Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a roster management perspective I just don't get it. Even if we let him walk, sign a free agent, are e assuming we will sign a free agent wing? Cuz if its an extra big, we will still need another wing, which will still cost money. The only free agent name these guys have signed recently is RJ. that trend prob won't change, and for a team that tries to get the best bang for its buck, we could end up with a Finley 2010esque player instead of a prospect that'd be in the system his thirds year, that had upside potential, with peanuts in overall money difference. I was high on Anderson too, so this sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal is under contract for next year, and then has a qualifying offer for 2013-14.

Green has a qualifying offer for next summer, so if the Spurs are really high on him, he's a restricted free agent at worst.
    Sorry JA fanboys. Facts suck, huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a roster management perspective I just don't get it. Even if we let him walk, sign a free agent, are e assuming we will sign a free agent wing? Cuz if its an extra big, we will still need another wing, which will still cost money. The only free agent name these guys have signed recently is RJ. that trend prob won't change, and for a team that tries to get the best bang for its buck, we could end up with a Finley 2010esque player instead of a prospect that'd be in the system his thirds year, that had upside potential, with peanuts in overall money difference. I was high on Anderson too, so this sucks.
    FA wings are a dime a dozen. Spurs will have no problems getting a cheap min salary one via FA who can provide insurance for KL, DG, GN, MG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I agree on most of the OP and I too don't like this move, I somewhat disagree with the following:

But their one glaring weakness has been giving up on prospects too soon.
    Spurs have been very quick at giving up on some players (Marcus Williams ) but when you look with hindsight at it, they have been almost always right at doing it. Their track record speak for itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's a choice between Anderson and the ability to pick up, say, Batum? Not even close.

I like the guy, and I really feel for him. But being considered a potential steal in the draft doesn't do anything for the team. I remember reading articles that said Jackie Butler was one of the best signings of that offseason. The only real value is on the court. If the Spurs picked up Anderson's option, I would have been at best indifferent. I can't be too upset that they didn't, unless you count feeling sorry for the guy.

As of this moment, Anderson is about potential without much in the way of evidence. Six games and offseason play. Throw in a known injury, and I doubt that there will be a flood of other teams making offers, and there is nothing preventing the Spurs from signing him again, if he still looks good.

James Gist looked promising. So did Ian Mahinmi. They're both gone. The chance that the Spurs are losing a gem, if they let him go, are pretty slim. There are players hitting free agency that we know can play in the NBA on a consistent basis. It would be nice to be able to afford one of them - for a change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Magic did it with Earl Clark. Refused his option and then signed him in the free agency for a smaller amount (2.4m/2y).
    Nope. Phoenix didn't picked Earl Clark option. He was then traded to Orlando.

I don't remember a single first round pick whose team declined to pick his option resigning with the team at the end of the year. JA is as a good as gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I agree on most of the OP and I too don't like this move, I somewhat disagree with the following:

Spurs have been very quick at giving up on some players (Marcus Williams ) but when you look with hindsight at it, they have been almost always right at doing it. Their track record speak for itself.
    Really Bruno?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's a choice between Anderson and the ability to pick up, say, Batum? Not even close.

I like the guy, and I really feel for him. But being considered a potential steal in the draft doesn't do anything for the team. I remember reading articles that said Jackie Butler was one of the best signings of that offseason. The only real value is on the court. If the Spurs picked up Anderson's option, I would have been at best indifferent. I can't be too upset that they didn't, unless you count feeling sorry for the guy.

As of this moment, Anderson is about potential without much in the way of evidence. Six games and offseason play. Throw in a known injury, and I doubt that there will be a flood of other teams making offers, and there is nothing preventing the Spurs from signing him again, if he still looks good.

James Gist looked promising. So did Ian Mahinmi. They're both gone. The chance that the Spurs are losing a gem, if they let him go, are pretty slim. There are players hitting free agency that we know can play in the NBA on a consistent basis. It would be nice to be able to afford one of them - for a change.
    Exactly GSH. With his poor showing the spurs will most likely be able to pick him up as an insurance wing at half the price if they really think he deserves a second look. That's called being shrewd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Phoenix didn't picked Earl Clark option. He was then traded to Orlando.

