Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DarrinS thinks the voter I.D. law is entirely motivated by those noble Republicans that are always looking out for the people. lololol

It's a game. They are cutting away as many votes from the other side as they can, however they can.

I don't really understand why, as they all have the same ty goals, but it's clearly a game-playing move. They aren't trying to stop "voter fraud".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WI's law affected 150K - 300K voters without Repug voter-suppression credentials.

Kock-sucker, Kock-enstein Walker won by only 124k votes.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WI's law affected 150K - 300K voters without Repug voter-suppression credentials.

Kock-sucker, Kock-enstein Walker won by only 124k votes.
    lol and there ya go.

Game-playing.

"But what about all the illegal voters that we stopped???" lol

And the Fox s and Kochheads eat this bull up like gravy. lol Americans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DarrinS thinks the voter I.D. law is entirely motivated by those noble Republicans that are always looking out for the people. lololol

It's a game. They are cutting away as many votes from the other side as they can, however they can.

I don't really understand why, as they all have the same ty goals, but it's clearly a game-playing move. They aren't trying to stop "voter fraud".

As a "strategy" to block minorities from voting, it is a total failure, as I've already pointed out. If we are going to have voting eligibility requirements and don't check them, what's the point of having the requirements?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a "strategy" to block minorities from voting, it is a total failure, as I've already pointed out. If we are going to have voting eligibility requirements and don't check them, what's the point of having the requirements?
    not a failure, you've pointed out nothing except one article. What about the other red states that have, enabled by extreme right wing activist SCOTUS5, suppressed voting?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is Darrin's positive argument for voter ID laws?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this link says Geogie offers free voter ID. Do we just assume the same about Texas?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even in the states offering free ID, establishing your iden y to get it can require money and time. for elderly folks, the poor and the mobility impaired, that can be a tough hurdle to cross.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is Darrin's positive argument for voter ID laws?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The founders didn't need state issued ID, nor did they insist it was needed for anything.

Considering only white male property owners 21 or older could vote they pretty much didn't need ID's to vote.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Considering only white male property owners 21 or older could vote they pretty much didn't need ID's to vote.
    yep, the Repugs bull now is "we need to preserve the sanc y of the vote" (... for white men).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conservative Icon Federal Judge Sees the Light—Writes Amazing Dissent on Voter ID Laws

It is a dissent, released on Friday, written by Judge Richard Posner, the Reagan-appointed 7th Circuit Court of Appeals judge who was the one who approved the first such Photo ID law in the country (Indiana's) back in 2008, in the landmark Crawford v. Marion County case which went all the way to the Supreme Court, where Posner's ruling was affirmed.

If there was ever evidence that a jurist could change their mind upon review of additional subsequent evidence, this is it. If there was ever a concise and airtight case made against Photo ID laws and the threat they pose to our most basic right to vote, this is it. If there was ever a treatise revealing such laws for the blatantly partisan s games that they are, this is it.

His dissent includes a devastating response to virtually every false and/or disingenuous rightwing argument/talking point ever put forth in support of Photo ID voting restrictions, describing them as "a mere fig leaf for efforts to disenfranchise voters likely to vote for the political party that does not control the state government."

Posner is, by far, the most widely cited legal scholar of the 20th century, according toThe Journal of Legal Studies. His opinions are closely read by the Supreme Court, where the battle over the legality and Cons utionality of Photo ID voting laws will almost certainly wind up at some point in the not too distant future. That's just one of the reasons why this opinion is so important.

This opinion, written on behalf of five judges on the 7th Circuit, thoroughly disabuses such notions such as:

these laws are meant to deal with a phantom voter fraud concern ("Out of 146 million registered voters, this is a ratio of one case of voter fraud for every 14.6 million eligible voters");

that evidence shows them to be little more than baldly partisan attempts to keep Democratic voters from voting ("conservative states try to make it difficult for people who are outside the mainstream...to vote");

that rightwing partisan outfits like True the Vote, which support such laws, present "evidence" of impersonation fraud that is "downright goofy, if not paranoid";

and the notion that even though there is virtually zero fraud that could even possibly be deterred by Photo ID restrictions,

the fact that the public thinks there is, is a lousy reason to disenfranchise voters since there is no evidence that such laws actually increase public confidence in elections and, as new studies now reveal,
    such laws have indeed served to suppress turnout in states where they have been enacted.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...ter1022995&t=5

Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judge Posner ruled for voter ID law in Marion v. Crawford, but appears to have reversed his views:

http://bradblog.com/Docs/JudgePosner..._WI_101014.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

that makes zero sense, CC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that makes zero sense, CC
    I suspect there are some who would prefer the exclusivity of the franchise returned to the landed elite (though I don't suspect this of CC, to be clear) -- for the certainty of voters doing "the right thing" reliably. I think CC's point is tha when the electorate is that limited, there's no need for identification at voting places, since most unqualified voters would be readily identifiable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And good news for those who want to keep the riff-raff away from Texas voting places (or who are concerned with literally tens of cases of alleged voter fraud), the 5th Circuit has placated the conservative base yet again by reinstating the law.

Yay!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And good news for those who want to keep the riff-raff away from Texas voting places (or who are concerned with literally tens of cases of alleged voter fraud), the 5th Circuit has placated the conservative base yet again by reinstating the law.

Yay!
    no surprise. 5th is well known to be packed with extreme Repug conservatives, esp junk like Priscilla Owen, same junk level as Harriet Miers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whoa!

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has blocked Texas from enforcing key parts of a 2013 law that would close all but eight of the state's abortion facilities.

The justices largely granted the request of abortion providers Tuesday
    . With three dissenting votes, the court suspended a ruling by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that allowed Texas to enforce a rule making abortion clinics statewide spend millions of dollars on hospital-level upgrades.

huff post

ha ha, TX Repugs/Christian Taliban ed hard and deep!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the abortion ruling does nothing to TX Repug's political monopoly, while the voter ID ruling strengthens it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect there are some who would prefer the exclusivity of the franchise returned to the landed elite (though I don't suspect this of CC, to be clear) -- for the certainty of voters doing "the right thing" reliably. I think CC's point is tha when the electorate is that limited, there's no need for identification at voting places, since most unqualified voters would be readily identifiable.
    the 19th century practice of cramming -- a form of voter fraud that consisted of having one person vote multiply by changing his clothes all day long on election day, hitting as many polling stations as possible, over and over again -- speaks otherwise, but, sure, I can see that.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 10-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    according to legend and lore, cramming might have been the end of Edgar Allan Poe. he was found passed out in public, in clothes visibly not his own, in Baltimore, MD, four days before he died.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 10-15-2014 at 10:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 19th century of cramming -- a form of voter fraud that consisted of having one person vote multiply by changing his clothes all day long on election day, hitting as many polling stations as possible, over and over again -- speaks otherwise, but, sure, I can see that.
    If it's the "right" same person, this is not a problem.

My sense is that the only voter fraud we're concerned with is the kind that involves too many of the wrong people voting.

I've been accused of cynicism before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just guessing, glossing voter ID law as a poll tax involves a modi of interpretation, but I totally agree about poll taxes being a no-no, SR.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.votescam.org/the_evidence

All y'all Repug vote suppressors let us know when Repugs are ENRAGED by vote counting fraud destroying their adored sanc y of the vote.

I think that will be about the same time when Repugs attack MEN for impregnating women for fun or rape sex as aggressively as they attack women for being impregnated for fun or rape sex.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-15-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Thread Information