My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    have you checked the links?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    have you checked the links?
    Apparently you haven't. They are just advertisement links. I have looked for quotes. Please show me where Sears Holdings made the claimed statement.

Sears Holding's Press Releases

I searched others, and could not find them. The Allstate one is from facebook. Did it come from the corporate Allstate, or an individual office? Couldn't find it either.

Still looking, but haven't found any.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MAHER: To compare that to Rush is ridiculous - he went after a civilian about very specific behavior, that was a lie, speaking for a party that has systematically gone after women's rights all year, on the public airwaves. I used a rude word about a public figure who gives as good as she gets, who's called people "terrorist" and "unAmerican." Sarah Barracuda. The First Amendment was specifically designed for citizens to insult politicians. Libel laws were written to protect law students speaking out on political issues from getting called s by Oxycontin addicts.
    +1

http://gma.yahoo.com/four-questions-...-abc-news.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MAHER: Of course if you take out of context over 10 years snippets inside comedy bits you can make anyone look bad - and sometimes, I have been! Not perfect, but not misogyny. In general, this is an obvious right wing attempt to dredge up some old about me to deflect from their self-inflicted problems. They are the kings of false equivalencies.

And through it all, I have defended Rush's right to stay on the air! Not what he said, that was disgusting - but the right to not disappear because people who don't even listen to you don't like what you said. That really bothers me. I never hear Rush Limbaugh unless a guy in the next truck at a stop light has it on; it would be arrogant for me to say "he has to disappear" and deprive the people who do listen to him of what they like. We all have different tastes and different opinions, that's America
    From the same quick interview.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we could ask vy.

Do Rush's comments rise to the level of libel or slander?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    slander n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit. Damages (payoff for worth) for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malicious intent, since such damages are usually difficult to specify and harder to prove. Some statements such as an untrue accusation of having committed a crime, having a loathsome disease, or being unable to perform one's occupation are treated as slander per se since the harm and malice are obvious, and therefore usually result in general and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed. Words spoken over the air on television or radio are treated as libel (written defamation) and not slander on the theory that broadcasting reaches a large audience as much if not more than printed publications. (
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/slander

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    libel 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or en y (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact, and is not clearly identified as an opinion. While it is sometimes said that the person making the libelous statement must have been intentional and malicious, actually it need only be obvious that the statement would do harm and is untrue. Proof of malice, however, does allow a party defamed to sue for "general damages" for damage to reputation, while an inadvertent libel limits the damages to actual harm (such as loss of business) called "special damages." "Libel per se" involves statements so vicious that malice is assumed and does not require a proof of intent to get an award of general damages. Libel against the reputation of a person who has died will allow surviving members of the family to bring an action for damages.

Most states provide for a party defamed by a periodical to demand a published retraction. If the correction is made, then there is no right to file a lawsuit.
    He kept doubling down on it.

Then stopped.

I think the lawyers told him "she can sue your socks off, you dumb ", and that is the only reason he took it back.

Not because he was sorry, but because he didn't want to be deprived of any precious money, IMO. He has never been sorry for anything, unless it affected him financially.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He kept doubling down on it.

Then stopped.

I think the lawyers told him "she can sue your socks off, you dumb ", and that is the only reason he took it back.

Not because he was sorry, but because he didn't want to be deprived of any precious money, IMO. He has never been sorry for anything, unless it affected him financially.
    I hate taking the side of Rush, but I completely disagree with Mahrs rebuttal. Fluke made a public statement in testimony before congress. New stations across the country picked up that story and ran with it. Fluke has appeared on several news shows like Headline News and talk shows like the View. She has made herself a public figure, not a politician, but this is why Paris Hilton, Brittney Speirs and any other movie star/singer/ famous persons have a damn near impossible time suing for libel/slander/defamation.

