Weight: 220 lbs
    Birthday: 12/08/1989
    College: Saint Bonaventure

DraftExpress
    nbadraft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure of the plans the Spurs have for the overseas bigs in the off season, but this kid could step in and play early. He would make a good compliment to Splitter in the future. Listed at 6'9 220 on Draftexpress but St B lists him at 6'9 and 240. Against Xaiver, he looks even taller than this. His stats match those of the top picks and exceed Drummonds.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wondered if someone would bump this thread today.

Kid looked good and has really come on late in the season but it's still hard to say if he is worth a first round pick. I'd like to see how he measures out and how he does at the combine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am glad they made the big dance. He will have a place to showcase his talent. I been watching his stats since early Feb when he drop a 20-20 game. This was first actual live game and he did impress me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid is playing really well against FSU today..really raising his stock today

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude can play. I wonder if he could be a SF in NBA standarts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this guy would be a perfect fit for the Spurs. He can hit the midrange, and may even be able to hit the 3, He's long and a good defender.He's improved is rebounding in every year of college. He needs to add strength and gain weight. He can't be worse than bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have to be convinced that his high turnover rate and complete lack of passing are the result of playing on a terrible team and not fundamental flaws in his game. Passing is utterly fundamental to our system, and he'll ride a lot of pine if he can't keep turnovers under control. And he doesn't seem like he has the ideal toughness we would want.

That said, he's smart, he has a lot of physical tools, and he came to basketball late, so he still has plenty of room to keep improving. I don't know if we'll have a draft pick in the 20s (where he's projected to go), but he definitely has potential.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have to be convinced that his high turnover rate and complete lack of passing are the result of playing on a terrible team and not fundamental flaws in his game. Passing is utterly fundamental to our system, and he'll ride a lot of pine if he can't keep turnovers under control. And he doesn't seem like he has the ideal toughness we would want.

That said, he's smart, he has a lot of physical tools, and he came to basketball late, so he still has plenty of room to keep improving. I don't know if we'll have a draft pick in the 20s (where he's projected to go), but he definitely has potential.
    How does someone have a high turnover rate while never passing it? I can only think of ball-handling errors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He measured out nice. He could be a little bit bulkier as a PF but has nice length for the position(almost five inches more wingspan and two inches more standing reach than Blake Griffin at the same height). He wouldn't be a bad option if the Spurs felt like trading into the late first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does someone have a high turnover rate while never passing it? I can only think of ball-handling errors.
    Either that or he's making passes, but they pretty much never lead to assists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't have much help at St. Bonaventure and was asked to do a lot. I'm sure they would come down when he's on a good team where he can play within the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His profile has a lot of questions including toughness, ability to shoot jumpers at a decent percentage, create for himself in the low post, bad defense against the PNR. Really sounds more like a project and I am more hoping the team picks someone up as a fifth big with reliable defense.

The summary sounds good but I am not sure he is going to help play a role or anchor an above average defense especially with questions about his toughness. There is no mention of dunking or put-backs which I also think would almost be a minimum requirement for the Spurs considering he may be a replacement one for one of our current bigs that can't buy playing time in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shot 43% from distance. Not sure what you are looking for as far as a jump shooter goes but that is pretty good. It also says that his post game is one of his best assets and he finishes well for his size in both pulling up and going to the rim. As someone who watched him play some late in the year...I can tell you that all of these statements are accurate.

His defense does need some work, but he's smart and has the tools to be a decent defender at the next level. He'll be a scoring PF off the bench that will guard other bench PF's...so I think he will be ok. Remember, it's the late first round...all the players taken here will be flawed. It's easier to teach an already smart player to defend that already has talent offensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft reports said Kawhi couldn't shoot. Don't read too much into draft reports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shot 43% from distance. Not sure what you are looking for as far as a jump shooter goes but that is pretty good. It also says that his post game is one of his best assets and he finishes well for his size in both pulling up and going to the rim. As someone who watched him play some late in the year...I can tell you that all of these statements are accurate.

His defense does need some work, but he's smart and has the tools to be a decent defender at the next level. He'll be a scoring PF off the bench that will guard other bench PF's...so I think he will be ok. Remember, it's the late first round...all the players taken here will be flawed. It's easier to teach an already smart player to defend that already has talent offensively.
    Well the scouting report stated he was 35% on jump shots this year, it went down from 43% the previous year but maybe it is also because he was getting double teamed more, it did say he had a hard time recognizing them. So if he can keep up the 43% great. This is probably more likely if he starts his career as a bench player. I guess the real question is if he can convince Pop that he deserves playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft reports said Kawhi couldn't shoot. Don't read too much into draft reports.
    True, I've just been trying to read up on possible big prospects and really just hope we are able to pick one up that is able to help the team out in some area this upcoming year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the scouting report stated he was 35% on jump shots this year, it went down from 43% the previous year but maybe it is also because he was getting double teamed more, it did say he had a hard time recognizing them. So if he can keep up the 43% great. This is probably more likely if he starts his career as a bench player. I guess the real question is if he can convince Pop that he deserves playing time.
    (fights to keep patience with grey poster)

Check the date...the scouting report was posted only halfway through the season. At the time he was converting 35% of his threes. If you scroll to the top of you will see his season stats. He finished the season with an overall FG% of 57%...59% on two pointers and 43% on threes. In fact, he finished the season blistering from distance...shooting 63% over the final ten games.

I watched several of his games late in the season and he is a very nice looking offensive player. With him being such an intelligent young man, I think it won't be hard to take the physical tools that are already there and mold him into a nice team defender...which is more important than what he can or cannot do in a one on one match up.

Furthermore...he was made to be Leonard's teammate. Just look at the tweet about his draft interview:
    Andrew Nicholson interview was kind of awkward. Not a man of many words/same facial expressions.
    Perfect fit tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a good video of him late in the season during the Atlantic 10 tournament and the NCAA tournament. Good post moves and a good shooter. He looks good on the pick and pop which is a Spurs staple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Besides Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller, the next more impressive big man in this study is likely Andrew Nicholson. Nicholson shouldered a heavy offensive load for St. Bonaventure (3rd highest of the 26 prospects), but still ranks as the 5th most efficient scorer overall. The fact that he was so effective with his back to the basket (5th best post scorer) and facing the basket (#1 in overall jump-shot attempts, 2nd most efficient shooter at 1.096), and with the ball (#3 in total isolation attempts, #3 in efficiency) is impressive. Nicholson is effective in pretty much every area we looked at, highlighting his extremely high skill-level.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1ye5nxGvY
    http://www.draftexpress.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs could dupe some team into taking Blair and the 59th he'd easily be the best PF option late in the first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's def the most socially awkward player in the draft. Unless Spurs traed up though they won't even have a shot at him.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He'll have to take a new number.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump since McDonald said the Spurs have scouted him heavily.

It's difficult to find an athletic big who can also knock down shots. I'd roll the dice on him with a pick in the 20s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt. I've wanted him since March. Kid has a nice feel for the game both in the post and off the pick and pop. He is one of the few PFs that can be had late in the first that I feel could contribute immediately.

Thread Information