I don't remember a single first round pick whose team declined to pick his option resigning with the team at the end of the year. JA is as a good as gone.
    Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean the spurs shouldn't do it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anderson is getting out played by leonard, green, and even neal. when ginobili and ford come back, there will be no room in the rotation (he's not even getting playing time now).

but for $1.5 million, you keep him, especially since it was the spurs that drafted him. he had an injury plagued rookie year so he could still turn out to be the player that the spurs thought he was in 2010. it's kind of disheartening to watch the spurs give up so easily on their own draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly GSH. With his poor showing the spurs will most likely be able to pick him up as an insurance wing at half the price if they really think he deserves a second look. That's called being shrewd.
    Shrewd? You not feeling well tjastal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JA is reminding me a lot of Malik Hairston. You have hopes that somehow he'll get in a groove and start producing but for whatever reason it just isn't happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shrewd? You not feeling well tjastal?
    Feeling fine, Mortimer.

Yes, shrewd. Shrewd is what the FO should always be, just not stupid.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also, regarding the cap situation, the 2012 list of free agents are slim pickings. no way the spurs can get deron williams or dwight howard to come over. spurs won't even have enough money to throw at them even by letting andesron go. so, the cap room that is freed up is unnecessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think he is still capable of being a good bench player?
    I think it's possible. I'd say there's about a 20% chance he's an NBA quality player. While that's not very high, it's probably worth that money to find out.

With all this info in mind, how badly will this affect the Spurs looking to make a trade to grab a solid big by the trade deadline? I assume if they're saving up to sign a marquee free agent this offseason they probably don't want to take back contracts that would eat up cap space unless they can offload Jefferson? (though they'll amnesty him anyway I suppose)
    The chances of the Spurs taking on a contract that extends past this season are probably close to 0% unless it's a player that helps win now AND fits into rebuilding plans. Even then, the FO has a history of putting salary cap space above all.

For an example, look back at the summer of 2002 when the Spurs decided to not take an even smaller option for the third year of Speedy Claxton's contract. Even though they liked Speedy, they didn't want to do anything to jeopardize their 2003 salary cap space.

SG is the deepest position on this roster and if takes an extra 1.5 mil this offseason to sign a RFA at a position in need (pf or c)then the loss of a3rd string SG is no brainer . There is always risks in not resigning younger players but I for one do not feel the loss of JA this offseason will hurt this team in the future..Good move in my opinion by the front office..
    Yeah, if you consider depth, injury history and potential salary cap room, it's definitely not a stupid decisions. I disagree with it but I can see the logic behind what they did.

But really, I think the depth might be a little overstated. Ginobili's contract is over after next season. Ford doesn't count as depth since he's so injury prone. RJ will get amnestied at some point. Green has been good this season but the jury is still out whether or not he's a true NBA quality player. Neal's a useful player due to his jumper, but if he's not a ~40% three-point shooter, he quickly becomes a liability.

Come the 2013-14 season, the only perimeter player that will for sure be on the team is Leonard. IMO, buying time until the 2013 summer to make a decision on JA would have been worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough. Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE. Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.

They quickly drop obvious scrubs like Marcus Williams (although I'd argue they didn't give up on him fast enough because they wasted time on him with the Toros ) but that quick trigger has hurt. In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

It's odd how they are such good drafters but their talent evaluation following the draft just isn't that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with the opinion that JA should be brought back for another season since its only 1.5 mil..This $ could be the difference in signing an actual rotation player or starter for years to come. JA has had more chances than most under Pop to establish himself and just has not not produced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played himself out of the Spurs picking up his option, imho I think the Spurs came into this season with the intention of picking it up. Although considering the Spurs inability to sign big FAs despite the cap space, I wouldnt be surprised if they end up giving him a deal in the offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    End of the bench players are a dime a dozen and there is usually a reason why they ride the pine. It didn't look like JA made the decision a hard one with his recent preformances in the minutes when he got a chance.

As far as JA future is concerned I think he needs playing time to sort things out and should go to D league or Europe. If Cory Joseph can go there, then so can JA.

