Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really do appreciate the write up as well
    as im sure all the hundreds who read and leave but we do.

to have jax back a real MAN In RETURN i agree w/ the above poster and have always said manu is really the most important person when it comes to winning, even when he's not playing he looks pissed when we lose and its so refreshing to see.

instead of hanging your head and putting your tail between your legs, while u pout
    (red rock ) & like jefferson last year and the year before where he would just act like it was no big deal as he got taken on raped at the three and everywhere else well thats infectious b/c if you see tim duncan when he had bonner starting w/him and just no help he looked like he was removed from some p.o games.

you cant surround yourself with losers or people who are even somewhat ok with losing. sorry losing isnt an option for me & many of us as we take on life and it shouldnt be for our spurs either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol where are the haters that didnt want a jax trade all year...fck them where you at?

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm.
    didn't Sjax play some of the best defense against Dirk that the NBA has seen in the last decade?
    ok, that was some years back, but as it stands right now, there is a very good chance that the Spurs and Mavs will meet in the first round of the PO.
    did the Spurs have this in mind when they did the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs actually win this year, the #3 jersey should be retired.

We now have some players I trust with the ball at the end of game in Neal, Manu, Action Jackson, and Duncan!

I'm like a little giddy ing girl right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another Q:

Usually a player needs a year to really fit with the Spurs play. Will Jax adapt faster to our system, coz he has been here so long before?

and one more:

Is Malik Rose still available too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up. I'm still puzzled about the money though: if Timmy's next contract cancels out any upside to amnestying RJ, why doesn't it cancel out any upside to getting rid of RJ's contract with this trade? Unless you mean it only saves the owners money, but still doesn't free up any money to help with signing players...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up. I'm still puzzled about the money though: if Timmy's next contract cancels out any upside to amnestying RJ, why doesn't it cancel out any upside to getting rid of RJ's contract with this trade? Unless you mean it only saves the owners money, but still doesn't free up any money to help with signing players...
    Because it saves Holt $12 million at the cost of a late 1st round pick. With the added incentive that maybe, just maybe SJax would be able to help on the court as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy and Logical to get on the Jack-wagon now but better to temper expectations. He isn't the same guy he was, NINE years ago and has regressed badly from his 2011 version if the limited stats from the Bucks are to be believed.

All things considered, he would still be better than Jefferson mentally and fit-wise, but has still got to do a lot of hard work to make the Spurs a contender.

In fact, the more important key to a le (or not) this year is who the Spurs pick from the waiver wire. Diaw seems the logical choice, but his warts in the form of extra fat is going to be a headache and so too Kaman's shortcomings if he is going to be picked up.

The Championship is still going to be a very steep climb, but RJ's departure is a big monkey off the back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is for some reason this trade makes me feel like I'm going to be watching the real Spurs play again. The team with a little edge and swagger to it.

Now bring in someone a'la Kevin Willis and I'll be expcstatic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I know is for some reason this trade makes me feel like I'm going to be watching the real Spurs play again. The team with a little edge and swagger to it.

Now bring in someone a'la Kevin Willis and I'll be expcstatic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where do you get those White, Silver, and Black headbands. Those are dope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ignored the negative points

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year's loss to Memphis illustrated that we needed to get tougher and more physical and it wasn't going to happen with RJ at the starting 3 spot. Now, fast forward a year and we have added Green and Leonard to the rotation and each has brought a level of intensity lacking from last year's team short of Ginobili.

I expect Sjax to raise our intensity overall and it will be great to have another guy on the team that is not afraid in the big moments. I hope the Spurs try to sign the best defensive big man available and we will be a complete team heading into the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm.
    didn't Sjax play some of the best defense against Dirk that the NBA has seen in the last decade?
    ok, that was some years back, but as it stands right now, there is a very good chance that the Spurs and Mavs will meet in the first round of the PO.
    did the Spurs have this in mind when they did the trade.
    Dirk has gotten better and throwing a shorter guy at him no longer works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another high quality post, timvp!
    Thanks.

Psyched to see what we get this time around with SJax

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you really believe Anderson has a future here, after his agent went "off the reservation" and requested a trade? I'd like to see him workout here too, but there just doesn't appear to be much room for him and his poor showings certainly aren't helping his value.

