Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news...rticle=9806549

The Texas Women's Health Program is being shut down by the Department of Health and Human Services, because federal rules say the state doesn't have the authority to deny funding to Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers, even if the groups don't use the tax money for abortion activities, 1200 WOAI news reports.
    DHHS attempted to cut out Planned Parenthood from the groups receiving women's health funding under the program, but the federal government said the state is banned from 'picking and choosing' which clinics can and which cannot participate in the program, which is designed to provide family planning advice and care to poor women.
    So under a law passed by the Republican dominated Legislature last year, the state is required to scrap the entire program, rather than use tax money to fund abortion providers.
    "I think we are probably going to see potentially more clinic closures ahead, and there is no doubt that there will be more women who don't have health care services as a result," Sarah Wheat, co-director of Planned Parenthood of Texas, told 1200 WOAI news.
    If the groups can't reach agreement, the women's health program will shut down at the end of March.
    Wheat says the Women's Health Program actually works, and cutting it will damage taxpayers as well as poor women.
    "Texas is choosing to cancel a program that has been unbelievably successful in saving money for taxpayers," she said.
    She says the program provided preventative health programs, screening for breast cancer, STD testing, and other programs. Wheat says if no agreement is reached, the state will end up spending millions more, as women show up at hospital emergency rooms suffering from breast cancer and other conditions.
    It didn't take the Texas Democratic Party long to use the decision as a fundraising pitch. The party sent out an e-mail Thursday night asking for donations to 'combat the Republican war on women.'
    "Today's decision is absolutely indefensible, and every Texas Republican should be ashamed!" wrote party comptroller Sarah Joyner.

~~I understand the issue of not wanting fed funds for abortion but the consequences reach farther than just abortion. IMHO.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you will need to go to a church to get with any feminine health issues taken care of.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seven states filed a lawsuit Thursday to block the federal government's requirement that religious organizations offer health insurance coverage that includes free access to contraception for women.

The attorney generals of Texas, Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Carolina jointly filed the lawsuit in a Nebraska US District Court.

Two private citizens, two religious non-profit organizations and a Catholic school also joined the lawsuit against the contraception mandate, which is part of President Barack Obama's sweeping health care law.

The lawsuit asks a federal judge to declare the law uncons utional and enjoin the government from enforcing the requirement.

The states filed the suit despite a compromise announced by Obama earlier this month in which religious organizations with objections to the law will no longer be required to offer free birth control to female employees next year.

Under Obama's new approach, insurance companies, rather than religious organizations, will be obligated to offer contraception for free to the ins utions' employees.

"The president's so called 'accommodation' was nothing but a s game: the mandate still requires religious organizations to subsidize and authorize conduct that conflicts with their religious principles," Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said in a statement. "The very first amendment to our Cons ution was intended to protect against this sort of government intrusion into our religious convictions."

The Obama administration did not comment on the lawsuit Thursday.

The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty has previously filed several lawsuits on behalf of religious organizations also seeking to strike down the law.

Houses of worship -- such as churches, synagogues and mosques -- are exempt from the law's requirement of providing contraceptives to female employees, but religious leaders have expressed outrage that other religious organizations -- such as schools and hospitals -- are not barred from the law's reach.

Like the Texas attorney general, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said earlier its month it still opposed the federal government's mandate after Obama's compromise.

The religious freedom issue has become a major political topic, with each major Republican presidential candidate saying they oppose Obama's requirement.

And on Wednesday, a federal judge blocked a Washington state regulation that forced pharmacists to sell emergency contraceptives over their religious objections.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews
    Our tax dollars at work. Butthurtness and feigned outrage lead us to frivilous lawsuits that are paid for by our tax dollars. Great job guys!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Estimates are that the 80K TX abortions/year will jump to 100K as result of TX Repugs shutting down health clinics for the poor (women) and denying them contraception.

Once the fabricated "war on freedom of religion" allows a retailer to deny a sale because of his moral principles, the door will be open for all kinds of " you" denial of sales.

As Moyers points out, freedom of religion also implies freedom from religion.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is why aren't abortion clinics simply abortion clinics? Why must they be lumped with other women's health services? I'd think this would/should be a neccesary step to alleviate the whole "we hate women" "debate". The whole "but this money isn't used for abortions" excuse, for lack of a better word, is flimsy too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "lumped with other women's health services"

The Repugs' long war on womens' vaginas doesn't stop at abortion. It includes contraception.

Next will be clitorectomy to be required for welfare, child/housing support, food stamps, unemployment checks. Small, non-intrusive govt at its very best.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are Conservatives Winning the War on Women? How the Religious Lobbying Industry Truly Threatens Our Rights

The opponents of birth control insurance coverage don’t use an election as a metric. Sure, they’d love to win, but even a loss inspires them to redouble their efforts, not to pack up and go home after learning they are on the minority side of public opinion.

They are evangelists. If public opinion isn’t on their side, they’ll strive to change public opinion. They are dogged, well-financed and unrelenting. Their claims about the proper role of religion in governing and policymaking — which Democrats fail to contest forcefully enough — are eroding the separation of church and state, and taking down gains made in access to reproductive healthcare along with it.

