Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious where y'all are going with this conversation...what is the point?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Thanks for admitting you were completely wrong.

Found the source yet?
    Not looking for it.

I'm mul asking. Switching to here every few minutes while I'm doing other things. I could care less, as like I said, all you had to do was point out my mistake... but I found it... Why should I continue to look?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When only looking at the black and white numbers, blacks are 54.6%. The 17:3 is 85%.
    Now is there a different incarceration rate for murder? Is there (and I'll bet there is) a different number of violent crimes committed by blacks?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I'm curious where y'all are going with this conversation...what is the point?
    Who knows with Chump...

Our friendly troll Facts brought up the 17:3 blacks:whites exonerated by DNA. Every time I see something like this, it seems there is an agenda to show unfairness between races. However, blacks do commit more crimes, and especially more violent crimes than whites. just simple facts, but you always have someone wanting to say it's racism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it an incorrect question? Your figures when counting only white and black show that 85% of those exonerated by DNA are black. When looking at the Texas 2005 prison population between blacks and whites, blacks comprise of 82.6% of the prison population. Looks proportional to me.

One could say there is no significant difference in wrongly accused blacks vs whites when it comes to murder.

Uneven Justice:
    State Rates of Incarceration By Race and Ethnicity
    Um, that isn't what your pdf says, goober.

This is soooo illustrative of your inability to meaningfully interpret what you read.

The RATE of incarceration is roughly that much compared to whites.

What you missed in your bit here is that blacks only comprise 10% of the population.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Um, that isn't what your pdf says, goober.

This is soooo illustrative of your inability to meaningfully interpret what you read.

The RATE of incarceration is roughly that much compared to whites.

What you missed in your bit here is that blacks only comprise 10% of the population.
    What you missed is I already corrected myself. Besides, I thought it was more like 12%?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I think several letters from the dead mans father trump even a shouted question...and don't pretend that those letters don't get read and NORMALLY answered by at least someone on the staff.
    Does the president need to opine on all of the three million letters? or just some of them?

How much delay do you allow for?

When where the letters written?

What other letters from murder victims also have gotten buried in there?

Honestly, it seems a bit of a stretch to expect them to get to millions of letters on a timely basis.

Since the dude who did it got locked away for a LONG sentence, I don't see how that is an injustice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...

Like I said before Chump...

You're losing it.

All you had to do was point out that in my linked material, I used the wrong stats. The stats I used were the 667/100,000 whites vs. the 3,162/100,000 blacks. I took the numbers to be total population, when it too was by race.

You are the one who stings people for using blogs... I repaid you.

Now I will admittedly move the goal post.

What are these statistics when only Murder apply?

My gut feeling tells me they will be close to that 17:3 ratio.
    Hmm....

The ratios are roughly 4:1 for overall incarceration.
    The exoneration ratio was roughly 5:1

While 20 people from one county aren't exactly a meaningful statistical sample, it does indicate a possibility for blacks accused of murders to be found guilty at a rate higher than the incarceration rates for the general population.

There is a whole field of study on this.

Blacks are far more likely to be both arrested and convicted of crimes than whites, after controlling for just about every other factor, based on what I remember of reading.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Blacks are far more likely to be both arrested and convicted of crimes than whites, after controlling for just about every other factor, based on what I remember of reading.
    Yes, but were they actually guilty or not?

I know there is a sentiment that blacks are unfairly arrested an convicted. If you go only by statistics, then it is a fair assumption at first look. However, with more poverty , gang affiliation, etc. among blacks than whites, maybe the statistics are a proper reflection of the crimes actually committed.

Really hard to know for certain, wouldn't you agree?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And don't forget genetics...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but were they actually guilty or not?

I know there is a sentiment that blacks are unfairly arrested an convicted. If you go only by statistics, then it is a fair assumption at first look. However, with more poverty , gang affiliation, etc. among blacks than whites, maybe the statistics are a proper reflection of the crimes actually committed.

