Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was only two years ago that he received a 5th place vote for MVP.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Came hoping you would post something like this, so thanks timvp.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny quote from Sam Smith on why Chicago should have gone after Jack (and another thing to keep in mind if the Spurs are fortunate enough to make it back to the finals):

"The one guy I might have taken a shot at was Stephen Jackson because LeBron, I believe, thinks Jackson is nuts and isn’t aggressive against him. "

Doc
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great post, as usual, timvp. The return of Buckets has me more excited about this team than I have been in a long time. Spurs have been playing mostly great all year but this is exactly the kind of infusion of at ude and ability they need to take it to the next level. I find it hard to imagine SJax not fitting in with this group, and if everybody can gel quickly I think the team chemistry is going to be through the roof. I think it's no surprise he played his best game of the year vs the Spurs, he probably didn't want to look bad in front of Pop and Timmy. Jax's energy and enthusiasm are contagious and everyone on the team stands to benefit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing the Spurs could go into 2013 with the exact same 12 players. 9 already under contract and Duncan, Green, and James Anderson virtual locks to be resigned.

I like the chemistry for 2013 if this happens. I think they can seriously contend for it all in June 2013.
    Do you even follow the Spurs? Anderson is a lock to be resigned?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny quote from Sam Smith on why Chicago should have gone after Jack (and another thing to keep in mind if the Spurs are fortunate enough to make it back to the finals):

"The one guy I might have taken a shot at was Stephen Jackson because LeBron, I believe, thinks Jackson is nuts and isn’t aggressive against him. "
    That's because he is nuts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure that I buy the the lack of leadership angle. Leadership isn't a function of being vocal. Tim has always been a leader on the floor; he just manages his teammates by talking to them supportively rather than dressing them down when things go wrong. It hasn't taken much over the last few years to see Tim take a teammate aside during a game and make a point or address a mistake.

Even if you don't think that's leadership, when Jack was here the first time, there was a lot of talk by him about the positive influence of the quiet leadership by example that was all around him. It's hard to about your role when David Robinson isn't ing about his role. And I think he's seen how Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili have become stars or superstars who are team-first guys. Jack's undoubtedly an emotional guy who wants to win and believes that winning will happen more often than not when he's participating. With that said, I think it's hard to be too vocal about those things when others who have much longer NBA resumes than you do are all team guys.

So, there's a thread of leadership that runs from 2002-03 to 2011-12 without need for yelling at people. I don't think there's any doubt that he respects all three of them and Pop as well.
    Tim is, and always has been, a leader - he's just not a chest-pounder. I've always loved the fact that he never heads to the locker room until after every other player walks past and gets a head-rub. And if you watch him while he's on the bench, he looks like everybody's big brother that they look up to. But he's not just a cheerleader - we've all seen him chew out guys on the team when they really screw up, or when they aren't putting out the effort.

As for Stephen Jackson, and Tim/Tony/Manu's influence on him, to (hopefully) keep him from being a distraction? I read an article this morning that reminded me that there will be a different, bigger influence that will help keep Jackson from getting too carried away with himself. Read the clip below, and see if you can picture it happening in San Antonio:

McMillan, the consummate professional, watched as Felton showed up out of shape -- by his own admission -- to training campfollowing the lockout. McMillan listened as Felton publicly expressed frustration with him and his system despite instructions to address the issues man- to-man behind closed doors. McMillan benched Felton to give him some "time" -- like a father might do to a kindergartner -- and then begrudgingly reinserted him into the starting lineup after it became clear Crawford wasn't the answer at point guard. Felton's personality has been so toxic that one national report accused him of leading a "mutiny" with Crawford against McMillan while a newspaper writer referred to him as a "cancer and a crappy player." [Note: it could just as easily have been an article about DeMarcus Cousins and Paul Westphal.]

