Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all likelihood if JA ever "develops" it's GOING to be on another team. Spurs know that; however, for his current level of play, there are too many worthy players ahead of him.

The best thing for JA in terms of staying here, would be if Neal turns out to be a one-hit wonder and Spurs re-sign JA this summer as a FA. I actually think the Spurs are doing the right thing by JA.
    Totally agree with that. Neal does a lot of things right. I don't really have a lot of issues with it...I just like Anderson's game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Anderson does indeed leave, this looks really bad for an organization that has built a reputation for repeatedly getting "steals" in the NBA draft.
    Please enlighten us on how JA has been a "steal"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please enlighten us on how JA has been a "steal"
    He was regarded as the steal of the draft by a few analysts...then again it seems most Spurs picks are these days (Blair, Leonard).

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot believe that we're sitting here talking about Anderson in the past tense and he's still on the roster. Are the Spurs going to allow this kid to walk away scot-free, become a Dallas Maverick and develop on their dime too?

If Anderson does indeed leave, this looks really bad for an organization that has built a reputation for repeatedly getting "steals" in the NBA draft.
    Why?

That draft sucked ass and Anderson got an injury that regularly ruins NBA careers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why?

That draft sucked ass and Anderson got an injury that regularly ruins NBA careers.
    He's just gnashing his teeth now because he's put some much effort into hyping the boy up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I emailed a draft expert to ask if it was known what happened to James Anderson's left foot that he broke in high school. The response: Anderson needed a pin, screw and plate to repair a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

So he has a pin, screw and plate in his left foot and a pin in his right foot.

Sad to say but I don't think someone can play in the NBA with that much steel in their feet. I'm starting to shift to the "the Spurs made the right decision" camp. Hmmm . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I emailed a draft expert to ask if it was known what happened to James Anderson's left foot that he broke in high school. The response: Anderson needed a pin, screw and plate to repair a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot.

So he has a pin, screw and plate in his left foot and a pin in his right foot.

Sad to say but I don't think someone can play in the NBA with that much steel in their feet. I'm starting to shift to the "the Spurs made the right decision" camp. Hmmm . . .
    Valid point. I forget who posted a list of NBA players who have had the same foot injury and came back, but the success rate was pretty bad IIRC, and that was just for one foot, let alone both feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson got an injury that regularly ruins NBA careers.
    When I said the same a year ago, you were quite dismissive . . .

Glad to see you've come around , but sad (for our team) that I was correct . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition to that, a right foot ed is more problematic than a left foot ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I said the same a year ago, you were quite dismissive . . .

Glad to see you've come around , but sad (for our team) that I was correct . . .
    Yeah, I hope against hope when it comes to injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why?

If this is, in fact, the case, it's sad and I'll certainly retract my statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I hope against hope when it comes to injuries.
    Hold on to your hope!

And let it positively influence your opinion of others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is, in fact, the case, it's sad and I'll certainly retract my statement.
    The draft's suckiness is self-evident, and the seriousness of the injury was illustrated by LJ (and probably earlier by someone like Bruno).

It's always tough to see a team just give up on a player. Money almost always has an influence in these situations. It would be great if all team decisions happened in a cashless vacuum, but they don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition to that, a right foot ed is more problematic than a left foot ed.
    Why is it more problematic ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it more problematic ?
    That's his strong foot, which is more solicited when, for example, taking a jump shot. Some players uses almost equally both legs but JA, either because it was his natural shooting mechanic or because of his previous left foot injury, was using way more his right leg/foot when taking a jump shot.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lost this in the shuffle the past 48 hrs, but very surprised that Spurs didn't pick up James Anderson's option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno with a perceptive take, per usual.

Hollinger's own stats point to JA being a scrub so he shouldn't be too surprised. JA had an ~8 PER last year and has an ~8 PER this year.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he made the comment based on the Spurs draft effect. Spurs picks are automatically considered steals.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beaubois might have seen his stock drop even further. After his rookie season, the Mavericks went on record as saying they wouldn't trade him for anyone outside of the two best players in the NBA. That year, he shot 40.9% on three-pointers. But after his foot injury, he shot 30.1% on threes in his sop re season. Currently, Beaubois has gone from a player the Mavs built their marketing campaign around to a guy with an uncertain future in the league.
    Reports of Beaubois' death might be a bit premature

The thing that worries me the most about this decision is that the risk seemed low, because it was what, a $200-300k difference in the end? Maybe the Spurs will really need the money next season, but from what we've seen in the past the Spurs would be better off taking cheap bets than hoping to land a coveted free agent...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why sample size and opportunity are critical when assessing a players ability.

Good game James.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition to PER, Wages of Wins Stats (WP48) points to Anderson being well below average, though he rated well coming out of College.

Though today was a good game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the consequence of not picking up his option was that it lit a fire under his ass. If that's what it took, then it was a great decision. For his sake, I hope that's what happened, and that tonight wasn't a fluke. If he keeps playing like this, the Spurs will either sign him, or someone else will.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the consequence of not picking up his option was that it lit a fire under his ass. If that's what it took, then it was a great decision. For his sake, I hope that's what happened, and that tonight wasn't a fluke. If he keeps playing like this, the Spurs will either sign him, or someone else will.
    I was really please with James' game tonight. I wanted him to get more of a chance even though he hasn't been great, I still wanted him to get more chances.

Whether or not his play tonight was because of the option or not I don't know, but he played a lot better.

At this point I'd rather bench RJ and start JA in his spot. James at least tries, RJ is just too listless to be in that starting 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he can come in, and play RJ's minutes tomorrow if he continues to struggle. Like I said it takes time to get going again, but I sure hope tonight wasn't a one game fluke. JA sure did look like a NBA player tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he can come in, and play RJ's minutes tomorrow if he continues to struggle. Like I said it takes time to get going again, but I sure hope tonight wasn't a one game fluke. JA sure did look like a NBA player tonight.
    Agree. Like GSH stated, maybe not picking up his option lit a fire under Anderson's ass. Hope to see this Anderson version.

Thread Information