA near the trade deadline. As long as the wings are healthy, the Spurs might as well save some money while avoiding the possible distractions of having a lame duck on the roster.
    I guess they could only get a conditional second rounder for him at this point. Or they could try getting a player in a similar situation they deem salvageable.

There are only a few vet free agents who might be useful at this point and a couple of D-League swingmen worth looking at. They could just as easily play out the string with Anderson and see if he gets any better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if Duncan signs for say DROB money (2 years 20 mil) and the Spurs amnesty RJ. Does that give them max money to offer in FA during the off-season?

i dont really care about JA tbqh. Dime a dozen player, along with Green.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather have Mahinmi than Blair or Bonner, no question.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson was, what, a 57th overall pick?
    Um, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you guys seen this ?

It looks like they tried to trade him but nobody was interested

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckhar...d-on-anderson/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm disappointed about this turn of events. JA has high potential and I'm confident he belongs in this league. However, the glutton of players at the wings, and his own lack of production, has really hurt him. Opportunity knocked, he did not answer.

Best of luck to JA whatever happens. Seems like a great guy and a hard worker, just couldn't get into a groove when he needed to. Additionally, I really would like to know (form him personally) whether the injury has bothered his play in the least.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if Duncan signs for say DROB money (2 years 20 mil) and the Spurs amnesty RJ. Does that give them max money to offer in FA during the off-season?
    No it does not.

And you should be worried. With Duncan in father time, and with a poor free agent class (outside of the Williams, Howard, CP3), expect the Spurs to only be candidates for mid-tier level free agents. Spurs more than likely will have to over-pay for mid-tier value (IE: another R.J or Rasho scenario), because of these reasons: 1) SA is no longer a le contender in the view of F.A's. 2) They no longer have a superstar that attracts F.A's. 3) San Antonio is well.. San Antonio; A small market.

Spurs will be better off trading for a reasonable unwanted salary with a year left remaining on the contract, as long as a 1st round pick is attached to the deal (such a deal IE: Player A with 1 year 4 million remaining +1st rounder to Spurs for a 2nd rounder). Given the Spurs situation, and the realistic side of things; that may be the best way to stockpile draft picks and rebuild. I hope Spurs don't use that cap-space to lock in another Rasho type situation for another 4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather have Mahinmi than Blair or Bonner, no question.
    No question.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also thought it's a no brainer ti pick his option, but on the other hand, I can see quite a few reasons why they didn't.

first off, everyone can see the obvious. even with Manu (and TJ) out, Anderson can't see the floor. Green looks like the player people expected JA to be. end of story. sure, you can keep the young player and that way as well keep the chance alive, that this player pans out later. however, with limited spots and limited money and cap space it's about balance pros and cons.

and they likely said: let's use the spot and the 1.5 million on a player, who plays a position of more need. SG isn't, at least not for this and the next season.
    (btw. don't you think they say: let's invest the spot and about the amount of money on De Colo next season? or on Lorbek?)

another point: without the picked option JA will be easier to trade (what will happen soon), if they don't find a taker who offers something in return, they will find a team with a TE that takes him, if the Spurs add the salary. this move will be about reducing tax. it's a pretty simple arithmetic problem.
    if a team is somehow interested in JA, they will still prefer him without the additional year. they get a look and he is on an expiring contract, but as far as I can say, they will have early bird rights. even if JA shows decent play there, he won't command more than the MLE. the team that get's JA could resign him without cutting into an exception. some teams might see it like this.

however, I can live with the decision.
    and if Spurs had picked his option and they lose on an intriguing FA (because the option takes away more than 6 million from a possible contract offer for a FA) in 2012, I can guarrantee the same people who bash the FO this time for give up on JA would be the first to bash the FO for holding him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also thought it's a no brainer ti pick his option, but on the other hand, I can see quite a few reasons why they didn't.

first off, everyone can see the obvious. even with Manu (and TJ) out, Anderson can't see the floor. Green looks like the player people expected JA to be. end of story. sure, you can keep the young player and that way as well keep the chance alive, that this player pans out later. however, with limited spots and limited money and cap space it's about balance pros and cons.

and they likely said: let's use the spot and the 1.5 million on a player, who plays a position of more need. SG isn't, at least not for this and the next season.
    (btw. don't you think they say: let's invest the spot and about the amount of money on De Colo next season? or on Lorbek?)