My opinion - the biggest reason Jackson won't get as crazy here as he has elsewhere is because he won't have any influence himself. Pop and Buford aren't going to be split over how to handle a problem child. They aren't going to cave in to fan pressure. And there aren't any young, stupid players here that would join into a player mutiny. They say it takes two to tango, and if SJax starts any of his stupid here, he'll be doing it all alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great stuff as usual Timvp
    an excellent, level-headed look at this great deal the Spurs pulled off.

Getting cap space this summer looks also way less interesting than a week ago.

Dwight Howard not hitting free agency has a ripple effect on a lot of teams. For example, Spurs first target next summer could have been Brook Lopez. With Howard staying in Orlando, Nets will hold into Lopez.

Spurs could have been too be interested in making a run in Batum but Blazers have traded away Wallace. Batum looks like a big piece of their future.
    Great points Bruno
    this really is a fantastic post. My greatest aspiration was Hibbert, buuuuuut that was probably a pipe dream all along anyway. Definitely never wanted Lopez. Batum wouldve been nice, but redundant with Leonard to some degree. Either way great call pointing out how cap space this summer no longer wouldve given us as much to be excited about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

great find Mark

A week ago no one was scared of the Spurs. The Memphis series really was the biggest blow in making us look weak/beatable/entirely not frightening.

What this team needed was a little dose of crazy, a little dose of swagger, and we just got Buckets of both

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not sure that I buy the the lack of leadership angle. Leadership isn't a function of being vocal. Tim has always been a leader on the floor; he just manages his teammates by talking to them supportively rather than dressing them down when things go wrong. It hasn't taken much over the last few years to see Tim take a teammate aside during a game and make a point or address a mistake.

Even if you don't think that's leadership, when Jack was here the first time, there was a lot of talk by him about the positive influence of the quiet leadership by example that was all around him. It's hard to about your role when David Robinson isn't ing about his role. And I think he's seen how Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili have become stars or superstars who are team-first guys. Jack's undoubtedly an emotional guy who wants to win and believes that winning will happen more often than not when he's participating. With that said, I think it's hard to be too vocal about those things when others who have much longer NBA resumes than you do are all team guys.

So, there's a thread of leadership that runs from 2002-03 to 2011-12 without need for yelling at people. I don't think there's any doubt that he respects all three of them and Pop as well.
    I didn't say there is a lack of leadership. I think the big 3 are really good leaders and personalities to have around. I just don't think they're great or world class.

My point was that the Spurs have shown that they rather ship troubled players out then try and fix the problem internally. That's not a bad thing either, but there are players/coaches (obviously rare) out there who have the ability to motivate the lackadaisical and straighten out the clowns with talent.

But that's not the style of leadership that Duncan, Manu, and Parker have. But don't get me wrong because I'm happy with who they are and I'm not asking for an overhaul here.

Makes you say hmmm... YoMamaIsCallin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think with the Spurs, it's not about "straightening out" and "motivating". I think the Spurs players, coaches, and management are quite direct about what they expect, but just in a factual, direct, emphatic way, not in an emotional or motivational way. They expect their players to act like men, to do their jobs the best they can, and to, as Popovich famously says, get over themselves. They offer this opportunity to be part of something good, they will coach and give advice, but if the player doesn't want to make the effort for whatever reason, they say, "OK, well, good luck at your next stop, no hard feelings". No one can ever claim they were confused about what was expected of them.

That is the Spurs way.

Someone I respect a lot once told me "You can only do your half of a relationship". I think that applies to this situation too.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ....reserving this spot in case I want to add more questions, tbh........

hey baby....BAM

Kobe eats Jackson's ass..check it out career wise guarding each other head to head ( no )

Kobe - 29 pts

Jackson - 15 pts

It's even worse in the play-offs:

Kobe 32 pts

Jackson 8 pts

Last game they played each other:

Kobe 28 pts

Jackson 8 pts..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think with the Spurs, it's not about "straightening out" and "motivating". I think the Spurs players, coaches, and management are quite direct about what they expect, but just in a factual, direct, emphatic way, not in an emotional or motivational way. They expect their players to act like men, to do their jobs the best they can, and to, as Popovich famously says, get over themselves. They offer this opportunity to be part of something good, they will coach and give advice, but if the player doesn't want to make the effort for whatever reason, they say, "OK, well, good luck at your next stop, no hard feelings". No one can ever claim they were confused about what was expected of them.

