My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    We all have our likes an dislikes of our current system. it is very unlikely it will get any better. Does anyone think it possible to allow tax payers to determine which federal funding half, or some other percentage, of their money goes to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all have our likes an dislikes of our current system. it is very unlikely it will get any better. Does anyone think it possible to allow tax payers to determine which federal funding half, or some other percentage, of their money goes to?
    As it works now: Govt wants to spend $X on a program. They allocate $X to that program.

As it would work under your concept: Govt wants to spend $X on a program. Govt then has to go through everybody's tax returns to tally up how much $ everybody was willing to allocate to that program out of the half they get to choose on. Govt then simply allocates funds out of the half the govt gets to choose on, all to arrive at $X.

Not really seeing what this is supposed to accomplish. Seems like you'd just be creating an un-necessary and expensive accounting exercise just to arrive at the same result you would have otherwise just for the sake of giving taxpayers a warm fuzzy about being able to support or deny support to their favorite/least favorite govt programs.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    As it works now: Govt wants to spend $X on a program. They allocate $X to that program.

As it would work under your concept: Govt wants to spend $X on a program. Govt then has to go through everybody's tax returns to tally up how much $ everybody was willing to allocate to that program out of the half they get to choose on. Govt then simply allocates funds out of the half the govt gets to choose on, all to arrive at $X.

Not really seeing what this is supposed to accomplish. Seems like you'd just be creating an un-necessary and expensive accounting exercise just to arrive at the same result you would have otherwise just for the sake of giving taxpayers a warm fuzzy about being able to support or deny support to their favorite/least favorite govt programs.
    I agree. The percentage off allocated contributions would have to be pretty high to matter.

I wonder how many people realize you hit a bullseye with how local government often does bond measure, asking for targeted funding.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. The percentage off allocated contributions would have to be pretty high to matter.

I wonder how many people realize you hit a bullseye with how local government often does bond measure, asking for targeted funding.
    Not sure I get your point. Anyone who has ever voted in a local election should understand how voters get to vote on bond measures where the funds are targeted for a specific purpose.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't this partly achieved by deducting certain donations on your tax returns?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just when I think you couldn't top yourself, you do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets add policy making to the list of things that wilddumbass is clueless about.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Not sure I get your point. Anyone who has ever voted in a local election should understand how voters get to vote on bond measures where the funds are targeted for a specific purpose.
    I don't know how it works where you live, but here it increases property taxes. Most often these are programs the state or county would fund anyway, but they get us to pay more by voluntarily increasing our own property taxes.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how it works where you live, but here it increases property taxes. Most often these are programs the state or county would fund anyway, but they get us to pay more by voluntarily increasing our own property taxes.
    Still not sure what you're driving at. Seems pretty obvious that if you vote to allow your local government to borrow money that it needs to be repaid somehow.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Still not sure what you're driving at. Seems pretty obvious that if you vote to allow your local government to borrow money that it needs to be repaid somehow.
    Absolutely. A house owner will tell you that these bond measures raise their property taxes to pay for the bond measures. Renters don't directly see it, but it becomes part of the rent prices they pay, and the owner pays more in taxes.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    OK...

Now would you agree that many of these programs would be funded anyway if the bond measure failed, that government would just change the allotments of their revenue, and maybe spend it more wisely?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. A house owner will tell you that these bond measures raise their property taxes to pay for the bond measures. Renters don't directly see it, but it becomes part of the rent prices they pay, and the owner pays more in taxes.
    get rich or die trying through real estate

they benefit from negative gearing and capital gains tax...

fck them and their yields

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK...

Now would you agree that many of these programs would be funded anyway if the bond measure failed, that government would just change the allotments of their revenue, and maybe spend it more wisely?
    No.

Thread Information