Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should have the full MLE. A team has the full MLE ($5M/4years) as long as its payroll stay below $4M below the tax. Spurs should be able to keep their payroll below $74.3M next year even if they pay a player $5M.
    I would question whether you're right since I see it differently a few places but I'm sure you're right. Thanks

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How this trade would affect the signing of Loberk this summer (ie the only chance to upgrade the big) and a backup PG?
    The Spurs should have the full MLE this summer...even after re-upping Duncan. Signing Lorbek will not be a problem if they chose to go that route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should have the full MLE this summer...even after re-upping Duncan. Signing Lorbek will not be a problem if they chose to go that route.

Might actually improve the chances of Lorbek coming over because it removes the chances of the Spurs chasing a big fish this offseason. Lorbek could very well be the top priority this summer now ... after re-signing Duncan, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would question whether you're right since I see it differently a few places but I'm sure you're right. Thanks
    The best source is the principle agreement:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_Jq...zI4/edit?pli=1

It's short and easy to read. The $4M over the tax item is at the end of page 3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who haven't kept up with Stephen Jackson's locker room drama in Milwaukee, here are a couple of articles you can refer to -

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...g-scott-skiles

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...andon-jennings

A couple of key quotes (from the second article) -

SJax: “It’s very difficult,” Jackson said. “I’m going from playing 38 minutes each game and being one of the top guys in minutes played over the last five years to not playing at all. It’s tough. The only thing that I can do is worry about what I can control and that’s trying to be a professional and keep supporting the young guys. It’s tough, though, with how much I love the game. I know I have a lot of basketball left in me. It’s tough not being out there and not being able to contribute.”

SJax: “To not be playing, and not have any reasons behind it, it’s kind of disrespectful,” Jackson said. “At the end of the day, I’m 33 years old. I’m not a 22-year-old guy that you’re coaching. I’m a grown man who’s probably done more than a lot of people in this locker room in this league, including coaches,” Jackson said.

(Unamed) general manager: Either way, Jackson’s remarks have not done much for his trade value. “You’d never say never, of course, but it is hard to imagine anyone taking him on,” one general manager said. “He still thinks he can play like he is 28. He can’t. That might be news to him, but I don’t think it is news to the rest of us.”

----------------------------------------------------

Is this something we have to worry about? Hopefully not. I think Stephen's second quote is perhaps most telling. He just flat out did not respect Scott Skiles and (presumably) most of the players around him. Somehow I doubt Gregg Popovich with his ring-studded resume will have trouble proving that he's "worthy" of coaching SJax as he sees fit.

And then of course you have the calming veteran influence of Duncan/Ginobili/Parker.

Nevertheless, it's something to consider. Will SJax be willing to take a severely limited role compared to what he was probably used to a couple of years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys severely underrate the influence Duncan Manu Parker and Pop have on this team.

Guys that could act up, don't, or they're gone. Immediately...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, Pop monitors everyone's minutes. Maybe Parker and RJ (while he was here) are the exceptions. Jax can look at Manu or Tim and see they rarely play over 26 or so minutes, which is what I expect him to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And, as I pointed out before, he's looking for a new contract... keeping around the jackass act isn't going to land him one...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people are under the impression Duncan is going to play into his 50's and still be productive.
    Name one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Might actually improve the chances of Lorbek coming over because it removes the chances of the Spurs chasing a big fish this offseason. Lorbek could very well be the top priority this summer now ... after re-signing Duncan, of course.
    Full MLE contracts are way less interesting with the new CBA than in the past. in 2010-2011, a full MLE deal was $33.4M/5 years. In 2012-2013, a full MLE deal is $21.4M/4 years.

One of the effect of this new CBA is that it will way harder to attract good NBA vets with the full MLE. They will either re-sign with their team or with a team below the cap. For example, Spurs could have had a shot at a player like Ilyasova with a $33M offer and they have not a chance at getting with a $21M offer.

