Page 150 of 207 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 5170
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Henry Melton makes his feelings about Texas' D known:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...-nosebleed.ece

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    24/7 reporting that Texas is no longer recruiting JUCO DE Randy Gregory of Arizona Western. No reason was given. Gregory's season came to an end a few weeks ago after he discovered he had a broken fibula.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I wanted to talk for a minute about the Longhorn defense. Henry Melton had a very good point and quite frankly, I get tired of watching this defense play game in and game out as well. Okafor and Jeffcoat are playing lights out as expected but then again, this defense was supposed to be our strong point this season. The only startes that we lost on defense from last year were Robinson and Acho for the most part. How in the world can our defense regress that bad with only the loss of two linebackers? Diggs and Byndom were lights out last year and even Vaccaro was a beast that tried to knock out every receiver that came his way. Now, they are all getting beat and Vaccaro looks SOFT AS this season. His draft stock has got to be taking a huge hit. So my question is this...Is our defense really overrated or is Manny Diaz the problem? I know he is young and did great last year, but there is no way imaginable that a defense so strong can be so bad this fast. Just wanted some thoughts. I know I'm venting but DAMN I love some Texas D year in and year out. This year is hurts me to watch them on TV. They have their flashes of dominance but they are far from consistent as they should be.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I think Diaz is a lot of the problem.

Fundamentals seem to have completely gone out the window. And there are a lot of times where huge runs are a result of a massive gap due to a blitz being called and linebackers shooting through gaps that have no running back in them.

They need to cut back on all the blitzing crap, and start just playing more base defense, allow the defenders to read and react. Simplify the offense a bit for a young LB crew.

To cut him a little slack, they have played some pretty solid running teams through. Then a WVU team that has an incredibly prolific pass offense, which the Horns looked quite intent on containing (held them under 300 yards passing), and didn't pay much attention to the run.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I agree. I think alot of times, Diaz tries to get too cute with all the blitzing and this creates problems for the young linebackers. I still don't understand how our secondary keeps getting bashed week in and week out.

Has shaken hands with #50 ThePop's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Diaz is the problem, but not because of his schemes IMO. I'm basically going to repeat what I heard Jeff Howe and Rod Babers say on the Longhorn Roundup podcast, because I agree with it. It seems that the players are not prepared for the offenses we are facing. Our defense knows knows our gameplan against the offense, but they don't know what the offense is going to be doing. Sometimes you see them panicking before the ball is snapped as if they haven't seen that play before. Guys like Vaccaro are constantly instructing players on where to be and what they're supposed to be doing. I expect a guy like Steve Edmond to mess up here and there but it's 5 games into the season now and they should have learned a lot by now.

Maybe Diaz isn't preparing them? Maybe they're not watching enough film on the opponent? Rod Babers mentioned how West Virginia NEVER runs the ball in the redzone, something a team should figure out just by watching a little film, yet we had players trying to prevent the run every time in the red zone.

The podcast mentioned a play where there was an uncovered receiver, and Adrian Phillips and Kenny Vaccaro were yelling at Edmond (who looked like he was going to blitz) to drop back and cover the guy. Both Phillips and Vaccaro called a timeout right as the ball was about to be snapped rather than leave the receiver open. Turns out, Edmond was never going to blitz on that play and was going to cover the guy. This is an example of miscommunication and trust issues with this defense, there is a lack of chemistry there.

Just hope Jordan Hicks returns soon, because when we had Hicks the only major problem with this defense was tackling. Without him, all sorts of problems have come up.

P.S.
    Carrington Byndom has been abysmal this year. You can't explain that.
    Last edited by ThePop; 10-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Byndom has been a pile of crap this season.

Definitely seems to be communication issues on D.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Update on 2014 CB/S Tony Brown after his visit to Austin last weekend (OrangeBloods). His sister, Bealoved, is taking her official visit (for track) to LSU this weekend and Tony will be accompanying her.

"It was a really good game, a record crowd. It was really hyped up," Brown said. "It was a good atmosphere, good game overall so I liked it a lot."

"It was loud. I don't know how they could hear any audibles on the field,"
    Brown said. "I got to talk to the coaches after the game. We were just touching base. They were asking me about my dad, telling me I'd fit in perfectly with their press coverage. My mom talked to coach (Mack) Brown's wife for a little bit."

"It boosts them a little bit," Brown said. "But I'm really trying to stay neutral with my dad out of the recruiting process (Brown's father has been hospitalized since last month)."

"I'd rather play in atmospheres like (Texas-West Virginia) than a quiet, modest crowd,"
    Brown said. "The bigger the stage, I feel like the better I play. The better the receiver I'm matched up against, the better I play."

south central hood rat the chronic's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Looks like Malcolm Brown will be out for OU, but on the positive side it looks like Hicks plays.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Looks like Malcolm Brown will be out for OU, but on the positive side it looks like Hicks plays.
    Hicks is definitely more important at this point in time.

