Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

The Amish Rifle Ryan Fitzpatrick's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    Can you win without that great QB? Absolutely if you have a great D and can run the ball and win the turnover battle.
    Giants were last in the league in rushing and had the 25th-ranked defense. Patriots had the 31st ranked defense and I can't imagine BJGE and Danny Woodhead tore it up on the ground either

Here are your starting RBs the last several SB champs:
    2011: Ahmad Bradshaw
    2010: James Starks
    2009: Pierre Thomas
    2008: Willie Parker
    2007: Brandon Jacobs
    2006: Joseph Addai
    2005: Willie Parker
    2004: Corey Dillon
    2003: Can't remember
    2002: Michael Pittman
    2001: Antowain Smith

Why not the Niners?
    Alex Smith.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    How about Jim McMahan vs Tony Eason? Trent Dilfer? Do I really need that long list of so so QB's that played in a SB? Who is better Peyton Manning or Eli Manning? Who has won more SB's? How many did Dan Marino win? Terry Bradshaw was a great QB? Bart Starr's stats pale in comparision to Johnny Unitas and Fran Tarkenton why was he more successful?

Running backs???

How did Alix Smith make it to the Championship game instead of Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees?

Winning the turnover battle is huge in the NFL, next comes you can run/stuff the run. If you can do that and the Niners can you don't need a Hall of Fame QB, history has proven that....fact,
    Maybe you've been sleeping under a rock the past few years, but this is a passing/offensive league now. It's not 3 yards and a cloud of dust anymore.

How did the 49ers win their playoff game last year? Oh yeah, a shoot-out. Atrocious playcalling (Blitzing with 40 secs left) and horrible Saints defense made the Niners offense look good. Wasn't SF also one of if not THE worst redzone offenses in the league?

The Ravens can run the ball, have a great D, and I believe they won the TO battle at New England, but they lost. Tim Tebow beat Ben Roethlisberger straight up despite both defense playing horribly. Weird happens

You aren't going to win a SB in THIS era unless you have a boss at QB.

Great defense, weak division, one play from being in last seasons SB. Now add Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Brandon Jacobs. What's not to like? Do they have a "great" QB....nope! Can you win without that great QB? Absolutely if you have a great D and can run the ball and win the turnover battle.

The Niners could sweep their division, very realistic to think that. Also realistic to see them host another NFC Championship game.

It looks like a three team race in the NFC now that the Saints are ed. The Packers, Giants and Niners. Why not the Niners?
    Quit being stuck in the 80's.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    RaZon just needs to quit posting.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    Just stop.

This is my thread, if you can't make some sense ....leave! When was the last time the inferior defense won the Superbowl?

Long time football fan here, no way you're gonna be telling me too much.

Didn't Big Ben beat Warner? Didn't Brees beat Manning? Didn't Eli beat Brady? Now think! Cool this ridiculous....the Niners can't win with Smith..bull !!!

Ryan, cool I know it all you know nothing silliness...ok? To think a team with the defense the Niners have can't win coming as close as they did last year is...rook-kee!

PASTE...

There are many factors that determine the success (or failure) of winning football games. I don't care if we're talking pee wee, high school, college or professional football. It's all the same. While there are many aspects to winning football, here are a few keys:

Win the Time of Possession Battle - Throughout the course of a game, the opposing teams trade possession of the ball. The length of time that a team has possession of the ball is referred to as its time of possession. While no guarantee to victory, generally speaking the longer a team has the ball throughout the game, the better. It's kind of like "keep away" - if you don't have the ball, you can't score!

Win the Turnover Battle - A turnover occurs when a team unwillingly gives up possession of the ball to its opponent, either through an interception (ball thrown forward and caught by an opposing player) or by a fumble (ball carrier loses possession of the ball that the opposing team recovers). Each time a team "turns the ball over" (turnover) to its opponent, it gives itself one less and its opponent one additional opportunity to score. One too many turnovers by a team can be costly; it can be the difference between winning and losing. A team can usually live with one or two turnovers in a game, but if it turns the ball over three or more times, it usually spells DISASTER.

