Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It gets better...there's actually people who don't like the trade.
    What? RJ. Can't believe somebody took that albatross of a contract.

lol GSW
    lol Mark Jackson
    lol hand down, man down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying the Spurs need a big or a point guard misses the fact that RJ wasn't movable in any trade other than this one. It's not like the Spurs were offered a variety of players and decided to take SJax. This was literally their only opportunity to move RJ.

So it comes down to whether you want RJ and a late first rounder or you want SJax, $12 million and a soon to be expiring contract.
    THANK ING YOU! I have been reading this thread waiting for someone to say it. I just wanted to get to the end and make sure that no one had before I posted it.

Its not like Orlando was offering us Dwight Howard for RJ and then we said "hold on the other phone is ringing.... o? Oh hey golden state.... who?...." "Oh Orlando, I am going to have to call you back, I really gotta take this call"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a steal for the Spurs to dump RJ and get Jackson. Nowhere near the player he was but still prefer him to RJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Manu, Jack will be making his debut next wednesday

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Jackson is healthy and if so I really like this trade.

The fact that we lost the ability to amnesty Rj doesn't bother me too much because I think there was a possibility that the Spurs weren't going to. Were the Spurs really going to payoff Rj to overpay a free agent to come to SA? Dallas and other teams would have had dibs on big name free agents. Leaving Spurs someone to overpay someone for a long-term contract.

Overall this trade stopped a possibility of Rj playing more seasons for the Spurs. Also prevent all the pain I would had witnessed from Spurs fans on this board as they came to the realization that Rj wouldn't be amnestied.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    And you thought Jefferson wouldn't be traded.
    Nope. But I'm not really convinced this trade makes the Spurs better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at it this way: Even if Jax never plays, are the Spurs really that worse off?
    Of course not, and I just read Buck Harvey article (I should have start by that before posting) and I finaly agree, wort case scenario, Spurs save 10M$...

I'm just not really sold on re-writing history, players or coaches who come back where they had succes rarely do it again.

We'll see

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Manu, Jack will be making his debut next wednesday
    I'm so glad I bought tickets to that game...originally it was just for the Bowen jersey retirement but hearing the ovation for Capt Jack in person will be AWESOME!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THANK ING YOU! I have been reading this thread waiting for someone to say it. I just wanted to get to the end and make sure that no one had before I posted it.

Its not like Orlando was offering us Dwight Howard for RJ and then we said "hold on the other phone is ringing.... o? Oh hey golden state.... who?...." "Oh Orlando, I am going to have to call you back, I really gotta take this call"
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While the idea of Mark Jackson coaching Stephen Jackson sounds pretty damn entertaining, its pretty remarkable that RJ got moved for a tougher player with a better contract. It does suck giving up a first rounder but there will be all sorts of free agents and trade opportunities anyway

Every team needs a crazy guy and Stephen Jackson has the talent to back it up, hopefully its more consistent with the silver and black. RJ was just too soft although he did improve his 3 point shooting greatly

Stephen Jackson's also going to love Parker's new nightclub or whatever btw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Pop benched RJ in that series-clinching Game 6 versus the Grizzlies last spring, it was obvious the romance was over. Let's also recall how feverishly the Spurs FO worked to try and get RJ traded prior to the start of the season - and that was before all the presumed amnesty chatter.

This was a move that HAD to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Pop benched RJ in that series-clinching Game 6 versus the Grizzlies last spring, it was obvious the romance was over. Let's also recall how feverishly the Spurs FO worked to try and get RJ traded prior to the start of the season - and that was before all the presumed amnesty chatter.

This was a move that HAD to happen.
    True that.

Imo it almost felt like Coach Pop and the rest of the coaching staff wanted to bench RJ all along because of RJ's uninspired play, but the Spurs had to play RJ starting minutes otherwise he'd be untradeable

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. But I'm not really convinced this trade makes the Spurs better.
    timvp also did not believe the trade would make the team better before the trade happened.
    Just read it in another thread.

So there are others that also believe it.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good trade because they get rid of RJ who was never going to be good with the Spurs and saves the team $ but it does not make the team much better on the court like the excitement I am seeing from some in here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp also did not believe the trade would make the team better before the trade happened.
    Just read it in another thread.

So there are others that also believe it.
    The thing is though that the trade doesn't have to make the Spurs better to be a successful trade. Moving RJ out of the way and saving $12 million makes it a success no matter what happens.

Good trade because they get rid of RJ who was never going to be good with the Spurs and saves the team $ but it does not make the team much better on the court like the excitement I am seeing from some in here.
    I'd be excited about trading RJ for a bag of rocks even though RJ is probably better at basketball than a bag of rocks.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is not the point that they were not going to get a big for RJ. The point is the Spurs still have a thin weak frontline and adding Jackson does not fix that.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think timvp thought the trade had a chance of happening because Milwaukee had no reason to agree to it.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd be excited about trading RJ for a bag of rocks even though RJ is probably better at basketball than a bag of rocks.
    Disagree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earvin Magic Johnson ‏ @MagicJohnson

@NBA trade deadline winners: @Lakers, Spurs, Pacers & Clippers.
    Retweeted by Richard Oliver

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the Spurs shipped TJ Ford's contract in the deal too. http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/war...jefferson.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm one of the people that don't believe it'll make the Spurs much better, but I'm still very excited about it..

These aren't two exclusive opinions/feelings..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you smartass know it all as who said RJ was unable to be moved and we were stuck with him. In one of my trades you guys mocked was an RJ for Jackson switch and all you dumb pricks laughed. Yep one of my dumb trade scenarios turned out to actually happen. Suck on that you know it all as.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How soon some forget. The Spurs were actually talking about getting rid of Parker just to get rid of RJ. Now we got rid of him for a number one pick and got a clutch payer back with one year less on his contract. It's not like we've been all that with number one picks in the back of the draft anyway. All in all a pretty good day.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    If you still cannot see the benfit of this trade after all these posts its pretty much impossible you ever will...
    Well, yavof*ck, I'm not about to revisit 27 pages of comments just because your too lazy to mention it again. How I see it is Stephen Jackson will be making 10.06 million next year, T.J Ford is off the books, and the Spurs lose a draft pick in a strong draft.

I don't give a flying if another team played RJ while the Spurs payed for him because its not counting against the cap next year.

They still have Leonard and I would have rather seen him start while getting a backup SF to come off the bench.

This move has nothing to do with winning but then again, I'm sure S-Jax was the "only" case scenario.

And losing a draft pick in a strong upcoming draft is costly for a team who's closer to rebuilding than reloading.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 03-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    The thing is though that the trade doesn't have to make the Spurs better to be a successful trade. Moving RJ out of the way and saving $12 million makes it a success.
    Excuse me Timvp, where is the 12 million savings coming from??

Thread Information