Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we need him! We need someone who know to stay around the rim to rebound an try to play defense. Blair is not the answer.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Waiting for Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not the all-around player that Diaw is, but he is has size and he's far more aggressive. While I haven't seen him play recently, he can rebound and defend in the post. I have to believe that he'd be a servicable option for what the Spurs need at this time. I'd feel more comfortable going into physical playoff series with him as a 5th big - especially against a team like the Fakers, Mavs or Grizzlies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign for the vet. He becomes our third center.

Then sign Diaw. Diaw makes Bonner our third power forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not the all-around player that Diaw is, but he is has size and he's far more aggressive. While I haven't seen him play recently, he can rebound and defend in the post.
    His rebounding is really pretty anemic for a guy his size, who plays around the basket. But he's definitely a better interior defender than Blair, and he blocks shots at about 5 times the rate that Blair does.

Ordinarily I would say that if Ronny Turiaf is the answer, you're asking the wrong question. Sadly, we need another big body so badly, and Blair sucks so much on defense, I'd take him if we can't get Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather have Diaw. He doesn't have the tools defensively that Turiaf does but he makes up for it with a higher bbiq. He is also a great passer and can hit an open shot on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His rebounding is really pretty anemic for a guy his size, who plays around the basket. But he's definitely a better interior defender than Blair, and he blocks shots at about 5 times the rate that Blair does.

Ordinarily I would say that if Ronny Turiaf is the answer, you're asking the wrong question. Sadly, we need another big body so badly, and Blair sucks so much on defense, I'd take him if we can't get Diaw.
    You'd rather have Diaw or Turiaf?

To me it's an apples and oranges comparisons in terms of their skill sets. Diaw is more of a "soft", passive SF/PF type. He's a good all-around player and a smart one at that. While I believe he'd fit in seamlessly into the Spurs, he doesn't really address what this team is lacking.

Because Turiaf is a true PF/C-type, he addresses the Spurs needs a bit better - even if his rebounding is rather anemic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can the Spurs really afford to wait to see if MJ waives Diaw? I don't think the Spurs can risk ending up empty handed by waiting around for Diaw.

For that reason, I think they should try to sign Turiaf ASAP.

The first obstacle is that a team may claim Turiaf on waivers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he clears waivers, Turiaf won't sign with a NBA team to be an end of the bench player.

Turiaf's main goal is the Olympics game. While he should make the french NT roster for off the court reasons, it's not a given because France has a lot of depth at the center spot with Noah, Turiaf, Mahinmi, Seraphin and Traoré. Turiaf will either sign with a NBA team where he can get significant minutes or he will go back in France where he will get these minutes and practice more than in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he clears waivers, Turiaf won't sign with a NBA team to be an end of the bench player.

Turiaf's main goal is the Olympics game. While he should make the french NT roster for off the court reasons, it's not a given because France has a lot of depth at the center spot with Noah, Turiaf, Mahinmi, Seraphin and Traoré. Turiaf will either sign with a NBA team where he can get significant minutes or he will go back in France where he will get these minutes and practice more than in the NBA.
    Do you think he views the Spurs situation as one where he can get some minutes or do you think he'd need to be convinced by Pop that there are minutes to be had?

I doubt Pop would guarantee minutes but then again, the Spurs are pretty desperate . . .

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it too much money for the Spurs to grab both Diaw and Turiaf?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I certainly get what you're saying, but , he's been an end-of the-bench player for the past couple of years. Perhaps having TP as lead recruiter, would help give the Spurs the edge.

And I agree with LJ, rather that wait for Diaw, if the Spurs can swing it, I'd sure get Turiaf in here pronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not the all-around player that Diaw is, but he is has size and he's far more aggressive. While I haven't seen him play recently, he can rebound and defend in the post. I have to believe that he'd be a servicable option for what the Spurs need at this time. I'd feel more comfortable going into physical playoff series with him as a 5th big - especially against a team like the Fakers, Mavs or Grizzlies.
    +1

Give me Turiaf, not that other fat ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it too much money for the Spurs to grab both Diaw and Turiaf?
    First off, the signature is awesome

second, I would guess yes due to they included Ford "allegedly" so that it would clear money to make room for another player.