Convert on 3rd Downs - When a team has the ball, it is given a set of four downs (plays) to advance the ball at least 10 yards, or else it may have to give up possession of the ball to its opponent. 3rd down is probably the most critical down, because if it doesn't convert (advance the ball far enough after its 3rd down), it very likely on 4th down will have to give up possession of the ball by kicking it (punting) to its opponent.

Successfully rushing the ball against its opponent - In football, there are two types of plays that a team uses to advance the ball forward: Passing (throwing the ball forward) and Rushing (running with the ball from scrimmage)***** While ideally, a team would like to be successful at both, it is of particular importance that a team has success rushing the ball. One reason is, the more successful a team is at rushing, the longer it is able to keep the ball in its hands and out of its opponents*********** To briefly explain, when a team rushes the ball, the game clock(clock used to time the action) continues to wind down, leaving less time for its opponent when it has possession; whereas passing the ball can stop the game clock if a pass thrown is incomplete (not caught). Another reason is, rushing the ball wears down the opposing team.

Successfully stop the opposing team from rushing - Just think opposite of what we just described in the previous point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You ever actually play organized football? You do know that Philip Rivers has done more than Big Ben as far as QBing goes....right?
    Last edited by RaZon; 03-30-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Heat/Phillies/NY Giants TIMMYtoZO's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    The 49ers arent just stuck with Alex Smith, but an asshurt Alex Smith which is even worse. You need elite qb play and talented wideouts to win in this league now. An elite d only gets you so far.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Horrible troll effort or just dumber than ducks

How about Jim McMahon vs Tony Eason? Trent Dilfer? Do I really need that long list of so so QB's that played in a SB? Who is better Peyton Manning or Eli Manning? Who has won more SB's? How many did Dan Marino win? Terry Bradshaw was a great QB? Bart Starr's stats pale in comparision to Johnny Unitas and Fran Tarkenton why was he more successful? David Woodley???
    No way this isn't a trolling effort, you can't make all these stupid comparisons without realizing it.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    The Niners weren't gonna drive on the Giants defense in OT. It wasn't happening. The first team who blinked first lost. That was the Niners.

My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    I would also take the Giants D over the 49ers D. That front 4 is going to be even better next year. JPP/Joesph/Austin/Tuck with Osi subbing in is just unfair. That is 5 studs. Jerry Reese is simply the man.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    I would also take the Giants D over the 49ers D. That front 4 is going to be even better next year. JPP/Joesph/Austin/Tuck with Osi subbing in is just unfair. That is 5 studs. Jerry Reese is simply the man.
    I like the Niners back seven/eight over the Giants easily. Better secondary and much better LBs. Plus, they have good pass rushers as well.

My Team
    New York Giants
    Post Count
    I like the Niners back seven/eight over the Giants easily. Better secondary and much better LBs. Plus, they have good pass rushers as well.
    Amukamara/Thomas/Webster/Johnson/Phillips/Rolle is a pretty damn good secondary. Amukamara will be entering his 2nd year and Thomas was turning into an elite shutdown corner before he got hurt. The Giants linebackers are young but full of potential. If they can resign Blackburn/Goff, that is even better.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Amukamara/Thomas/Webster/Johnson/Phillips/Rolle is a pretty damn good secondary. Amukamara will be entering his 2nd year and Thomas was turning into an elite shutdown corner before he got hurt. The Giants linebackers are young but full of potential. If they can resign Blackburn/Goff, that is even better.
    You're right, but the Niners still have a better defense until proven. Fortunately the Giants have Eli and Cruz.

I agree 100% with TtoZ here, a healthy Giants secondary > a healthy Niners secondary. Phillips and Rolle are both great coverage safeties and Amukamara is a stud in the making. The Giants secondary was playing on another level in the playoffs when it was healthy.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    I agree 100% with TtoZ here, a healthy Giants secondary > a healthy Niners secondary. Phillips and Rolle are both great coverage safeties and Amukamara is a stud in the making. The Giants secondary was playing on another level in the playoffs when it was healthy.
    They got that swagggggggggggggggggggggg

Thread Information