Lorbek being Spurs 1st target next summer is even more likely when you consider that they won't be able to get a good established player with their full MLE.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will SJax play tomorrow?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will SJax play tomorrow?
    The probability that he'll play tomorrow is approximately 0%.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson was a completely sunk cost; dude has been worthless and relegated to spot minutes because of it two postseasons in a row. No reason to think that would have changed this time around. In the 2010 offseason I said the Spurs would have been better off letting Jefferson walk and signing nobody to replace him, so of course I'm ecstatic when he can be flipped into someone with a strong playoff history who also happens to be one of my favorite players of all-time. Any production Jack can give the Spurs is gravy IMO (and it's not crazy to think it will be there since he's only a year removed from being a really solid SF).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was going to write a post led "Buckets & Bullets" that explained something similar, but mine was more geared towards the emotional aspect of what a guy like Jax can do for a veteran team that might have lost the belief they were contenders.

Buckets & Bullets: If the Spurs are going down, they are going down swinging.

I love it. I called Phase I. Can't wait for Phase II.
    I won't deny that Jackson will add more bite to a team that needed more in the first round last year. I just wonder if it's enough to make up for Bonner/Blair.
    Last edited by therealtruth; 03-16-2012 at 01:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many good informations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson was a completely sunk cost; dude has been worthless and relegated to spot minutes because of it two postseasons in a row. No reason to think that would have changed this time around. In the 2010 offseason I said the Spurs would have been better off letting Jefferson walk and signing nobody to replace him, so of course I'm ecstatic when he can be flipped into someone with a strong playoff history who also happens to be one of my favorite players of all-time. Any production Jack can give the Spurs is gravy IMO (and it's not crazy to think it will be there since he's only a year removed from being a really solid SF).
    You know, even if everything else was exactly equal, Jackson isn't soft. Jefferson is. I don't know how you quantify that, but it's worth a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jack sure as won't try to disappear on the court. He might be pulled early a few times for chucking, but I'll take just about anything over Mrs Walton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't deny that Jackson will add more bite to a team that needed more in the first round last year. I just wonder if it's enough to make up Bonner/Blair.
    Probably not, but that's not the point. He replaces RJ and saves us 12 million. That's called a great move. The Bonner/Blair thing is a different issue. You aren't going to end up with 5 great starters and a great bench. There has to be some weaknesses but at least these guys have some strengths. With Jackson out there, there won't be as much of a need for Bonner to play defense and the bigs won't have to sag out to help defend the man RJ just ignored.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the cons for this trade is making this year draft less interesting for SPURS fan. I hope SPURS will consider trading for a 1st round pick in this year draft as well.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys severely underrate the influence Duncan Manu Parker and Pop have on this team.

Guys that could act up, don't, or they're gone. Immediately...
    Good to have you back but I think while its great having Duncan Manu and Parker in the locker room, they aren't super effective as leaders either.

Manu is great in game but is way too mellow off court. Duncan is a man a few words and Parker only recently started to assert himself. That leaves pop, who while a great leader can be blinded by his own stubbornness.

Spurs have great personnel because they scout well and they take in certain players. But when someone upsets the establishment I think their solution is to rid the player rather than reform him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uva post!

Keep this quality comin'.

I sure hope you string one of these together this offseaon on best FA bigman options for the Spurs for next year, along with pros and cons of each.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing the Spurs could go into 2013 with the exact same 12 players. 9 already under contract and Duncan, Green, and James Anderson virtual locks to be resigned.

I like the chemistry for 2013 if this happens. I think they can seriously contend for it all in June 2013.
    Do you really believe Anderson has a future here, after his agent went "off the reservation" and requested a trade? I'd like to see him workout here too, but there just doesn't appear to be much room for him and his poor showings certainly aren't helping his value.

If the Spurs could flip him, and something else, into either a low 1st round pick, or even a very high second, in the upcoming June draft, that would be great.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much the spurs offer him per year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this trade gives us the ability to have 2-3 wing defenders on the court at the same time while someone takes a breather, while the teams defense doesnt take a hit...

jax, kl, gino, green

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome write-up timvp. Damn the line-up possibilities with SJax are endless now!

Thread Information