On the other hand, with JA gone, the Spurs might bring in some additional prospets for short term contracts to take a look.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see a legit point to why we should keep him. I think that the Spurs need to start looking forward and clear as much cap space as possible, even if it's only $1.57mil. Other than having a great stroke early last season, I never saw anything too impressive from Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with the opinion that JA should be brought back for another season since its only 1.5 mil..This $ could be the difference in signing an actual rotation player or starter for years to come. JA has had more chances than most under Pop to establish himself and just has not not produced.
    What I didn't note but probably should have included: The Spurs could have picked up the option and then simply trade him in the summer if they needed the salary cap room. It's likely the Spurs could have traded $2 million and Anderson to a team that needs to reach the salary cap minimum.

While, yes, trading money is now restricted ($3M per season instead of per year) in the new CBA, that's a reasonable "out" in case the scenario of the Spurs having to open that extra cap space became a reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the other hand, with JA gone, the Spurs might bring in some additional prospets for short term contracts to take a look.
    Which begs the question of whether the Spurs should now just get rid of Anderson since his time with the team has essentially ended. Personally, I'd probably be for a salary dumping of JA near the trade deadline. As long as the wings are healthy, the Spurs might as well save some money while avoiding the possible distractions of having a lame duck on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I didn't note but probably should have included: The Spurs could have picked up the option and then simply trade him in the summer if they needed the salary cap room. It's likely the Spurs could have traded $2 million and Anderson to a team that needs to reach the salary cap minimum.

While, yes, trading money is now restricted ($3M per season instead of per year) in the new CBA, that's a reasonable "out" in case the scenario of the Spurs having to open that extra cap space became a reality.
    That is not a gamble I believe the Spurs would want to take this summer. I would think the spurs would rather be in total control of offseason plans rather than relying on another team to help in creating salary room. Again, in my opinion this is all adding up to increase offers to RFA or FA's in general on the market this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to have to disagree. The Scola pick was a great one yet they gave up on him because he supposedly wasn't rebounding enough. Looking back on it, the Spurs gave up on Beno too quickly. They should have given him a legit shot in the 2005-06 season instead of signing NVE. Giving up on Mahinmi looks like a mistake. Giving up on Javtokas could be argued as a mistake due to who the Spurs wasted time on instead.
    To put Javtokas and Scola in the category "Spurs gave up too quickly on them" is a reach. Spurs gambled on them with very late second round picks and watched them half a decade playing in Europe before deciding they weren't good enough to get form Spurs the contract they wanted. I see nothing quick in this process.

Beno and Mahinmi fit the description "gave up too quickly" even if it's arguable for Beno. After the 05-06 NVE failure, Spurs gave Beno another long shot and he miserably failed.

When Spurs quickly gave up on a player they signed, they are rarely wrong. I can't fault Spurs FO for giving up quickly on players while their biggest misses are players like Mahinmi, Tolliver or Gee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In hindsight, if the Spurs would have simply developed the players they drafted, they undoubtedly would have been better for 2008 until now.

It's odd how they are such good drafters but their talent evaluation following the draft just isn't that good.

Welcome to Bizarro World. A few seasons ago, I committed the blasphemy of saying that Pop didn't develop young players for , and just got flamed to death over it. The fact is, Pop never has done much to recognize that it is a game played by human beings, and not pieces on a chessboard. Just the other night I heard him talk about how tough he was on Tony, and how he figured he would either come through it or crumble. And you can tell that he somehow wants to take credit for how Tony plays now. Absolutely arrogant bas that he is. Tony was more of a professional when he got here than Gregg Popovich ever was. That's the downside to having a theorist as a coach.

Pop seems to have softened a little - first with Hill and Blair, and now with Green. Not that he's actually developing talent, but at least he isn't constantly beating the crap out of them. And he's actually giving them minutes. And that really makes me think that Anderson isn't showing them much.

Anderson was, what, a 57th overall pick? His ceiling was/is "solid rotation player". You don't re-build with solid rotation players, you add them to the roster. Right now, Anderson is a potential rotation player. If the Spurs see signing him as endangering their ability to pick up a top-tier player, then they are probably on the right track. One low-ceiling project, one way or the other, isn't an answer to getting another banner for the rafters.

I said that they could re-sign him, even after failing to pick up his option. But Bruno is dead right - I don't remember seeing it happen. And it's not likely to happen this time. In a couple of seasons, KBP will know all about him. But even if he puts up big numbers, he's not Greek, so we'll just hear that he never developed.

Thread Information