My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    without Splitter we practically lost to two mid table euroleague teams (if preldzic didn't get injured in 4q it was guaranteed loss)

we also know that Spurs with no Splitter would have gotten shat on by Dirk and LMA in the post season (just like the 2009-2011 teams), not to mention Dallas series was already a 7game series, it would have been a easy 4-1 for Dallas with no Tiaguinho

9M is a ing steal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure.......if serious. Tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs do not win a championship without Splitter - he is our defensive anchor. Still, OP sounds a little too dramatic IMO ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little too over the top, but Splitter has made a huge difference with his defensive presence and ability to at least be able to handle/check some of the players that used to torch the Spurs.

Pop was wrong about not playing him from the get go and some of us here were right about him being able to help the team win. I still don't like some things about his game on the offensive end of the court, but I definitely appreciate him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking here for real numbers (i.e. stats) to back the claim. Anybody can have an opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking here for real numbers (i.e. stats) to back the claim. Anybody can have an opinion.
    that's ST tbh

people throwing random thoughts like this is bible getting more attention than people trying to back opinions with numbers

now regarding OP, I'm on the Splitter does not get enough credit bandwagon tbh Kawhi, Diaw, Green, Mills... received tons of credits for our 5th ring and Tiago not so much while he has been key. Heat is a bad match up for him so we have tendency to forget.

Defensively he has been a force because of especially his capacity to defend P&R and to chase mobile PFs. Per 36, he is tie with Tim on rpg which is a solid improvement. Now offensively, you cannot ask a lot more, he has the best FG% of the team during the POs and second best eFG%. He also converted 51 of his 71 FTs, .718, not a long time ago, dude was a liability on O because he seems to have forgot how to shoot FTs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only we could over-react a little more to a couple of pre-season games where:

1) We flew across the globe and were doing as much sight-seeing as practicing. Remember, jetlag wears off in 30 minutes for basketball players. They're superhuman.

2) Two key players sat out in the first game.

3) Four key players sat out in the second game.

4) Bryce Cotton, et al got serious minutes in the first game. Bryce, for example won't even be on the team come regular season as he doesn't appear to be an NBA player. But, you're worried about a loss where he played guard for quite a while, and think Splitter would have solved that issue.

5) These are pre-season games. That must be reiterated. Despite what Pop tells you in a press conference, there is not much gained by stomping these exhibition teams into the dirt. It would not be diplomatic to run them out of the gym, and run up the score by 30, nor do the players have the motivation to do it. It was a much more compe ive scrimmage game. That's all. Did you lose your when Silver lost to Black (Or, Black to Silver, I forget) in the open scrimmage? Expect nothing but for Pop to say in the presser "We tried to win." And, give props to Berlin. He is an ambassador for the NBA. Do not expect him to tell the truth: "In a real game Cotton et al get zero minutes, and Kawhi plays with Stink Eye." "In a real game we easily beat their team by 20 if we play our regular rotations." No. You play your training camp guys, try to keep it respectable. "Try" to win while evaluating players and coaching up your guys.

6) Our guys were coming off a victory parade and summer celebration. Their guys were in shape from recent play.

7) They didn't "practically lose" to Uker, that game was never in peril. Uker led by a basket or two very early, like in the teens, and The Spurs led the entire rest of the game. We didn't blow them out. I expect Pop will NEVER blow out a team he's playing an exhibition pre-season game against in a foreign country. Do you even have an inkling of who Pop is? Regarding our first game. Yes. We lost. It required our 5 time NBA champ, first ballot hall-of-famer, top ten ever legend to throw the ball away on an in-bound to kill the clock for the win. Then, a prayer at the buzzer. You're right. Without Splitter, we probably lose to Alba in a seven game series. Except, no. Spurs were mailing it in early, and gaffed a win late. No big deal. They did try to win it there in the middle, though. Luckily, they usually play the whole game in the NBA.

8) Alba and Uker had much more to prove playing us than we had to prove playing them. Much more pride at stake, which was really the only thing at stake. The Spurs number one priority was probably: No injuries. 2) Win Game.