So I doubt it was enough clearance for two.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Seems risky to wait on Diaw if Turiaf is willing to come here and is healthy.

He could surely get some of Blair's minutes just on his hustle and defense alone.

It's not like we can be picky here either. We need some depth up front that's been evident from the start.

Would the Spurs sign both if given the chance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To me it's an apples and oranges comparisons in terms of their skill sets. Diaw is more of a "soft", passive SF/PF type. He's a good all-around player and a smart one at that. While I believe he'd fit in seamlessly into the Spurs, he doesn't really address what this team is lacking.

Because Turiaf is a true PF/C-type, he addresses the Spurs needs a bit better - even if his rebounding is rather anemic.
    Spurs are tops in the league in defensive rebounding, I don't think this particular weakness would be exposed that badly. We need a guy who will get physical in the paint, Turiaf is that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think he views the Spurs situation as one where he can get some minutes or do you think he'd need to be convinced by Pop that there are minutes to be had?

I doubt Pop would guarantee minutes but then again, the Spurs are pretty desperate . . .
    The only way Turiaf could get minutes with Spurs is Pop starting Splitter/Duncan and have Bonner/Turiaf as backups. When you see how little Pop has paired Duncan with Splitter, I doubt it's his plan.

IMO, Spurs really want and have a good chance at getting Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly get what you're saying, but , he's been an end-of the-bench player for the past couple of years.
    Turiaf has been a backup big playing around 18-20 mpg these past four years. He hasn't been an end of the bench player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one that thinks Turiaf sucks?

I would not be upset if we didn't get him, I'd rather have Bonner, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would risk losing Turiaf for even a small chance at Diaw.

Turiaf has a lot of baggage health-wise and otherwise.

Diaw has some baggage, too, but a heckuva lot more upside.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turiaf is good coming from the bench.
    He would be the best shot blocker in the team, after Tim.
    Very important when a defensive stop is needed.
    Diaw is the kind of player that has enough skills and the IQ to start.

We need both, imho.
    Hope the franch connection works and the fo is willing to spend some more money...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hmmm... I hate it when people use logic, and make me think and stuff. JK. It's the big reason I come here. I actually had to think about your question for a minute.

You've got some good points. My problem with Turiaf is that I don't see him as a high BBIQ guy, to say the least. And you only have to look at his numbers to see that he really doesn't rebound very well. And I don't have any memory of him coming out and setting quality picks like, say, Fabbs. He doesn't pass out of the post for , so forget about assists.

On the other hand, he is a banger, which we could use. He blocks shots fairly regularly, which we could use. And when he does clean something up around the basket, he doesn't go up with those sissy lay-ins (that our guys miss with some regularity). And he's got legitimate 6'10" height, while Diaw is another 6'8" guy in the low blocks, which I'm sick of.

I guess I have the idea that Diaw is more steady, and Turiaf is more streaky. When Turiaf is having a good night (especially against a lesser team) he chest-pounds and yells, and makes sure that's the way you remember him. I still remember too many nights when he couldn't do .

I don't know... your comments reminded me of what we're really missing. Not just another guy in the middle, but a guy who is big and strong enough to legitimately play C, and defend other legitimate bigs. There's a reason Diaw was making $9M this year, and Turiaf was making $4M. But I guess that's immaterial, if one meets our needs better. I'll say this much - if we sign Turiaf, I won't at all. At least not until he starts whiffing boards, and failing to set picks. And maybe not even then, if he can actually defend like he's capable of.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I trust Turiaf to get physical and give a hard foul inside. He's a ball of energy. He's not going to put the fear into the other team but they'll take him more seriously than they do Bonner and Blair that's for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need a starting PF. Not C. Turiaf does not really fit that role next to Duncan and I see Pop having a hard time playing him there. All signing Turiaf would do is take minutes away from Tiago if Pop isn't willing to play 2 inside players at the same time and nothing he's done has shown he's willing to start playing Tim and Tiago together.

Signing Diaw will at least take minutes away from Bonner and Blair seeing that they are most alike and let Tiago continue to get his. Diaw starting next to Duncan makes sense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it's Turiaf. We need more size and physicality on the frontline. Diaw would be another "big" playing as a small forward a la Bonner.

Thread Information