another point: without the picked option JA will be easier to trade (what will happen soon), if they don't find a taker who offers something in return, they will find a team with a TE that takes him, if the Spurs add the salary. this move will be about reducing tax. it's a pretty simple arithmetic problem.
    if a team is somehow interested in JA, they will still prefer him without the additional year. they get a look and he is on an expiring contract, but as far as I can say, they will have early bird rights. even if JA shows decent play there, he won't command more than the MLE. the team that get's JA could resign him without cutting into an exception. some teams might see it like this.

however, I can live with the decision.
    and if Spurs had picked his option and they lose on an intriguing FA (because the option takes away more than 6 million from a possible contract offer for a FA) in 2012, I can guarrantee the same people who bash the FO this time for give up on JA would be the first to bash the FO for holding him.
    You are in danger of being banned for an extremely rational take on what appears to be an emotional issue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buck Harvey: Why Spurs passed on Anderson

It’s always more complicated than that, and it was Wednesday. The Spurs worked through the day, making sure they weren’t missing anything. Mostly they were determining if Anderson had any trade value. What they heard: Those teams who had liked Anderson just hadn’t seen enough of him as a pro.

Read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckhar...d-on-anderson/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another bad move by the fo. They must think they have a shot at Batum and some others.
    OR

They understand that James Anderson has worked his tail off to improve and still sucks. Sometimes guys miss shots but there is nothing stopping him from being a better defender. He has chosen not to put the effort in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting this link

This says it all. Once you read Harvey's column, one could understand their rationale for not picking up the option. However, I still say, with RJ most certainly headed out the amnesty door this offseason, that would seemingly warrant taking a longer look at JA. While he's struggled with both injuries and confidence, I just can't see how this guy is deemed expendable. It's too early to give up on him. Remember the Mahinmi!

Obviously, they must have something else up their sleeves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting this link

This says it all. Once you read Harvey's column, one could understand their rationale for not picking up the option. However, I still say, with RJ most certainly headed out the amnesty door this offseason, that would seemingly warrant taking a longer look at JA. While he's struggled with both injuries and confidence, I just can't see how this guy is deemed expendable. It's too early to give up on him. Remember the Mahinmi!

Obviously, they must have something else up their sleeves.
    I agree with you on RJ being amnestied next year. However, I think the better option as a replacemet is Leonard. JA would still be a backup and an undersized backup as well. I'm all for resigning JA at the market price if it is lower than his option price.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently they didn't learn their lesson with Mahinmi. One month ago, would they have even considered not picking up his option? I don't think so and if I'm right, then they let one month, where he hasn't even played that much, override common sense?

Whether they plan to do something big in free agency or not, Anderson would have been easy to trade. There's been numerous examples recently (Beasley, Cook, Johnson) of highly regarded - solid prospects being traded for virtually nothing, so that their teams could clear more cap space. Even if all they ended up getting was a 2nd, that's better than nothing. Especially in a deep draft.

Maybe their plan is to free up enough cap space to make a lopsided trade for a big. But if their plan is to go the free agent route, the best realistic fits (save for one) are all RFA's: Arthur, Randolph, Anderson and Thompson. With the possible exception of Anderson, not one figures to command above the MLE, though. So that wouldn't qualify as such a "big move", so as to explain not picking up Anderson's option.

As I alluded to, there is one UFA who, short term would be the best fit: Garnett. I think he's done with the Celtics and will probably retire, unless: 1) The Lakers relent and give up Bynum and Gasol for Howard or 2) Duncan and Pop can talk him into coming to the Spurs.

As far as Duncan, I could see him holding off on signing an extension. In other words, see what big they can get first and then take whatever is left over (within' reason, obviously).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JA is probably a better scorer but Green is showing a better all around game right now. Guys like DG are glue guys you like to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you guys seen this ?

It looks like they tried to trade him but nobody was interested

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckhar...d-on-anderson/
    Props to Buck for confirming it

But it wouldn't make sense if this is only about Green. You don't throw away one player for a not yet proven player who will be a free agent. I agree with Buck that Green is part of the equation, but there's no way salary cap space or his injury past aren't bigger parts of the equation.

NBAChamp..to be Continued SpurNation's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It might be a different story is the Spurs wern't stacked at the 2, and 3 position. Still I too do not like giving up on a player so soon.
    I'd like to think they're not going to give up on him 100% with regards to getting something of value out for him.

As pointed out in the article...the Spurs are more than likely playing the odds. (Wise decision from my pov).

However...that doesn't mean they can not still get something of value in terms of trade or even his salary.

We'll see. If anything...though the 1.57 mil may not be that much for an individual player...it may go a long way being used in conjunction with available cap space in helping to acquire a top free agent. (just speculating)

Thread Information