Would Splitter have helped? Sure. Always nice to have the full complement of players and tools at your disposal, however, who cares, really. Remember when the cowboys lost every pre-season game and won The SuperBowl? Pre-season wins and losses are not indicative of season success, Testicles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs do not win a championship without Splitter - he is our defensive anchor. Still, OP sounds a little too dramatic IMO ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little too over the top, but Splitter has made a huge difference with his defensive presence and ability to at least be able to handle/check some of the players that used to torch the Spurs.

Pop was wrong about not playing him from the get go and some of us here were right about him being able to help the team win. I still don't like some things about his game on the offensive end of the court, but I definitely appreciate him.
    ^^^^^ This.

BTW to the OP we only go as far as our health goes, it is not just one player. Take Kawhi off or Tony etc. we don't go so far in the playoffs. Take TIM off FORGET IT, you can say that about quite a few on the team.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only we could over-react a little more to a couple of pre-season games where:

1) We flew across the globe and were doing as much sight-seeing as practicing. Remember, jetlag wears off in 30 minutes for basketball players. They're superhuman.

2) Two key players sat out in the first game.

3) Four key players sat out in the second game.

4) Bryce Cotton, et al got serious minutes in the first game. Bryce, for example won't even be on the team come regular season as he doesn't appear to be an NBA player. But, you're worried about a loss where he played guard for quite a while, and think Splitter would have solved that issue.

5) These are pre-season games. That must be reiterated. Despite what Pop tells you in a press conference, there is not much gained by stomping these exhibition teams into the dirt. It would not be diplomatic to run them out of the gym, and run up the score by 30, nor do the players have the motivation to do it. It was a much more compe ive scrimmage game. That's all. Did you lose your when Silver lost to Black (Or, Black to Silver, I forget) in the open scrimmage? Expect nothing but for Pop to say in the presser "We tried to win." And, give props to Berlin. He is an ambassador for the NBA. Do not expect him to tell the truth: "In a real game Cotton et al get zero minutes, and Kawhi plays with Stink Eye." "In a real game we easily beat their team by 20 if we play our regular rotations." No. You play your training camp guys, try to keep it respectable. "Try" to win while evaluating players and coaching up your guys.

6) Our guys were coming off a victory parade and summer celebration. Their guys were in shape from recent play.

7) They didn't "practically lose" to Uker, that game was never in peril. Uker led by a basket or two very early, like in the teens, and The Spurs led the entire rest of the game. We didn't blow them out. I expect Pop will NEVER blow out a team he's playing an exhibition pre-season game against in a foreign country. Do you even have an inkling of who Pop is? Regarding our first game. Yes. We lost. It required our 5 time NBA champ, first ballot hall-of-famer, top ten ever legend to throw the ball away on an in-bound to kill the clock for the win. Then, a prayer at the buzzer. You're right. Without Splitter, we probably lose to Alba in a seven game series. Except, no. Spurs were mailing it in early, and gaffed a win late. No big deal. They did try to win it there in the middle, though. Luckily, they usually play the whole game in the NBA.

8) Alba and Uker had much more to prove playing us than we had to prove playing them. Much more pride at stake, which was really the only thing at stake. The Spurs number one priority was probably: No injuries. 2) Win Game.

Would Splitter have helped? Sure. Always nice to have the full complement of players and tools at your disposal, however, who cares, really. Remember when the cowboys lost every pre-season game and won The SuperBowl? Pre-season wins and losses are not indicative of season success, Testicles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok, good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It amazes me how so many people here fall for the most obvious trolls. Not everything posted on the internet is serious, guys.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It amazes me how so many people here fall for the most obvious trolls. Not everything posted on the internet is serious, guys.
    Testies is serious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team goes as far as Baynes goes tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a Euroleague MVP, you know he'd know how to handle these Euro teams. Tbh you could see flashes of bronze in Tim's eyes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I still don't think we've unlocked his offensive potential but his defensive strengths more than make up for that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you imagine Blair trying to check Dirk or LA? The key was Pop rediscovering his defensive self. He figured out we were only going to win if we could hang our hats on defense. We've been good enough offensively the past couple of seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are in a very fortunate position with a very deep team with guys like Splitter who can fill certain responsibilities within the Spurs system. The greatest thing about this Spurs contingent is that players know their roles and accept them. It is a perfect symbiosis.

We don't have to worry about Splitter being there when needed because the staff evaluated his contributions to the team and decided to extend his contract.

Thread Information