Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking back on the 2010, it's amazing how bad it was. It's difficult to say the Spurs made a mistake at #20 even after knowing what we know about Anderson.

Landry Fields played well as a rookie but has been pretty bad this year. Jordan Crawford scores but he's a chucker who makes a horrible team even worse. Greivis Vasquez hasn't been anything special in his NBA career (outside of the Spurs series, of course). Trevor Booker has been decent but the Spurs don't need another 6-foot-7 power forward.

I guess in hindsight you take Fields ... but Green is a much better player than Fields so far this season so it wouldn't really change anything.

Heck, the Spurs might take Anderson again if they had it to do over again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trevor Booker has been decent but the Spurs don't need another 6-foot-7 power forward.
    Whataburger wouldn't mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking back on the 2010, it's amazing how bad it was. It's difficult to say the Spurs made a mistake at #20 even after knowing what we know about Anderson.

Landry Fields played well as a rookie but has been pretty bad this year. Jordan Crawford scores but he's a chucker who makes a horrible team even worse. Greivis Vasquez hasn't been anything special in his NBA career (outside of the Spurs series, of course). Trevor Booker has been decent but the Spurs don't need another 6-foot-7 power forward.

I guess in hindsight you take Fields ... but Green is a much better player than Fields so far this season so it wouldn't really change anything.

Heck, the Spurs might take Anderson again if they had it to do over again

It's so funny that after i knew about Anderson's situation, i got back to look at the 2010 draft, to see we could have taken a better player than Anderson. It's freaking unbelievable the lack of talent after the lottery.
    There isn't a single player after the 20th pick i would say for sure that i would take over James Anderson. As you said, maybe Fields would have a better lucky here. Other than him, the players are really pathetic.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's entirely possible that Leonard has made the decision more than Green. KL can guard at least four positions so far and allows you to have shooters in the game at odd times because of his ability to match up. Seems a bit premature just simply because the Spurs almost automatically pick up the option even on players Pop seems to hate. There's got to be a financial angle to this that helps them going forward.

I'd love nothing more than to see JA blow up and earn himself a big contract this summer. That's good for the Spurs and for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt. All he needs to do is find his damn three point shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen anything from Anderson that leads me to believe he is an NBA quality player. He lacks creativity, has average handles, doesn't defend and plays like a 35 year old. His jumpshot looks ok but doesn't go in.

All in all, this decision doesn't bother me. I'm sure the Spurs could pick up a similar type swingman somewhere along the line off of the scrapheap.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean the spurs shouldn't do it.
    Uh, James would have to sign, and I'm thinking that if two teams (and there will be suitors this summer) both offer me the minimum, and one of them was the team that told me I wasn't in their plans, I'd have to sign with the other one to get a fresh start. Not only that, but when Manu and TJ come back, I'd ask for my release, and then place myself in the d-league pool, and draw a second, admittedly small salary, AND almost sure playing time. The Spurs owe him the money for this year, guaranteed.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hoped that he could thrive in a pick and roll offense. It was pretty exciting having Parker and Duncan on one side of the floor setting up pick and rolls and I-don't-remember-who and Splitter on the other doing the same thing all at the same time. I think JA could find a place in that kind of offense and maybe get his shot back. A 20 foot jumper's as good as anything else in that kind of offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Mahinmi is that he's still more inconsistent than Blair or Bonner and he fouls a lot. I'm not sure the Spurs could give him the playtime he needs to develop. He plays a lot for the Mavs only because Chandler's gone and Odom has some problems. Should have he stayed with the Spurs he wouldn't play a lot. And Ian is still a project.

With Green and Neal, the Spurs don't really need another SG, the Spurs are set there. It seems that JA isn't completely recovered from injuries.

It would be better to add an bigman for the next season, Blair isnt that good.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to Bizarro World. A few seasons ago, I committed the blasphemy of saying that Pop didn't develop young players for , and just got flamed to death over it. The fact is, Pop never has done much to recognize that it is a game played by human beings, and not pieces on a chessboard. Just the other night I heard him talk about how tough he was on Tony, and how he figured he would either come through it or crumble. And you can tell that he somehow wants to take credit for how Tony plays now. Absolutely arrogant bas that he is. Tony was more of a professional when he got here than Gregg Popovich ever was. That's the downside to having a theorist as a coach.

Pop seems to have softened a little - first with Hill and Blair, and now with Green. Not that he's actually developing talent, but at least he isn't constantly beating the crap out of them. And he's actually giving them minutes. And that really makes me think that Anderson isn't showing them much.

Anderson was, what, a 57th overall pick? His ceiling was/is "solid rotation player". You don't re-build with solid rotation players, you add them to the roster. Right now, Anderson is a potential rotation player. If the Spurs see signing him as endangering their ability to pick up a top-tier player, then they are probably on the right track. One low-ceiling project, one way or the other, isn't an answer to getting another banner for the rafters.

