Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hey guys,

Im in need of a new laptop....not for gaming or multimedia....just for work and internet browsing.

I notcecd there is a wide variaty of prices. ($500-$1500).

Can someone let me know what the minimum specs are these days. I dont want to start behind the curve, but dont want to also spend a lot of money either. I just need somethign fast.

Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minimum specs these days are something that's about 1 - 2ghz and dual core. It may or may not have a dedicated graphics processor and retailers will still use IntelGMA. 1-2gb of ram, DDR2, is probably the norm now as well. At least a 150gb hard drive.

If you want to get a good gauge on minimum spec systems definitely check out the netbooks. They're cheap, reliable, and meet everything + more that you could expect from a budget laptop. They start at around $300 and go up from there. The only drawback is the small screen but that really isn't a big issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230116

Newegg is out of stock but you might be able to find it somewhere else. I have one from about two generations ago and it's amazing. Also very good battery life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I own this computer right here, runs like a champ. I got it in september. My only complaint is the volume of the speakers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Refur...emium/19500629

I got it for 449 new, but it seems that the new prices have risen which is why I linked a refurb

jthelps.wordpress.com
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    bare min -

at least i3 [ amd ]
    at least ddr3 ram
    dedicated gfx vs onboard only depends whether you play any games or not
    no standard for hdd- this only matters on yourself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bare min -

at least i3 [ amd ]
    at least ddr3 ram
    dedicated gfx vs onboard only depends whether you play any games or not
    no standard for hdd- this only matters on yourself
    lol i3 isn't bare minimum and ddr3 is still more expensive than ddr2 that' still being used.

And what is wrong with amd? They have some of the best low budget cpu's for the money that can destroy any mid priced i5 and compete with the i7's. The new socket that intel is using may change that once again but I'm fairly confident this trend will continue on.

He already said he didn't want to use it for gaming so...

While this may matter to some degree and people will want to get the most they can for their money, smaller sized hard drives will still cost less so this is still a factor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I own this computer right here, runs like a champ. I got it in september. My only complaint is the volume of the speakers.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Refur...emium/19500629

I got it for 449 new, but it seems that the new prices have risen which is why I linked a refurb
    Nice, that's almost exactly what I have so I may have the generation before it. Those are awesome little computers that are perfect for what the OP wants. I do agree that the volume on these tends to be non existent but I can live with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not minimum but its not expensive either. I just bought this, I just wanted a laptop with 17" screen and HDMI output.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Gray-...emium/19477210

I picked it up for $448 last week, they must have just raised the price. Completely happy so far. i5, 640gb, 17", 4gb ram, webcam.. etc.

The only bad is that it has an integral graphics card, if you buy the AMD processor version for $500, its external and upgradeable. It was $50 more than the intel version and I dont game on computers anymore so it wasnt a problem for me. Yeah its an Acer, but I've never had problems with previous Acer stuff and it comes with a warranty, meh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Asus and don't look back. Anything in the $500-700 range should suit you fine. If you want ultraportable you could probably drop $800 and get a laptop with 12+ hours of battery life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of the new models also have discount coupons if you look around...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Bought this in summer of 2009:

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-U80V-B2-Li.../dp/B002U0KF0I

My second ASUS laptop. Considering I work it for surfing, typing and multimedia, it still performs like a champ.

jthelps.wordpress.com
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol i3 isn't bare minimum and ddr3 is still more expensive than ddr2 that' still being used.

And what is wrong with amd? They have some of the best low budget cpu's for the money that can destroy any mid priced i5 and compete with the i7's. The new socket that intel is using may change that once again but I'm fairly confident this trend will continue on.

While this may matter to some degree and people will want to get the most they can for their money, smaller sized hard drives will still cost less so this is still a factor.

not sure if sers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like laptop specs really haven't changed much in the past year and a half since I got mine. I have a 2.4ghz first gen I5, 4gb of ddr3, and 500gb HDD. I got it for 600 bucks when I bought it.

I am likely going to try to get an ultrabook later this year. This thing is a great laptop, but its nearly 7lbs with the 12 cell battery I have on it. I want something much lighter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and @ getting anything but an intel chip in a new laptop. AMD runs so god damn hot its not funny. I was a huge fan of theirs for a long time but I would not buy anything new below an I5.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Asus and don't look back. Anything in the $500-700 range should suit you fine. If you want ultraportable you could probably drop $800 and get a laptop with 12+ hours of battery life.
    agree with the ASUS, though I never sought out Asus as a brand, I suddenly realize that most of my recent purchases and purchase recommendations have been Asus. and they are all doing fine just fine.

if you're not going to "game" or the like, then any i3 Asus should do, if you've got time, seek out a good deal, shouldn't have to pay any more than $350 for an i3 Asus Lappy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and @ getting anything but an intel chip in a new laptop. AMD runs so god damn hot its not funny. I was a huge fan of theirs for a long time but I would not buy anything new below an I5.
    even with some of the new i5 are nothing special man, just 100mhz min-max over the previous model....

first gen i7 are still great, but the video cards sucks...2nd gen i7 still out of price

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My brother had 3 AMD processors take a on him and 0 umpteen intels.

Scoreboard: intel

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even with some of the new i5 are nothing special man, just 100mhz min-max over the previous model....

first gen i7 are still great, but the video cards sucks...2nd gen i7 still out of price
    uhh the i5 2500k is still beast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uhh the i5 2500k is still beast.
    we talkin about laptop cpus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wow. Are you serious? Do a little research. Clock speeds hardly matter anymore. The new i5s absolutely throttle AMD's best offering. They aren't even in the same league of performance, desktop or laptop.

at judging a processor by it's clock. Those days haven't been around for 3+ years.

jthelps.wordpress.com
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

amd

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    thanks guys. i do like Asus..i have the eeepad transformer and love it.

looks ill be checking into asus with an i5.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What do you guys think of this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...ustomerreviews

Its only a i3, but its in my price range. This laptop is for my wife and she really needs it for just emails and Microsoft Office.

is i3 suffice?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Are you serious? Do a little research. Clock speeds hardly matter anymore. The new i5s absolutely throttle AMD's best offering. They aren't even in the same league of performance, desktop or laptop.

at judging a processor by it's clock. Those days haven't been around for 3+ years.
    who buys amd these day?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Asus is just fine for what you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure if sers?

Thread Information