I don't know why Rush apologized nor do I care why. Fluke would have no case against him and any suit filed would be for publicity purposes only. Rush would probably grow his listenership and sponsors. JMHO.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I don't know why Rush apologized nor do I care why. Fluke would have no case against him and any suit filed would be for publicity purposes only. Rush would probably grow his listenership and sponsors. JMHO.
    I think is a given that the more the left makes of this incident, the more listeners Rush will get. Sponsors... I'm sure he will have no problem there as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate taking the side of Rush, but I completely disagree with Mahrs rebuttal. Fluke made a public statement in testimony before congress.
    So if you were called to give your opinion to congress, that gives anyone who disagrees with your opinion license to say something similar?

This isn't really a public figure beyond that single statement.

Even so, no one deserves that kind of .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if you were called to give your opinion to congress, that gives anyone who disagrees with your opinion license to say something similar?

This isn't really a public figure beyond that single statement.

Even so, no one deserves that kind of .
    Sure, freedom of speech. I don't believe women are a protected class covered under any hate crime law nor do I beieve that speech would be illegal. Not that I am an expert on the subject. If I were Fluke looking for a case against Rush she might have to look to see if there is some form of violation of the FCC.

Defamation is one of the hardest torts to prove. When I started my private practice several years ago, I learned this the hard way. The burden is almost impossible to meet. She has no case and Rush has money to burn in his defense.

THe number of statements do not make a difference. The setting of the speech makes all the difference. Her appearing on talk shows and cable news programs just reinforces that she has become a "public figure". Again, I am no expert on this subject, but under my understanding of defamation, she loses.

You have no argument from me that no one deserves what Rush said. No one deserves what Bill Mahr said either, but this is America and we have to live with free speech, even when we absolutely hate it. Its why people can see things like God Hates s at soldiers funerals and we just have to shut up and take it.

Again, I am not here to defend Rush. He is a big boy and should take full responsibility for his words. I also disagree with BM in that, people who are offended by someone's words should ban together to boycott Rush or his sponsors if they feel so passionate about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, freedom of speech. I don't believe women are a protected class covered under any hate crime law nor do I beieve that speech would be illegal. Not that I am an expert on the subject. If I were Fluke looking for a case against Rush she might have to look to see if there is some form of violation of the FCC.

Defamation is one of the hardest torts to prove. When I started my private practice several years ago, I learned this the hard way. The burden is almost impossible to meet. She has no case and Rush has money to burn in his defense.

THe number of statements do not make a difference. The setting of the speech makes all the difference. Her appearing on talk shows and cable news programs just reinforces that she has become a "public figure". Again, I am no expert on this subject, but under my understanding of defamation, she loses.

You have no argument from me that no one deserves what Rush said. No one deserves what Bill Mahr said either, but this is America and we have to live with free speech, even when we absolutely hate it. Its why people can see things like God Hates s at soldiers funerals and we just have to shut up and take it.

Again, I am not here to defend Rush. He is a big boy and should take full responsibility for his words. I also disagree with BM in that, people who are offended by someone's words should ban together to boycott Rush or his sponsors if they feel so passionate about it.
    The freedom of the people to group together to make their voices louder is what freedom is all about. yeah the people should ban together to get things done. 1 finger pointing out a wrong is one thing but put those 5 fingers together and you can make a fist and hit back harder!!

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that for real or joke?
    Yeah lifetime used to be a sponsor...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The freedom of the people to group together to make their voices louder is what freedom is all about. yeah the people should ban together to get things done. 1 finger pointing out a wrong is one thing but put those 5 fingers together and you can make a fist and hit back harder!!
    go burn a bra.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    just shut up, asshole

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When are these same women going after CBS, HBO and Politico?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, keep your damn fetishes to yourself you unAmerican bas !!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Willard Gecko's Bain owns (most of) Clear Channel which owns the company that pays RL $38M/year.

Think Clear Channel's hate radio foamers and slanderers will be pimping Willard and trashing Hussein?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count