Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or, they could pay and keep Splitter.
    Splitter is not enough. The Spurs need to replace Bonner/Blair.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wish we could have traded places for our second rounder...OH well... Maybe we can trade Anderson for a high second round pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it'd be crazy if by 2015 we completely fell off and owned the #1 pick to a franchise big man only to send it to Golden State..of course i'm sure there will be spurs fans talking about how dumb we were to give away an unprotected pick for stephen jackson...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Financially a good deal for the Spurs. Jax is an obvious upgrade over Jefferson talent wise. What I'm worried about is his injuries. Out for a month this year and he had trouble staying healthy last year. Also worried about team chemistry. 2012 Spurs are different then the 2003 Spurs. Tony was inconsistent, Manu was a rookie. Jax needs to understand he's the 4th scoring option on this team now. No chucker mode.

Also don't like giving up a 2012 first round pick. I wish we threw in Anderson and a 2nd round pick instead.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...ory?id=7693146

Trade deadline winners, losers
    Good news for Jefferson, Wallace, Sessions, Batum; bad news for Camby, Foye
    Updated: March 15, 2012, 9:16 PM ET
    By John Cregan | Special to ESPN.com

Big Winners
    Stephen Jackson, SG/SF, San Antonio Spurs: I get all misty-eyed even typing this: Jackson continues his trip down Teams-I-Talked-My-Way-Out-Of-Town-With Lane, landing ultimately on his second NBA squad. With Jackson, the key is his mental well-being, which is why I love this deal for him and his owners. Why? Because he'll be content on a winning veteran club in dire need of some 20-ppg scoring punch, and he'll be playing for a coach who can handle his ups and downs.

Jackson is an underrated fantasy player because of his bad rep and streakiness, but I get the feeling he's about to be on the upswing.
    Another terrible take by ESPN. Spurs are in dire need of a 20 PPG player? Seriously?

Nobody expects Stephen Jackson to score 20/game. We weren't in "dire need" of extra offense on this club. I'm surprised that ESPN doesn't recognize the Spurs as one of the better offensive (team offense) clubs in the league.

I expect Kawhi's minutes to increase, and anything SJax adds (on offense especially) is a bonus.

You could reasonably argue that Stephen Jackson is somewhat of a downgrade to R.J. right now, but it doesn't matter. R.J.'s role as a spot up 3 point shooter can be easily imitated by the likes of Kawhi Leonard (and Kawhi brings a host of extra goodies on offense and mostly defense), and we've dumped R.J.'s venomous player option

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jax is an obvious upgrade over Jefferson talent wise. What I'm worried about is his injuries.
    Yeah, I think a lot of his injuries were "injuries" instead of actual injuries if you get what I'm saying. Dude didn't want to play for the crap teams he was sent to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/ba...ory?id=7693146

Trade deadline winners, losers
    Good news for Jefferson, Wallace, Sessions, Batum; bad news for Camby, Foye
    Updated: March 15, 2012, 9:16 PM ET
    By John Cregan | Special to ESPN.com

Big Winners
    Stephen Jackson, SG/SF, San Antonio Spurs: I get all misty-eyed even typing this: Jackson continues his trip down Teams-I-Talked-My-Way-Out-Of-Town-With Lane, landing ultimately on his second NBA squad. With Jackson, the key is his mental well-being, which is why I love this deal for him and his owners. Why? Because he'll be content on a winning veteran club in dire need of some 20-ppg scoring punch, and he'll be playing for a coach who can handle his ups and downs.

Jackson is an underrated fantasy player because of his bad rep and streakiness, but I get the feeling he's about to be on the upswing.
    The guy has no clue what he's talking about. RJ's not starting in GS with Dorrell Wright. The Spurs just scored 120 the other night. Their not in dire need of 20ppg.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it'd be crazy if by 2015 we completely fell off and owned the #1 pick to a franchise big man only to send it to Golden State..of course i'm sure there will be spurs fans talking about how dumb we were to give away an unprotected pick for stephen jackson...
    It would have been nice to give them J. Anderson.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Details of the protection on the first round pick Spurs send:
    http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed
    2012: top 14 protected
    2013: top 14 protected
    2014: top 14 protected
    2015: unprotected
    Damn, they may get the Spurs' 2015 #1 pick ! ! !