Really hard to know for certain, wouldn't you agree?
    THey controlled for all the socio-economic factors you mention.

Even allowing for poverty and even geographic area.

The levels of false convictions raises some serious doubts as to whether people with more pigment in their skins get a fair shake in our system.

The uncomfortable truth is that there are some fair grounds for black people to complain about unfairness in our justice system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't take my word for it though. Do some digging.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    THey controlled for all the socio-economic factors you mention.

Even allowing for poverty and even geographic area.

The levels of false convictions raises some serious doubts as to whether people with more pigment in their skins get a fair shake in our system.

The uncomfortable truth is that there are some fair grounds for black people to complain about unfairness in our justice system.
    What about the whites improperly convicted?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Are you honestly going to tell me that there aren't double standards when it comes to racism and prejudice?

If you're a rich white male, you're extremely powerful. If not, then you ed.

And people love it when a white person kills or beats up a black person because they love to just hash out at each other on this . People love drama. And people love to judge and throw stones at someone that has done something wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about the whites improperly convicted?
    What about them?

It sucks if anybody gets wrongly convicted.
    It really sucks that, all other things equal, you are more likely to be both convicted, and, it seems, wrongly convicted, if you are black.

What do you want me to say here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you honestly going to tell me that there aren't double standards when it comes to racism and prejudice?

And people love it when a white person kills or beats up a black person because they love to just hash out at each other on this . People love drama. And people love to judge and throw stones at someone that has done something wrong.
    Oddly enough, I would agree. People love the sensational.

I think that black racists get something of a free pass when they say stupid .

But then again, one has to keep in mind the historical context of white on black violence.

Jesse Washington
    Spectacle lynching--Burned Alive Waco Texas 1916
    Souvenir Postcard sold for ten cents.

Double lynching of Abram Smith 19, and Thomas Shipp 18 --Lynched to death in Marion, Indiana August 7, 1930.

(edit, waaay too large on screen, and quite too graphic, although I am of the opinion that you need to see this kind of stuff to let the horrific nature of what is being discussed sink in a little)
    Three men lynched in
    Duluth, Minnesota, circa 1920.

Minneapolis 1882
    Dragged from his jail cell by an angry mob, accused rapist McManus was hanged from a leafless tree.

YOU can't tell me that if this had been done to your grandfather, you would not be a bit sensitive when the subject comes up.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 03-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is not pretty.

Gloss over anything you want. I spared you from some of the more nasty stuff.

http://www.americanlynching.com/photos-old.htm

Kind of hard to have an honest conversation about racial violence without talking about the elephant in the room.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Speaking of historical context, wasn't it rich white males that owned slaves in America?

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Listen guy, with that ty retail job you have, you wouldn't be any more powerful if you were black

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Okay.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    What about them?

It sucks if anybody gets wrongly convicted.
    It really sucks that, all other things equal, you are more likely to be both convicted, and, it seems, wrongly convicted, if you are black.

What do you want me to say here?
    I just don't buy that the wrongly convicted has a preference for race. Sure, 30 years ago and more, but not today. the police and prosecution will set their sights on whites if they think they have a case also. They just want the conviction, to put the public at ease.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't buy that the wrongly convicted has a preference for race. Sure, 30 years ago and more, but not today. the police and prosecution will set their sights on whites if they think they have a case also. They just want the conviction, to put the public at ease.
    Sure you don't buy it. It doesn't fit in with your worldview.

You think less than a hundred years after the pictures above, everything has magically gotten better?

You think that the immunity from prosecution enjoyed by the KKK enjoyed as few as 50 years ago has entirely faded?

You have a lot more faith in people than I do.

I can only tell you what I have read. I don't have the time to spoon feed it to you. Get off yer butt and look. Even with your rather strong reality filtering system, the information is there. It is pretty extensively studied and do ented, from what I saw.

(edit)

Man can I kill a thread or what?
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 03-30-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Thread Information