My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...rl-3444629.php

When Mitt Romney attended a fundraiser at the Pearl Stable today before heading to Houston to accept the endorsement of former President George H.W. Bush, members of the 99 percent were there to greet him.

About 100 protesters, chanting slogans like, “Pay your fair share,” stood across the street from the stable as a gaggle of media waited for Romney to walk from the Pearl studio, where he was posing for pictures with supporters, to the stable for the fundraiser.

Many of the protesters were there in support of the Buffett rule, a progressive tax proposal in President Barack Obama's budget plan named after billionaire investor Warren Buffett, which would require those earning more than $1 million to pay a minimum tax rate of 30 percent.

Others, including state Rep. Joaquín Castro and former Rep. Ciro Rodriguez, were there to support the Dream Act, which Romney opposes.

The Buffett rule gained traction when Romney, whose net worth is estimated to be between $190 million and $250 million, released tax returns showing he paid 13.9 percent in 2010. That's because most of his income is in the form of capital gains on investment income, which generally is taxed at 15 percent.

Senate Democrats have vowed to bring the Buffet rule to the floor on April 15, the day millions of working Americans pay their tax bills.

Republicans have decried the proposed rule as “class warfare,” and say the estimated $47 billion in additional revenue the law could bring in is a drop in the bucket against the current $7 trillion federal budget deficits

Supporters of the law say it's about basic tax fairness, and they point to polls showing a majority of Americans agree.

Alina Cortez, a student at Texas A&M-San Antonio has a personal reason for attending the rally: she's an undo ented immigrant who came to Texas at age 9 with her parents and a visa that since has expired.

Cortez, who calls herself a conservative Republican, said she understands that people like Romney don't want undo ented people mooching off those who work.

“Romney doesn't understand that the DREAM Act isn't a hand-out,” she said. “We want to work hard for this country.”

~~Ya'll know he'll win Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how can anyone take Romney seriously?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how can anyone take hater seriously?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can anyone think that Bush 41 is relevant? I mean conservatives hated his ass for raising taxes did they not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    relevant, no. underrated, yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GHW Bush was the last US president to understand that wars have to be paid for

Thread Information