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Splitter is not enough. The Spurs need to replace Bonner/Blair.
    Keeping him was an open question with three other big contracts and either Jack or other money taken back on the books. That question had been answered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson ‏ @DaTrillStak5

Feels good to breathe this Texas air. Glad to be home.

9:18 PM

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels good to breathe this Texas air
    Always. Welcome home, Cap'n Jack!

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, if between now and until Jax's contract runs out they decide to trade Jax for players with longer term deals, then that will be that.
    If the Spurs are smart, they'll keep assuring him of an extension up to the day next March when they include him in a four team megatrade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stephen Jackson ‏ @DaTrillStak5

Feels good to breathe this Texas air. Glad to be home.

9:18 PM
    He's here! Awesome! I just got back from SA (went to yesterday's Spurs-Magic game) and was on my way to lunch when I got on ST on my phone and saw the Jax-RJ trade. SJax was my favorite Spur back in 03' after TD of course, this is like a dream!

Truth, justice, and the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is how is Jax's health? I see he's got a hamstring injury. If he's healthy this trade is a steal.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Was hoping he'd play this weekend but makes sense to have his debut on Wednesday. Happy to hear he's ready to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing news! It's about time we dumped Jefferson's ass! Incredibly inconsistent player, especially come play-off time. I'll take Jackson any day over RJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy has no clue what he's talking about. RJ's not starting in GS with Dorrell Wright. The Spurs just scored 120 the other night. Their not in dire need of 20ppg.
    Glenn Robinson was a 20ppg guy who didn't score 20ppg with the Spurs. What he did do is hit buckets when the Spurs were having trouble getting a basket. A guy who can score can score when you really need it. That's a big plus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too many hopes putting on jax tbh... it seems a lot of people didn't see him play in a long time...

It's an upgrade compared to RJ but Jax is no more 2003 jax

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

glad to be back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too many hopes putting on jax tbh... it seems a lot of people didn't see him play in a long time...

It's an upgrade compared to RJ but Jax is no more 2003 jax
    I think people are underestimating what Jax can do for the Spurs. One of the hardest things to do is evaluate somewhat older players on bad teams. It's really hard to tell a player that is done physically from one that is unmotivated.

He doesn't address the biggest need (help upfront), but he changes the culture and adds a much needed dimension to the starting line up (I'm of the opinion you start Jax immediately). He's also part of the puzzle assuming Boris gets bought out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I admit it's been two months since I saw him drop 34 on the Spurs. It seems a lot of people have been looking at his stats on NBA.COM instead of noticing what he did before his at ude soured.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another positive from the trade: Spurs increase their quota on arm sleeves, wrist/arm bands, and headbands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the Spurs amnestied RJ, they still had to pay him the money due (it just wouldn't have counted against the cap). After this year, Jackson is due $10 million, while RJ is due $21.1 million.

That's a $11.1 million savings for a late first round pick. If Jackson never even comes to San Antonio, this is a GREAT trade. If Jackson does anything as a Spur, it's gravy.
    According to reports, you're a little off but your premise. SJax is on contract for this year and the next while RJ was on for the next 3. In the long run, the Spurs do save $ but again, I don't think that's all that this was about. Kawhi Leonard was the 16th pick overall and will get about $8 million. Giving up that 1st round pick means the Spurs also forfeit an opportunity to move up into the late lottery early playoff team trade spots for other players. And this years draft is supposed to be fairly stout.

RJ clearly wasn't working. He hadn't been and wasn't going to no matter how hard he or Pop tried. He's not a bad player, just the WRONG player.

SJax is an attempt at making a go w/ a player - although older - who could be right.

Thread Information