If the Spurs could flip him, and something else, into either a low 1st round pick, or even a very high second, in the upcoming June draft, that would be great.
    The way I understand it, Anderson's absolutely gone. The Spurs can't even offer him as much as other teams because they declined to pick up his option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now wheel in someone a'la Kevin Willis and I'll be expcstatic.
    Fixed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For later this season:

What was that whistle in the middle of the play? Why is the other team shooting a free throw?
    That's called a technical foul. Stephen Jackson said something to the officials because he didn't get a call and the team is being punished for it. This will happen quite a bit more often than you're used to. The upside is that if Jackson didn't get sent into the locker room, he's probably going to play a lot harder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    time to get another one

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I normally lurk and rarely post, but one intangible I don't see anyone ever mentioning is his umm... fiery nature. I'm not calling Jack an "enforcer" on the team but, with his past reputation, it would make sense to assume that, come playoff time, maybe opposing players will think twice before laying flagrant/hard fouls on Tony and Manu while he is on the floor. RJ wasn't going to make anyone think twice about laying out a Spurs player but, with Jack on the court, I don't see anybody going "Najera" on us with the chance that things could escalate quickly and I think there is some value in that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I normally lurk and rarely post, but one intangible I don't see anyone ever mentioning is his umm... fiery nature. I'm not calling Jack an "enforcer" on the team but, with his past reputation, it would make sense to assume that, come playoff time, maybe opposing players will think twice before laying flagrant/hard fouls on Tony and Manu while he is on the floor. RJ wasn't going to make anyone think twice about laying out a Spurs player but, with Jack on the court, I don't see anybody going "Najera" on us with the chance that things could escalate quickly and I think there is some value in that.
    If they thought they could get him thrown out of the game or suspended for the rest of the series, they might be MORE apt to try to start something. Not saying you're wrong, but having an emotional guy is a double-edged sword.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see where this goes, but I'm hopeful that the many past sins on Stephen Jackson's ledger are things that came up more because he didn't respect his teammates/coaches in other situations and that his animus towards them was informed by the fact that he's been inside the Spurs situation and knows what a good situation should be. He's undoubtedly acted the fool at times, but he seems to be genuinely excited for the opportunity to be back with the Spurs, seems to feel that SA is where he belongs, and will be motivated by the chance to rewrite some past wrongs.

Good to have you back but I think while its great having Duncan Manu and Parker in the locker room, they aren't super effective as leaders either.

Manu is great in game but is way too mellow off court. Duncan is a man a few words and Parker only recently started to assert himself. That leaves pop, who while a great leader can be blinded by his own stubbornness.
    I'm not sure that I buy the the lack of leadership angle. Leadership isn't a function of being vocal. Tim has always been a leader on the floor; he just manages his teammates by talking to them supportively rather than dressing them down when things go wrong. It hasn't taken much over the last few years to see Tim take a teammate aside during a game and make a point or address a mistake.

Even if you don't think that's leadership, when Jack was here the first time, there was a lot of talk by him about the positive influence of the quiet leadership by example that was all around him. It's hard to about your role when David Robinson isn't ing about his role. And I think he's seen how Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili have become stars or superstars who are team-first guys. Jack's undoubtedly an emotional guy who wants to win and believes that winning will happen more often than not when he's participating. With that said, I think it's hard to be too vocal about those things when others who have much longer NBA resumes than you do are all team guys.

So, there's a thread of leadership that runs from 2002-03 to 2011-12 without need for yelling at people. I don't think there's any doubt that he respects all three of them and Pop as well.

For later this season:

What was that whistle in the middle of the play? Why is the other team shooting a free throw?
    That's called a technical foul. Stephen Jackson said something to the officials because he didn't get a call and the team is being punished for it. This will happen quite a bit more often than you're used to. The upside is that if Jackson didn't get sent into the locker room, he's probably going to play a lot harder.
    Good point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys severely underrate the influence Duncan Manu Parker and Pop have on this team.

Guys that could act up, don't, or they're gone. Immediately...
    The man. The myth. The legend.

The T Park.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great writeup as usual, timvp.

One more question (and perhaps the most important one): Will having SJax back bring out a little gangster in the Red Rocket?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    call him whatever you want

he did put the gsw and bobcats into the playoffs

Thread Information