Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trade was great. Not trading Jack last season and letting his contract go to waste was the bad part.
    That was pretty much the object of the trade, to let his contract roll off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was pretty much the object of the trade, to let his contract roll off.
    Yeah, but for what? What did that give them? Nothing they would not have had anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but for what? What did that give them? Nothing they would not have had anyway.
    It allowed them to spend most of the MLE this year without paying the tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It allowed them to spend most of the MLE this year without paying the tax.
    Which they could have done anyway by either waiving Bonner or just trading for someone making about $8 Million or less. Or had they picked up a good player last season, perhaps they don't need to use the full MLE this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which they could have done anyway by either waiving Bonner or just trading for someone making about $8 Million or less. Or had they picked up a good player last season, perhaps they don't need to use the full MLE this season.
    There's a lot of things the Spurs CAN do that they WON'T do. I can't ever see them taking on salary in trade for Jack, or turning around and cutting Bonner and paying his $$$. These are things that you need to understand AND accept if you want to be a fan of the team and not drive yourself crazy with scenarios that will never happen.

The Spurs have a pattern of behavior involving payroll that they rarely deviate from. If you keep your expectations within those parameters, you won't be mystified, puzzled, or angry at what they do or don't do. If your expectations are outside of those parameters, your often going to be pissed off or angry at what they do or don't do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of things the Spurs CAN do that they WON'T do. I can't ever see them taking on salary in trade for Jack, or turning around and cutting Bonner and paying his $$$. These are things that you need to understand AND accept if you want to be a fan of the team and not drive yourself crazy with scenarios that will never happen.

The Spurs have a pattern of behavior involving payroll that they rarely deviate from. If you keep your expectations within those parameters, you won't be mystified, puzzled, or angry at what they do or don't do. If your expectations are outside of those parameters, your often going to be pissed off or angry at what they do or don't do.
    Stop acting like you're a Spurs guru and that you're giving me sage advice. I know how they operate. I didn't say I was shocked they didn't trade Jack. I said it was a mistake. I wanted them to acquire a good player on a long-term deal over having financial flexibility the following summer. After seeing how things played out in July, I feel justified in that desire.

And before you or someone else brings up the past 17 years as a retort, save it. I know all about the success the team has had. It's been awesome seeing playoff seasons for most of my life. That doesn't mean the FO doesn't make mistakes or that a casual fan can't correctly point them out. It also doesn't mean that their philosophy is sustainable or that throwing away assets has to be a good strategy just because the most-consistent organization in pro sports did it.

As a fan, and as a person of free mind, I have a right to observe and react with either praise or criticism as I see fit. That doesn't make me less supportive of a fan, and it certainly doesn't make me less knowledgeable of the team's history or present. Get off your damned high horse with this whole, 'You'll be a happier fan if you just sit there and watch the games,' nonsense. I am a happy fan. I'm just not a shill. I can root for the team while also giving my opinion on how they can improve. It's not that hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop acting like you're a Spurs guru and that you're giving me sage advice. I know how they operate. I didn't say I was shocked they didn't trade Jack. I said it was a mistake. I wanted them to acquire a good player on a long-term deal over having financial flexibility the following summer. After seeing how things played out in July, I feel justified in that desire.

And before you or someone else brings up the past 17 years as a retort, save it. I know all about the success the team has had. It's been awesome seeing playoff seasons for most of my life. That doesn't mean the FO doesn't make mistakes or that a casual fan can't correctly point them out. It also doesn't mean that their philosophy is sustainable or that throwing away assets has to be a good strategy just because the most-consistent organization in pro sports did it.

As a fan, and as a person of free mind, I have a right to observe and react with either praise or criticism as I see fit. That doesn't make me less supportive of a fan, and it certainly doesn't make me less knowledgeable of the team's history or present. Get off your damned high horse with this whole, 'You'll be a happier fan if you just sit there and watch the games,' nonsense. I am a happy fan. I'm just not a shill. I can root for the team while also giving my opinion on how they can improve. It's not that hard.
    But, you're not talking about how they can improve. You're looking into the past at something they didn't do, and saying they should have done it, when you know damn well why they didn't, or so you say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But, you're not talking about how they can improve. You're looking into the past at something they didn't do, and saying they should have done it, when you know damn well why they didn't, or so you say.
    First, it's not a rule that the team doesn't take on future salary in trades. They did so with Jefferson, Thomas, and Mohammad. They take on the salary if they want the player, so your blanket statement about the team's habits isn't true.

And it makes no difference if the criticism I gave is about the past or future, especially in this case when there's proof on this board of me giving this opinion already. We can and do criticize things the team has done, like benching Green for a good part of the season, even while knowing why the team did it.

Again, you're equating, "I don't think the team should have done this," with, "I am surprised/hurt/confused the team did this." They aren't the same statement at all. I understand why the FO let Jack's and Bonner's contracts go to waste last season. I just feel their reasoning was poor and that the team is weaker than it could have been as the result of their actions.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs ever trade for good players younger than 30?

They always go for the almost washed up types.

Getting rid of Jefferson was a good move, but just too much excitement for a chucker nearing past his prime years. And still no upgrade on the frontline which is the teams biggest need and achilles heel.
    I was right about Jackson making any type of difference on the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Spurs ever trade for good players younger than 30?
    the Spurs go for whatever is affordable in the market. It's simple math imo.

same reason nigs go for crack over high grade coca imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, it's not a rule that the team doesn't take on future salary in trades. They did so with Jefferson, Thomas, and Mohammad. They take on the salary if they want the player, so your blanket statement about the team's habits isn't true.
    You're right but the chances they could have found a deal for a player good enough to commit to for Jack's corpse are extremely slim. For all we know, they might have really wanted to, they might have called every single team for every single player but no one wanted him. In fact that's probably much closer to the truth than the assumption they just wanted his contract to expire. Besides he had his family issues around the trade deadline time and it's possible this played a role as well.

Thread Information