That is the Spurs way.

Someone I respect a lot once told me "You can only do your half of a relationship". I think that applies to this situation too.
    This.

Plus, I don't know that we're privy to all of the efforts to try to bring a knucklehead in line; what we see is that guys who act like knuckleheads are treated like knuckleheads and, if it doesn't change, they find new places to play. Assuming that nothing goes on behind the scenes to try to change that -- that there aren't efforts to fix the problem internally first -- strikes me as a guess more than a fact, but I'll readily admit that my counter is equally an assumption.

Frankly, I think we don't see a lot of knucklehead problems with the Spurs because, by and large, the homework on those issues is done well in advance of acquiring such a knucklehead.

Finally, I think it's a bit odd to say that Tim Duncan isn't a world class leader among basketball players. I don't think too many in the NBA question his leadership and many -- superstars included -- aspire to lead teams the way that he does. Having the best in your profession openly aspire to emulate your style tends -- to me at least -- to prove that you are a world class leader.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey baby....BAM

Kobe eats Jackson's ass..check it out career wise guarding each other head to head ( no )

Kobe - 29 pts

Jackson - 15 pts

It's even worse in the play-offs:

Kobe 32 pts

Jackson 8 pts

Last game they played each other:

Kobe 28 pts

Jackson 8 pts..
    When Jack was a Spur, Kobe avearaged 31 points per game against the Spurs in five games. The Spurs won four of them. Thanks for playing.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    When Jack was a Spur, Kobe avearaged 31 points per game against the Spurs in five games. The Spurs won four of them. Thanks for playing.

what about head to head play-off series...

Kobe 4 the Spurs 1

or rings

Kobe 5 Duncan 4

I like this game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What was Golden State's motivation?
    First of all, Jackson had burned his bridge back to Golden State after demanding a trade from the team a few years ago. When the Warriors reacquired Jackson in the Andrew Bogut trade earlier this week, there was no way they were going to bring back Jackson.

While the Warriors could have simply bought out Jackson's contract, the organization was already feeling a bit of a backlash for trading Monta Ellis for a player (Bogut) who is probably out for the rest of the season. That meant Golden State was in a position where they had to trade Jackson. And because of the large amount of money owed to him next season and his poor play this season, the market was severely limited.

By turning Jackson into Jefferson, the Warriors see it as getting a solid role player who has proven to be reliable over the years. He's also a professional who will seamlessly fit in any lockerroom. On top of that, the Warriors get a first round draft pick in a year in which they may lose their own pick (they owe it to the Jazz unless the pick is in the top seven).
    Thanks for some helpful insight into Goldens possible motives.
    But really, Soft was their only option?
    No other deals to be worked with other teams?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty in pink.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what about head to head play-off series...

Kobe 4 the Spurs 1

or rings

Kobe 5 Duncan 4

I like this game
    you were better off comparing Kobe to Jackson since neither of them were the best player on their championship teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is the Spurs way.

This.

Plus, I don't know that we're privy to all of the efforts to try to bring a knucklehead in line; what we see is that guys who act like knuckleheads are treated like knuckleheads and, if it doesn't change, they find new places to play. Assuming that nothing goes on behind the scenes to try to change that -- that there aren't efforts to fix the problem internally first -- strikes me as a guess more than a fact, but I'll readily admit that my counter is equally an assumption.

Frankly, I think we don't see a lot of knucklehead problems with the Spurs because, by and large, the homework on those issues is done well in advance of acquiring such a knucklehead.
    Yeah that's my point. Spurs are more likely to show someone the door as opposed to reconstructing the player. Its effective as long as you have a winning organization. I don't think Duncan is a world class leader but his resume is and definitely speaks for itself. So Duncan not being vocal doesn't really matter because of the environment that the Spurs have established.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DaTrillStak5

Yes playing tommorow guys. So excited.

Thread Information