As Scott Lemieux writes at Lawyers, Guns and Money, “a cons utional challenge to the contraception provision wouldn’t even rise to the level of being frivolous” under existing cons utional jurisprudence. Contrary to conservative claims, the Supreme Court has not interpreted the Free Exercise Clause as requiring such expansive religious exemptions. But in our current political climate, which causes Democrats to crouch in fear of being labeled anti-religion, such exemptions are nonetheless tucked away in legislation at the behest of the burgeoning religious lobbying industry, becoming law even if not required to protect free exercise rights.

http://www.alternet.org/sex/154278/a...paign=alternet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When Gov. Rick Perry goes under the knife on Friday morning to repair his right clavicle, he'll be in the hands of the president of the Texas Medical Association — a prominent Austin surgeon who has been a critic of some of the causes the governor has championed.

Dr. Bruce Malone's personal opinions on the state’s new abortion sonogram law and massive reductions to state family planning funding run counter to the governor's. He told The Texas Tribune last month that slashing family planning dollars and eliminating the Medicaid Women's Health Program to force Planned Parenthood out of Texas would be "a very stupid political thing," adding that there is not "another safety net for these women for medical care."
    http://www.texastribune.org/texas-pe...vicle-surgery/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perry's office said any disagreement on those issues plays absolutely no role in the governor's surgery, which is the result of a 2009 bicycle injury that did not heal properly. Malone, an orthopedic surgeon who has headed the TMA since May, will perform the 90-minute outpatient procedure.

During a phone interview with the Tribune, Malone clarified — but did not back down from — his criticism over Texas' threats to refuse federal women's health funding if the state can't exclude Planned Parenthood clinics. Perry has repeatedly laid the blame for the likely demise of the Women's Health Program at the Obama administration's feet.

“I didn’t say it was a political decision. I think I used the word 'stupid,'” Malone said. “We don’t have a policy at the Texas Medical Association on the ethics of abortion. What I’m worried about is the well woman exams, the pap smears, all the services that poor women need. I think we need to worry more about the health of the women who don’t have the resources to get the care anywhere else.”
    same

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That;s what they get for ing about planned parenthood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the GOP just trying to punt in 2012? you really gotta wonder

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the GOP just trying to punt in 2012? you really gotta wonder

This is really very very sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry, double post

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    This is really very very sad.
    I'll punt for s and giggles...

Is it?

Where's the equality?

What about mens rights?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is why aren't abortion clinics simply abortion clinics? Why must they be lumped with other women's health services? I'd think this would/should be a neccesary step to alleviate the whole "we hate women" "debate". The whole "but this money isn't used for abortions" excuse, for lack of a better word, is flimsy too.
    In some areas of Texas, Planned Parenthood is the only one around providing preventive health care services to low-income women. It is the same reason for the whole issue with Susan G. Komen. In some areas, the only en y providing breast cancer screening for poor women is Planned Parenthood.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    In some areas of Texas, Planned Parenthood is the only one around providing preventive health care services to low-income women. It is the same reason for the whole issue with Susan G. Komen. In some areas, the only en y providing breast cancer screening for poor women is Planned Parenthood.
    Yes, but Planned parenthood is best known for their work aborting babies. I will not deny that they do actual good work, but how does someone know their funding will be for a cause they believe in, and not used for stuff appalling to them.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ron Paul said it best in the last debate. Planned Parenthood should get nothing. He's right. That pathetic baby killing organization should be privately funded. Uncle Sam should not give a in penny to Planned Parenthood. If people love baby killing so much, pay for women to kill their unborn babies. Get abortion supporters and liberal celebs to foot the bill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but Planned parenthood is best known for their work aborting babies. I will not deny that they do actual good work, but how does someone know their funding will be for a cause they believe in, and not used for stuff appalling to them.
    Actually, I never knew that they performed any abortions at all until hearing about this in the last couple of months.

I think most people assume they (PP) provide prenatal care and contraceptives. That IS what they do most of.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. I don't see how it's planning for parenthood if you abort the baby.............

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having an unwanted/accidental baby is not Planned Parenthood

Having a wanted baby when you want is Planned Parenthood.

100Ms of women since oral contraception was introduced, including Ms who will for Repug politicians' War on Contraception, have used condoms and contraception to plan their parenthood.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but Planned parenthood is best known for their work aborting babies.
    Yes, they're best known for that because people like you don't know anything about them except what you hear from AM radio and the emails forwarded to you. Maybe you should make more of an effort to have a modi of intelligence about the subjects you're discussing.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Yes, they're best known for that because people like you don't know anything about them except what you hear from AM radio and the emails forwarded to you. Maybe you should make more of an effort to have a modi of intelligence about the subjects you're discussing.
    Are you saying they are not a large abortion provider? Maybe the largest?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    How does 331,796 abortions in 2009 and 329,445 in 2010 sound to you?

2009 to 2010 Planned Parenthood Annual report

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    80K abortions/year in deep red TX. Think they are all Dem women?

Thread Information