My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I know, they've said and done this before only to go back on their word, but I'm surprised none of you could tear yourselves away from insulting the other party to post something about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/wo...k.html?_r=1&hp

WASHINGTON — North Korea announced on Wednesday that it would suspend nuclear weapons tests and uranium enrichment and allow international inspectors to monitor activities at its main nuclear complex, a step that raised the possibility of ending a diplomatic impasse that has allowed the country’s nuclear program to continue with no international oversight for years.

Although the Obama administration called the steps “important, if limited,” they nonetheless signaled that the country’s new leader, Kim Jong-un, is at least willing to engage with the United States, which pledged in exchange to ship tons of food aid to the isolated, impoverished nation.

The United States and other nations have been watching closely to see whether Mr. Kim’s rise to power would alter the country’s behavior following the death of his father, Kim Jong-il, late last year.

North Korea also agreed on a moratorium on launchings of long-range missiles, which have in the past raised military tensions in the region, but joint statements released by the State Department and North Korea’s official news agency omitted direct references to relations with South Korea, which remain tense.

North Korea has agreed in the past to halt its nuclear program only to back out, demanding more concessions or accusing the United States of reneging on its obligations. And the statement Tuesday from the North’s official Korean Central News Agency included a caveat, saying the country would carry out the agreement only “as long as talks proceed fruitfully.”

[more at link]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, heard about this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    North Korea has played this game before. THe only reason to get excited about it would be if it came out that the military forced Un's hand and will make sure he backs it up with real action.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the USA's last chance at having any kind of direct political effect on their uranium enrichment programs as well as formally clearing the air on the Korean peninsula (where tens of thousands of Americans died, no less). Knowing the USA is soon out of the picture to be replaced by China, I doubt the NK regime sticks to their word for long. We'll see how shrewd Lil Kim really is.

Thread Information