I have a feeling Gray is going to make some big plays happen again, like he did against WVU. Hopefully he learned from his mistake in his lazy blocking last week, because arguably that's the play that really screwed UT over, even worse than the bad snap or missed FG.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This is what I'm expecting but what is the source?

south central hood rat the chronic's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This is what I'm expecting but what is the source?
    Straight from team source, he's been practicing.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Straight from team source, he's been practicing.
    Both listed as doubtful. I guess we'll see what happens in the morning.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Sooo... The Red River Bloodbath was once again a embarrassment to say the least. Last year I was Irate after the game. I blew up on how that should almost never happen to a Texas team with a top 5 recruiting class every year, the biggest pond to fish for recruits in the nation, and enough resources to support 10 universities. But after seeing it happen again this year i guess i didnt overreact. Something has to change and it might have to involve our beloved Mack. I Love Mack, but maybe its time. Use those resources to bring in a high profile coach. Can u imagine what a Nick Saban would do in the State of Texas at UT? Im not suggesting we throw a boat load of money at him but i will also say that I wouldnt be upset. I really just wanted to paint a picture of how it could and should be at UT. A loss like this scares me when it comes to recruiting, Im sure this has some effect on how these kids view the program. I can guarantee that some kid on saturday afternoon, after seeing the game, had some reluctance about Texas. And it wasnt because we loss, it was the manner in which we loss to a rival school that we should have been pumped up to play. But hopefully TFloss can provide us with some type of good news on the recruiting landscape, or any good news really.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Nice article from Barking Carnival on Mack's career coming to a close:

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012/...Texas-football

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The hits keep coming. DE Jackson Jeffcoat done for the year:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ectoral-muscle

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    QB David Ash's wrist is not fractured despite initial reports saying the opposite:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...vs.-baylor.ece

Is this thread also gonna track the New Coaches Recruiting??

That being said and following up on the post above, what coaches are out there that should be considered as a possible "New Beginning" for the UT football program??

The rest of this season is going to reveal a lot about this program. Do they rebound as they would have done a few years ago or do they fold and end up like 2 yrs ago??

The hits keep coming. DE Jackson Jeffcoat done for the year:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ectoral-muscle
    Floss, Do you really need to include a link that makes us watch highlights of the game??? It's like seeing a car crash over and over again; you have to just keep watching!!! (maybe it will be a different outcome the more I watch)

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Is this thread also gonna track the New Coaches Recruiting??

The rest of this season is going to reveal a lot about this program. Do they rebound as they would have done a few years ago or do they fold and end up like 2 yrs ago??
    We'll definitely keep track of any new coaching hires much like in 2010. It may be the only thing we have to look forward to.

Judging by the players' body language on Saturday, it seems the coaches have lost them. I don't think a match-up with Baylor could be more ill-timed than the one coming up this weekend. They'll be out for blood after laying an egg against TCU. I'm definitely experiencing a 2010 type feeling right now and it will be worse if UT loses to Baylor three times in a row.

Floss, Do you really need to include a link that makes us watch highlights of the game??? It's like seeing a car crash over and over again; you have to just keep watching!!! (maybe it will be a different outcome the more I watch)
    Haha, my bad. I didn't even realize it had highlights because I linked it so quickly.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I didn't have time to post the recruits of interest that were in Dallas this weekend, so here goes:

DT, Justin Manning, Dallas Kimball
    LB, Mike Mitc , Plano Prestonwood Christian

RB, Devon Thomas, Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK)
    WR, KD Cannon, Mount Pleasant
    TE, Koda Martin, Manvel
    OL, Demetrius Knox, Fort Worth All Saints
    DE, Solomon Thomas, Coppell
    LB, Cameron Hampton, Dallas Carter
    CB, Darrion Johnson, Brenham
    CB, Nick Watkins, Dallas Bishop Dunne
    S, Jamal Adams, Carrollton Hebron
    S, Edward Paris, Mansfield Timberview
    S, Brandon Simmons, Mansfield Timberview
    ATH, Nick Harvey, Lancaster

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas @ Kansas will be on FSN at 11 a.m.

I part of a conversation on FB and one of the guys mentioned Chip Kelly. I can see many advantages to this hire especially since he already recruits Texas well. My concern is his "shady" recruiting issues and if he could even be lured away from Oregon where he is KING??

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Chip Kelly's shady recruiting has been in part due to the people around him. People in Texas won't let him hire street agents. I really like him, I hope we can hire him. My second option is Shaw and if we want to gamble I say, get Kirby Smart. Thats just my realistic wishful thinking. Ive always wondered what will happen with our recruiting class if we changed our head coach. This is one recruiting class that I would not mind a bunch of guys decomitting.
    Last edited by TheMex; 10-15-2012 at 10:57 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    First BCS rankings. Texas in at #25 and out of the AP:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Thread Information