Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am just going to drop this right here in case y'all are interested.

http://studentaffairs.georgetown.edu...lanbooklet.pdf
    We are clearly no interested, .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's just my own personal distinction.

I see it like the difference between a high school athlete and a pro. I've got no problem with some TV newscaster calling a professional athlete a bum because it goes with the territory, but I don't want to see some high school kid trying his best be called a bum by the same guy. The higher the level the higher the scrutiny and the thicker your skin needs to be. If she really is a professional activist that was planted on that committee impersonating an innocent college student then she can expect to play by a rougher rule book.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's just my own personal distinction.

I see it like the difference between a high school athlete and a pro. I've got no problem with some TV newscaster calling a professional athlete a bum because it goes with the territory, but I don't want to see some high school kid trying his best be called a bum by the same guy. The higher the level the higher the scrutiny and the thicker your skin needs to be. If she really is a professional activist that was planted on that committee impersonating an innocent college student then she can expect to play by a rougher rule book.
    I am just going to assume you didn't watch her testimony and are making or up your little characterization there or parroting someone else's.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am just going to assume you didn't watch her testimony and are making or up your little characterization there or parroting someone else's.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I didn't watch it live. did you? I did see part of it on tape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't watch it live. did you?
    I'm not the one claiming she is impersonating anything.
    I did see part of it on tape.
    And what part of it led you to the conclusion she was impersonating an innocent college student?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The One Percenters love the culture wars - what an excellent distraction from the class war.
    Your attempt to tear the veil of ideological mystification from our eyes met with far less apparent success than the distraction you bemoaned. Better luck next time.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't watch it live. did you? I did see part of it on tape.
    which part? 'cause I don't see where she's playing the part of an innocent college student...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I particularly remember the part about the alleged $3000 cost and it being equivalent to summer internship earnings. Why is it important to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I particularly remember the part about the alleged $3000 cost and it being equivalent to summer internship earnings. Why is it important to you?
    That made her appear innocent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it important to you?
    It isn't really, and yes, I know you weren't talking to me, but it is curious that you made no attempt whatsoever to answer the man's question.

Which part did you see?

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I amended my statement

which part? 'cause I don't see where she's playing the part of an innocent college student...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are correct. She looked like a planted hit piece to advocate "free" contraception.

My faulty assumption was that you guys saw her as an innocent college student.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    planted by whom?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still on the free contraception tip?

smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you would have to ask her how she just happened to end up in that congressional hearing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh, scare quotes, right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you would have to ask her how she just happened to end up in that congressional hearing.
    Presumably it wouldn't be very difficult to find out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know, if you really cared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know, if you really cared.
    It was YOUR question...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was YOUR question...
    technically, it was originally MNMNA's. which you still refuse to answer. Why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was YOUR question...
    It's YOUR assertion she was impersonating an innocent student.

You are failing badly at backing up that claim with anything tangible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    substantiate your insinuation that Sandra fluke is a political plant with something other than hand waving.

btw, that's not a question, but the burden of your own claim. what you got?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still on the free contraception tip?

smh
    Yep it's getting pretty old. Here's the transcript of her testimony, I've read it several times and saw the testimony. Will someone please show me the part where she demands free contraception? Or even states that she believes that someone else should pay for her contraception?

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politic...%20hearing.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (besides Mytheos and Jammie Wearin Fool, obviously)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...57HR_blog.html

Meet Sandra Fluke: The woman you didn’t hear at Congress’ contraceptives hearing
    Posted by Sarah Kliff at 02:16 PM ET, 02/16/2012
    Text Size PrintE-mailReprints
    Share:
    More >

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) held a hearing Thursday on the health reform law’s mandated coverage of contraceptives. (Stephen Morton - BLOOMBERG) Congress held a lengthy hearing Thursday morning on the health reform law’s mandated coverage of contraceptives, probing whether the provision violates religious liberties.

The hearing has gotten a lot of attention not necessarily for what happened there, but what didn’t. Namely, no one testified in favor of the contraceptives mandate. Moreover, no women participated in the first, three-hour panel (two women did testify against the provision in the second panel.)

The Democrats did, however, invite one woman to speak: Sandra Fluke, a third-year student at Georgetown Law and past president of the school’s Students for Reproductive Justice group. Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who chaired the hearing, said the minority party had submitted her name too late to be considered (Democrats contest this). I caught her outside the hearing room, and we spoke about what she would have told the committee.

Fluke came to Georgetown University interested in contraceptive coverage: She researched the Jesuit college’s health plans for students before enrolling, and found that birth control was not included. “I decided I was absolutely not willing to compromise the quality of my education in exchange for my health care,” says Fluke, who has spent the past three years lobbying the administration to change its policy on the issue. The issue got the university president’s office last spring, where Georgetown declined to change its policy.

Fluke says she would have used the hearing to talk about the students at Georgetown that don’t have birth control covered, and what that’s meant for them. “I wanted to be able to share their stories,” she says. “My testimony would have been about women who have been affected by their policy, who have medical needs and have suffered dire consequences.. . .The committee did not get to hear real stories I had to share, about actual women who have been dramatically affected by this policy.”

I asked Fluke what she’s learned about reproductive health politics over the past few months, as the nation has debated the role of contraceptives coverage in health reform. “Sadly, I think what I have learned is how willing some members of our government are to play political football with women’s health,” she says. “That has been heartbreaking to watch.

Fluke plans to continue working on the issue to ensure that the health reform regulations do eventually require Georgetown University to provide birth control to its students. She’s keeping an eye both on the accommodations the White House rolled out last month, as well as a separate regulation on student health plans now being reviewed by the Office of Budget and Management. That’s the regulation that will determine whether the no-copay birth control provisions also apply to student health plans.

Fluke stayed for the first few moments of the hearing, long enough to hear a representative of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops speak, before walking out in protest with the Democratic women who sit on the committee.

Thread Information