Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a bad feeling about this trade...

I don't understand why so many of you, even some of the "best" posters on ST are blinded by the memory of "2003 SJax".
    The guy is 34, is a volume scorer, and at that time Manu and Tony took a lot less shot/game...

Do you see him becoming a role player and being able, at 34 years old, to play an elite D?

I hope I'll be surprised/wrong, but I really think it's a desperate move to get rid of RJ's player option, since their salaries match and a "gift" to the SA fans who hated RJ and were nostalgic of SJax...

+ WE NEED A BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're missing the point on this: Jack may never become anything, which makes him about the same as RJ has been since he's been a Spur. There's simply not a downside to getting rid of RJ, even if it's for nothing.

Bonus: Jack is an expiring contract next year, before Duncan retires, which adds to the value. Their numbers are relatively equal. The intangible is what gives him value. Jack's the kind of guy who runs towards the fire, RJ is the kind of guy who runs away from it. Who do you want on your team in the playoffs?

Yes, the Spurs still need a big. Yes, the Spurs still need a point guard. That wasn't going to change one way or another. What the Spurs just did was give themselves some cap flexibility next year and potentially improved the team drastically this year. Not bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't understand why so many of you, even some of the "best" posters on ST are blinded by the memory of "2003 SJax".
    The guy is 34, is a volume scorer, and at that time Manu and Tony took a lot less shot/game...

Do you see him becoming a role player and being able, at 34 years old, to play an elite D?

I hope I'll be surprised/wrong, but I really think it's a desperate move to get rid of RJ's player option, since their salaries match and a "gift" to the SA fans who hated RJ and were nostalgic of SJax...

I agree with you that in some area's the spurs will not get better. You are 100% correct when you say this trade was to get rid of RJ and that option year. This trade have everything to do with $ while losing very little in the way of a competative team on the floor. We have needed a big all year and the spurs have done very well during this time, But I do feel the spurs will add 1 more piece before its all said and done

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how productive this trade was. They give up a cripple but still didn't address any needs like a backup pg and/or big man. On top of that, they gave up a 1st round draft pick in a strong upcoming draft.

This is S-Jax at 33, not 20.

by the time we would have picked all of that talent would have been gone.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs ever trade for good players younger than 30?

They always go for the almost washed up types.

Getting rid of Jefferson was a good move, but just too much excitement for a chucker nearing past his prime years. And still no upgrade on the frontline which is the teams biggest need and achilles heel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu Ginobili ‏ @manuginobili

The good news is that is great to have SJackson back with us! Great memories from my rookie season. Welcome back Jack!!
    Nice. My favorite press conference ever was Manu and SJax at the podium after the 2003 champion.

Please tell me that's on YouTube . . .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's espn insider's take?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    S-Jax thread!! I couldn't be any happier. Coincidentally, yesterday they were broadcasting game 1 2003 finals. @Timvp I expect a full analysis on how this coupled with other factors affect the stretch run. A preview kind-of post of what to expect of this second half would be nice. Cheers for a great trade deadline.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because its as much of a financial move as it is a personnel move. If SJax ends up doing as bad as RJ we still clear a ton of cap room for the 2013 project.

Sjax is also an above average play maker - something this team desperately needs. As much as we need a big, I would say having another playmaker is extremely important as well.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying the Spurs need a big or a point guard misses the fact that RJ wasn't movable in any trade other than this one. It's not like the Spurs were offered a variety of players and decided to take SJax. This was literally their only opportunity to move RJ.

So it comes down to whether you want RJ and a late first rounder or you want SJax, $12 million and a soon to be expiring contract.
    Good trade overall but just too much excitement over a deal that really doesn't make the Spurs all that much better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does Jax or Leonard start? Even if jax amounts to nothing we gain something in giving rjs time to Leonard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking RJ`s 30 mil wasnt big deal ? Or it should be one.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    You're missing the point on this: Jack may never become anything, which makes him about the same as RJ has been since he's been a Spur. There's simply not a downside to getting rid of RJ, even if it's for nothing.

Bonus: Jack is an expiring contract next year, before Duncan retires, which adds to the value. Their numbers are relatively equal. The intangible is what gives him value. Jack's the kind of guy who runs towards the fire, RJ is the kind of guy who runs away from it. Who do you want on your team in the playoffs?

Yes, the Spurs still need a big. Yes, the Spurs still need a point guard. That wasn't going to change one way or another. What the Spurs just did was give themselves some cap flexibility next year and potentially improved the team drastically this year. Not bad.
    And amnesting Rj gives them a lot more money to play with next year. That's waisting a year of Duncan's career. I fail to see how this moves makes the Spurs better.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs ever trade for good players younger than 30?

They always go for the almost washed up types.

Getting rid of Jefferson was a good move, but just too much excitement for a chucker nearing past his prime years. And still no upgrade on the frontline which is the teams biggest need and achilles heel.
    rascal with the "forever unhappy" goods, per usual, fwiw, tbh, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happy for RJ to hang often in the Castro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my biggest concern: we always hear of players needing a year getting used to our system. we dont have that year with Jax!

RJ offensively may have been a pure spotupshooter (with that backdoor alley hoop play with the screen at the elbow), but he seemed to finaly get it. Defensively I just dont know.

So timvp? Do you think Jax can use some of the stuff he learned nearly a decade ago, for getting used to it faster now? Or did everything change anyway?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How old is Kobe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at least jax wont have this happen to him anymore:

Sean Elliott is hilarious!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And amnesting Rj gives them a lot more money to play with next year. That's waisting a year of Duncan's career. I fail to see how this moves makes the Spurs better.
    And you thought Jefferson wouldn't be traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you still cannot see the benfit of this trade after all these posts its pretty much impossible you ever will...

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    not sure, if the Spurs see the backup PG as such a big problem: Manu can handle it the few minutes TP is off the court and if one of them goes down, our season is over anyway. Neal did well most games and Joseph at least can handle some garbage time.

not sure, if the Spurs see the big man as a problem either: With all 4 Big Man healthy we seem to be fine...Bonner stretching, Blair banging, Splitter and Timmy ballin' and then there is the love of going small (I hate it too) with Leonard or now maybe Jax.

...I think, they will take a look at some buyouts, but after all without signing one, they didnt allready play this season.

my best hope is Diaw because of him beeing friends with Tony, but we shouldnt get our hopes up just hours after the Spurs did their biggest in season move since....since....???

They may not be concerned with a backup pg, but I would hkp they're concerned about another big and they put a lot of emphasis on Diaw now more than ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow... super busy at work today and come back home to read all this!!!!! wow

Welcome back Jack!!!!!

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow... super busy at work today and come back home to read all this!!!!! wow

Welcome back Jack!!!!!
    It gets better...there's actually people who don't like the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice. My favorite press conference ever was Manu and SJax at the podium after the 2003 champion.

Please tell me that's on YouTube . . .
    I looked. I remember it well. Talking how him and Manu are the same, coming from overseas (he mentioned playing in Venezuela I think) and that they're hungry... great conference. I might have it saved on a DVD somewhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a way, Spurs can handle the back up point guard problem by committee. Both Ginoboli and Jackson can handle the ball and Neal is decent. That said, if Tony got injured, we'd be screwed, but that's probably true even if we got a solid back up point guard.

Thread Information