New York Giants
    Post Count
    LOL!

Damn it's easy being a Giants fan

https://twitter.com/#!/espn_nfceast

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Here's why:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-salary-cap/

Basically the front loaded during the uncapped year and the NFL is giving them the business for it.

My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    You guys want some answers on this deal where the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins are losing millions in cap space for spending as much as they wanted in an uncapped year. I'm here for you. I have spoken to a couple of sources close to the situation, and this is what I have learned:

Q: What exactly did they do?

A: During the uncapped 2010 season, teams were repeatedly warned by the league not to structure contracts so that big money was assigned to 2010 in order to attain future-years cap relief. They were told there would be penalties if they did this. The Cowboys and the Redskins, to a greater extent than the league's other 30 teams, ignored these warnings and engaged in such behavior anyway. Miles Austin's contract with the Cowboys, which included a $17 million base salary in 2010, is being brought up as the prime example.

Q: How did they get caught?

A: The complaints against the Cowboys and the Redskins for engaging in perfectly legal behavior that violated no actual rules but only the collusive backroom dictates being issued by the league came not from the league office but from the other 30 teams, who were doing what they were told while the Cowboys and the Redskins were not. The other teams demanded action, since they were the good soldiers, and so the league decided it needed to take some.

Q: Why isn't the union challenging this?

A: While this behavior seems to fit the very dictionary definition of collusion, as multiple teams were engaged in discussions to limit the earning potential of their employees and prospective employees, do not expect it to be challenged in court. The decision today, in which the Redskins were docked $36 million in cap space and the Cowboys $10 million, is the result of a settlement between the NFL and the NFLPA. One reason the union has no problem with it is that the money lost to the Cowboys and Redskins is not taken out of the overall 2012 spending pool — each of 28 other teams gets $1.6 million extra in cap room, so there's no net loss league-wide. Another reason the union won't push on it is because they agreed, as part of the settlement of last year's Brady vs. NFL federal lawsuit, to drop all pending legal action against the league. That included their claims that the league engaged in collusion in 2010.

Q: Why is this happening now, the day before free agency?

A: The answer to that lies in the reason it took so long for the league to establish and announce this year's salary cap. The union must sign off on the cap before it is approved, and it obviously took issue initially with the idea of punishing teams for spending money in an uncapped year. But the league was toying with the idea of lowering this year's salary cap, and used this issue as a bargaining chip with the union. Basically, if the union agreed to the punishment for the Redskins and Cowboys, the cap would be $120.6 million, as it is now. But if they refused, the league was prepared to make the cap lower. I don't know by how much, but say for the sake of argument they wanted to drop it to $116 million per team. That'd have been a total of $128 million when spread across 32 teams — a significant loss to the players if they agreed to it.

More to come on this, of course, but that should help answer some of your questions for now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...skins-cap-mess

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    lol Jerry Jones

My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    There goes all that talk about Mario going to the Cowboys LOL

Damn this is great, can you imagine being a Skins fan? I would have to stop watching football altogether. That team is a mess.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    well that sucks. they just franchised spencer for 8.8 mil too lol damn. Jerry needs to just suck it up and cut sorry ass newman to get some of that 10 mil back.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    well that sucks. they just franchised spencer for 8.8 mil too lol damn. Jerry needs to just suck it up and cut sorry ass newman to get some of that 10 mil back.
    Jerry needs to cut himself cause he aint worth the

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Damn this is great, can you imagine being a Skins fan? I would have to stop watching football altogether. That team is a mess.
    lol MannyIsGod

Heat/Phillies/NY Giants TIMMYtoZO's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    There goes all that talk about Mario going to the Cowboys LOL

But the skins are going to have RG3. That fixes everything.

Once again, this shows why the NY Giants are a model franchise and that they have the best front office in football.

As for Dallas, I guess they will keep that tag on that piece of Anthony Spencer.

Post Count
    This is such a joke and total BS. If I was Jones and Snyder I want take the NFL to court for this .

lol n!ggerbear
    lol redskinfan

Heat/Phillies/NY Giants TIMMYtoZO's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    This is such a joke and total BS. If I was Jones and Snyder I want take the NFL to court for this .

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    If they were warned for this, I see no reason for them to complain. Maybe the it's harsh, but they were warned.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Penalty might not kill Cowboys' plans
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- The NFL’s decision to dock the Cowboys $10 million in salary-cap space, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported, wounds the team’s ability to improve in free agency but does not kill it.

ESPNDallas.com's Todd Archer explains how the Cowboys violated a rule that did not exist during an uncapped year.

Listen The Cowboys can spread that hit over the next two years if they choose but they were already planning on re-working a number of contracts to create enough salary-cap space anyway.

The Cowboys have triggers in the contracts of cornerback Orlando Scandrick and tackle Doug Free that would save them roughly $8.6 million in cap space. Re-working the contracts of DeMarcus Ware and Dez Bryant could net about another $4 million in space.

The Cowboys can create as much as $7.26 million in room on Tuesday by cutting cornerback Terence Newman (designated as a post-June 1 cut) and kicker David Buehler, who is scheduled to count more than $1.6 million against the 2012 cap and lost his job to Dan Bailey last year.

On Sunday the league announced the 2012 cap would be $120.6 million.

The Cowboys were carrying a credit of around $17.1 million over from 2011, which would have in effect made their cap $138.2 million in 2012. If the Cowboys chose to take a $5 million hit in each of the next two years because of the sanctions, then they would have a cap of roughly $133.2 million this year.

With the $8.856 million franchise tag on linebacker Anthony Spencer, the Cowboys would be just below that threshold and that would not including the tenders offers they would put on restricted free agent fullback Tony Fiammetta and exclusive rights free agents Jesse Holley, Clifton Geathers and Jermey Parnell.

Make the aforementioned contract and roster moves, and the Cowboys would have about $15 million to $17 million in cap room, which is plenty to sign a starting cornerback, guard, backup quarterback and Laurent Robinson depending on the structures of the deals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-cowboys-plans

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    exactly boys can take the majority of the hit next season not this one.Which isnt a death sentence

Crowned
    Post Count
    A lot of these things don't pass the smell test.

1) If it was an "uncapped year" how are they penalizing teams for using it just like that? You can't add cap rules to an uncapped year.

2) All contracts have to be approved by the league before being finalized. If they were using "illegal" contracts, why did the league approve them?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

1) If it was an "uncapped year" how are they penalizing teams for using it just like that? You can't add cap rules to an uncapped year.

2) All contracts have to be approved by the league before being finalized. If they were using "illegal" contracts, why did the league approve them?
    Two very good questions that should get some answers, tbh...but they won't.

Crowned
    Post Count
    Two very good questions that should get some answers, tbh...but they won't.
    One other question - what about teams that violated the salary floor and paid less than that?

Post Count
    Damn it's easy being a Giants fan
    not as easy to be a knick fan I guess huh?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    aaaand just like that Newman gets cut lmaooooo

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    exactly the cowboys supposedly broke a rule that wasnt even in place

Post Count

Agreed. Other teams did the same but they aren't being punished. Just like with the bounties.

This is just another case of Roger and the NFL being the big bully.

My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    Wouldn't know, I'm a Spurs fan.

Thread Information