real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danke!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a cool name. But he's an NBA SF and I doubt he's quick enough to play the position. I could be wrong, but doubt it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In recent years, draft eligible rotation players of Euroleague Final Four teams were NBA lottery picks.
    Looks like that trend will be broken.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In recent years, draft eligible rotation players of Euroleague Final Four teams were NBA lottery picks.
    Thank god the Spurs won't draft him then.

No Greeks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gimmie those names ? It wasnt Valanciounas, Vesely. Then who ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gimmie those names ? It wasnt Valanciounas, Vesely. Then who ?
    Poplinko
    Kostcko
    Kofas Kosas
    Sauces Nikolako
    Papa Jonsako
    Ian Bouriosuzuki

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vesely
    Rubio

I just am talking recent times (last 5 years).

In recent times (last 5 years) there were two European players that were rotation players on final four Euroleague teams. Vesely and Rubio.

Both were NBA lottery picks.

So in the last 5 years, the only time it ever happened that draft eligible players from Europe were rotation players on a Euroleague final four team, they were taken in the NBA lottery when they declared for the NBA draft.

This year is unique because there are 3 such players.

Vangelis Mantzaris
    Kostas Sloukas
    Kostas Papanikoloau

All three of them are European players that are draft eligible and this is their automatic draft year. All three of them are rotation players on a Euroleague final four team.
    You cant compare all these greeks to Rubio and Vesely, because theirs teams advanced to F4, and you make this criterion.

All three of them wont be even drafted. If they were talented enough, like Mirotic, they would have been drafted 2 years ago in 2nd round, and wait to being called up. They werent , cause they arent NBA players material.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has had an incredible Euroleague Final 4. He should be drafted early in the second round. The only way he would be available at #59 is if he say he doesn't want to be drafted. In that case, Spurs should take the risk and draft him.

I can see Spurs liking him and trying to move up to grab him. They have an history of being in love with these Euro long SF like Batum or Casspi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is a winner.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Givony: "The track record of Greek players in the NBA is virtually nil, and for good reason."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was impressed with him in the Euroleague Final Four. He doesn't have a high ceiling but he could probably play a role right away. Good compe or and doesn't seem to have any blatant weaknesses. Then again, it's questionable whether he has the athleticism for the small forward spot in the NBA.

At 59, he'd be a no-brainer. I wouldn't want the Spurs to trade up and draft him in the first, though. Plus, you can't really ignore the fact that Greeks all struggle to play outside of Greece for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At 59, he'd be a no-brainer. I wouldn't want the Spurs to trade up and draft him in the first, though. Plus, you can't really ignore the fact that Greeks all struggle to play outside of Greece for some reason.
    Greece can pay them more.

YOU JUST GOT THE BUISNESS SamoanTD's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is a winner.
    Tim Tebow? lol jk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greek forward Kostas Papanikolaou has appeal to several teams in the back end of the first round – including Miami (27) and Oklahoma City (28), sources say – who aren’t eager to add payroll and want to store a player overseas for another year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sy...cavaliers.html
    A couple weeks ago it looked like he could drop to the lower part of the second round. But now I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first Euro off the board. I think he's a solid prospect but a definite reach at 27 or 28.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank god the Spurs won't draft him then.

No Greeks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/05/dunks/25324

Last year in Istanbul, NBA executives were left in awe with his performances. Something that this year in London didn’t happen, but there was no need for something similar. Kostas Papanikolaou of Olympiacos, winner of this year’s “rising star award” as his team defended their le in London, has already proved that he is one of the best European players and this why many NBA teams are thinking of approaching Portland to acquire his rights.

Blazers followed him closely throughout the season, but at this point it seems that “Pap” in not on the immediate plans of Neil Olshey. Portland (besides starter Nicolas Batum) also has another talented European forward with Spaniard Victor Claver and is no need to “overload” the small forward position.

In fact Olshey didn’t travel in London, where only Blazers’ scout Jason Filipi was present. So there is a strong chance that the Blazers will trade his rights and many teams has shown interest. Spurs and Mavericks are among them, as well as the Knicks who drafted Papanikolaou on No48 of last year’s draft. Knicks GM Glen Grunwald visited London for a day, just to watch him on the semifinal against CSKA!
    I much rather have K-Pap than another washed up veteran to backup Kawhi. He has good size for the SF position and has shot incredibly well from 3 in the Euroleague this year (59.4% in the regular season and 52.4% in the playoffs while putting up about 3 attemps per game). I wonder what the Spurs could offer in a trade though.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he better than what is available at 28? Could look into a draft day trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him but Spurs should only go after him is Blazer's asking price is reasonable. If they want something like a first round pick for him, going after a player like Casspi would be the smart move. It's kinda pointless to give up something good for a player while you can get a comparable one on the free agent market without giving up assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't appear the Portland Trail Blazers will be bringing over international player Kostas Papanikolaou for the 2013-14 season, or for any Trail Blazer season for that matter.

George Sfairopoulos, the agent who represents the 6-9 small forward, says the likely scenario is Portland opting to trade Papanikolaou's rights.

“As of now, we don't have any sign that leads us to believe that Kostas will go to Portland,” Sfairopoulos told CSNNW.com. “Therefore, we believe that he will not be in the plans of the organization next season and probably will be traded.”

Papanikolaou, 22, was drafted by the New York Knicks with No. 48 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft. The The Trail Blazers acquired his rights from the Knicks in the Raymond Felton sign-and-trade last offseason.

He received the Euroleague Rising Stars Trophy for the 2012-13 season while playing for European powerhouse Olympiacos in his native Greece.

Nicolas Batum and Victor Claver are the only two small forwards on the Trail Blazers' roster with guaranteed contracts.

In 31 games last season during Euroleague play, Papanikolaou averaged 8.7 points, 4.4 rebounds, 0.7 blocks and shot 52 percent from three-point range in 23.3 minutes per game.

http://www.csnnw.com/blog/blazers-ta...s-papanikolaou

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about to be waived... Kyle Anderson insurance??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about to be waived... Kyle Anderson insurance??
    Doeant look like he hasn't been waived. Appears to be a good passer, can penetrate, and shoot the 3. Seems like the opportunistic type of move the Spurs would make if he does get waived tho

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    everyone expected Denver to waive him when they extended Gallo and Wilson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
    By waiving him before Oct. 4, Denver sheds $4.8 million owed Kostas Papanikolaou for the coming season

Guarantee date on Kostas Papanikolau's contract was fast approaching in early October but sources say Denver decided to waive him today

ESPN sources say the Denver Nuggets have waived Kostas Papanikolau

Thread Information