http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...205326741.html

Southern Miss band chants ‘where’s your green card?’ to Puerto Rican Kansas State player

By Chris Chase | The Dagger – 46 minutes ago

Members of the University of Southern Mississippi band chanted racist taunts at a hispanic Kansas State player during the schools' NCAA tournament game on Thursday.
    After point guard Angel Rodriguez was fouled late in the first half of the second-round game, a few band members showered the freshman with cries of "where's your green card?"
    Listen carefully to the crowd noise, particularly around the :08 mark of this clip:
    The chant and those who participated don't warrant any civilized dialogue. Both are an embarrassment to the university.
    Southern Miss president Martha Saunders quickly apologized for the incident.
    "We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today's game," she wrote in a statement issued two hours after the game. "The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university. We apologize to Mr. Rodriquez (sic) and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident."
    Rodriguez was spelled incorrectly in the original draft.
    As if things could get any more ignorant, the basis for the band's racism was itself misguided. Rodriguez was born in Puerto Rico, a commonwealth of the United States. Even if he hadn't grown up in Miami and starred for a high school basketball team in that city, he'd still be an American citizen and have no need for a green card. Ignorant ignorance; it's the best kind.
    Hernandez and K-State had the last laugh. The Wildcats defeated Southern Miss, 70-64.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    That university should immediately make a geography class a requirement for graduation. Inbred idiots.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Usa! Usa!

Mr Robinsons hood denizen Creepn's Avatar
    Post Count
    That university should immediately make a geography class a requirement for graduation. Inbred idiots.
    Agreed. Just pathetic.

Post Count
    Not surprised to be honest. I grew up in Mississippi. One kid doesn't represent the school or the state, but there were always knuckleheads like that around. Pretty common in the public schools to be honest.

Thread Information