I said that they could re-sign him, even after failing to pick up his option. But Bruno is dead right - I don't remember seeing it happen. And it's not likely to happen this time. In a couple of seasons, KBP will know all about him. But even if he puts up big numbers, he's not Greek, so we'll just hear that he never developed.
    Malik Rose and Stephen Jackson were two players who were complete nobodies before coming here and playing under Pop. Parker would have been a star without Pop, but I'm not sure about the other two guys. Jack was basically playing himself out of the league and Malik was just an end of the bench scrub in Charlotte. I think Pop deserves enormous credit for seeing really good players there and for bringing Jack along slowly to make him hungry for that spot he began to excel in once Smith got hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure they're trying to develop talent now because they have no other choice - and it's about time. However, I still don't agree with the JA decision and, because of their short-sighted decision on Mahinmi, which I hope they're regretting right about now, I'm not going to give them a pass on this one.

Now I will reserve the right to change my mind, once I see what they're going to do this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the one hand, JA's been absolute crap since his injury. On the other, he hasn't earned or been handed that many opportunities since his injury either.

But if the Spurs let him go or keep him, I don't really care. College scorers like JA who didn't really look like NBA specimens generally struggle in the NBA, and with a foot injury its just not looking good. His handles are also pretty weak.

Spurs have enough perimeter players. Package JA and his potential for a legit big that is capable of contributing something in the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    might as well trade him

NBAChamp..to be Continued SpurNation's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Package JA and his potential for a legit big that is capable of contributing something in the playoffs
    You won't get a legit big man in a package for just "potential". The Spurs best bet is using his disposed salary in to next years cap space.

This sucks if one was on the belief he was going to be the next draft miracle the Spurs found. But that's life. Sometimes you win. Sometimes things happen.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    As an unrestricted FA this summer, his trade value is zero, other than a team like Indy that is below the minimum salary amount right now. If he sucks, you've paid for that. If he blows up, he's gone.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (btw. don't you think they say: let's invest the spot and about the amount of money on De Colo next season? or on Lorbek?)
    Definitely a notable point. If we assume we Amnesty RJ, bringing over de Colo gives us

Leonard
    Manu/Neal/De Colo(Draft Rights)
    Parker/Joseph

as perimeter players, with Green a RFA. Include a draft pick in there, aswell as whatever you can get in FA and it's hard to see a role for Anderson. While he might develop with minutes, so might the other Young perimeter players in that group, and an extra million in cap space might make the difference for some players who are looking at ~10 million a year.

If he gets to be a rotation level player, we'll be annoyed, and he has the talent to do it somewhere. But he might never get there, in which case it's money wasted on him. If we weren't going to be able to get under the cap, We should hold on to him, but the fact that we are is significant, and opinions on holding onto him have to be viewed in light of the chance to upgrade our team with a superior free agent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JA looked ok in the first few games. He showed an ability to create his shot and take his man of the dribble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You won't get a legit big man in a package for just "potential". The Spurs best bet is using his disposed salary in to next years cap space.

This sucks if one was on the belief he was going to be the next draft miracle the Spurs found. But that's life. Sometimes you win. Sometimes things happen.

I don't know about that. Look at all JA fanboys still in utter denial in here. So who knows, there could be a GM still out there who has still rates him high on their list and is dumb enough to part with something of value.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why everyone keeps saying Anderson is slow and unathletic. When we drafted him a year ago all you heard was how athletic he was, bigger than Hill, and a true SG who could play D and score points.
    I don't know who said that. Coming out of OSU, he was one of the most skilled players in the draft, the whole reason that he fell to the Spurs was questions reagarding his athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like this move. JA hasn't shown much this year but that can be attributed to playing time.

The decision to let JA go only increases the chances we'll see RJ in a Spurs uniform next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know who said that. Coming out of OSU, he was one of the most skilled players in the draft, the whole reason that he fell to the Spurs was questions reagarding his athleticism.
    I think the athleticism is definitely a concern- Buck Harveyarticle mentions the Spurs concern that the NBA game is too fast for him.
    I am OK with the decision.

The Spurs have released players before so they could have other opportunities- I wonder if they saw little chance for JA to develop here and that played into it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only problem that i have with Anderson leaving is that we couldn't get anything for him. I feel we should have kept him at least his 3rd year and than try to grab something in return.

OKC got a 2nd round pick for Mullens. Minny got 2 2nd round picks for Lazar Hayward. And their situation were even worse than Anderson's situation.

Anyway. It's done and i just wish Anderson lucky in another team, if he can make it.
    Last edited by elemento; 01-27-2012 at 02:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot believe that we're sitting here talking about Anderson in the past tense and he's still on the roster. Are the Spurs going to allow this kid to walk away scot-free, become a Dallas Maverick and develop on their dime too?

If Anderson does indeed leave, this looks really bad for an organization that has built a reputation for repeatedly getting "steals" in the NBA draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all likelihood if JA ever "develops" it's GOING to be on another team. Spurs know that; however, for his current level of play, there are too many worthy players ahead of him.

The best thing for JA in terms of staying here, would be if Neal turns out to be a one-hit wonder and Spurs re-sign JA this summer as a FA. I actually think the Spurs are doing the right thing by JA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could be a good mix player on a lot of teams. Seeing them not keep him versus having trash like Bonner on the team is garbage to me. It's good news for Kawhi and a few others though. Means that Green has officially overtaken him in the rotation.

Thread Information