Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in '99 we went 37-13 for a 74% winning percentage... and that was still not considered a "50-win" season. Otherwise, they'd be saying that we accomplished that 14 years in a row, instead of 12 years in a row.

I definitely don't think we should go for 50 wins, but we're not going to be counted for making 50 wins without actually winning 50 games.
    Then 99 should be left out of the equation. So in reality, we won 50 games for 13 years in a row.*

*Year = standard 82 game season

The reasoning is quite simple. We did not "fail" to win 50 games in 99 because that implies that we performed worse than other years. You are inherently making that comparison, but it's a fallacy.

So this really comes down to one thing: winning percentage is more meaningful than "total number of wins," which is confounded by the number of games in a season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will win every game they can, but Pop isn't going to coach playoff level ball with a clinched seed and risk injury. He's going to rest his starters except Manu who he has to play in the last game of the season for old times sake.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then 99 should be left out of the equation. So in reality, we won 50 games for 13 years in a row.*

*Year = standard 82 game season

The reasoning is quite simple. We did not "fail" to win 50 games in 99 because that implies that we performed worse than other years. You are inherently making that comparison, but it's a fallacy.

So this really comes down to one thing: winning percentage is more meaningful than "total number of wins," which is confounded by the number of games in a season.
    The reasoning is quite simple. We failed to win 50 games in 99, not because we performed worse, but because there were less games played.

Hey, I'm not the one who is keeping the NBA stats, so don't blame me. The fact of the matter is that, when talking about winning percentage, we did really well 14 years in a row (and continuing)... but when you talk about 50-win seasons, then YES we failed to win 50 wins in '99.

And please don't asterisk the season, saying it doesn't count... when we had enough trouble with asterisks, saying the championship counted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe we're 2 or 3 games away from clinching a playoff spot. I'd be surprised after that if Pop was actively trying to win the rest of the games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will definitely sit guys at the end of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bench will get those 50 wins.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The bench will get those 50 wins.
    You want to sig bet they're not reaching 50 wins?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want to sig bet they're not reaching 50 wins?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The streak should be a .600 win percent, not 50 wins. 49 wins in a regular season gets a .598, so .600 is a good cutoff.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What? Don't give icon answers; don't keep me guessing. Are you in or out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? Don't give icon answers; don't keep me guessing. Are you in or out?
    As exciting as it sounds, the odds aren't good enough to risk not representing for Matty.

Out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unlikely, considering the fact that pop will rest his players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I asked Hollinger on his chat session today about the 50W season for the Spurs. His thoughts:

Me:
    Do you see the Spurs going 12-2 the remainder continuing the 50 win season streak?

John Hollinger (2:32 PM)
    No, they have some tough national TV games and several back to backs, and they are going to blatantly tank a couple of games to get guys rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I asked Hollinger on his chat session today about the 50W season for the Spurs. His thoughts:

Me:
    Do you see the Spurs going 12-2 the remainder continuing the 50 win season streak?

John Hollinger (2:32 PM)
    No, they have some tough national TV games and several back to backs, and they are going to blatantly tank a couple of games to get guys rest.
    Tank games?

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    You didn't watch the Portland game earlier this year? Manu was out injured, and Pop sat both Tim and Tony because of the schedule. We lost by like 30.

Once we wrap up spot #2, I'm pretty sure Pop will pop in in neutral.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't watch the Portland game earlier this year? Manu was out injured, and Pop sat both Tim and Tony because of the schedule. We lost by like 30.

That would be supremely stupid to let off the gas pedal completely, especially considering all the new acquisitions that need time to develop chemistry with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've watched just about every game this year. But that isn't tanking. Spurs aren't playing for the lottery or purposely losing games to play a different playoff opponent. Resting players when you have a seed locked up is the smart thing to do.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be supremely stupid to let off the gas pedal completely, especially considering all the new acquisitions that need time to develop chemistry with the team.
    Was playing Manu against Phoenix more or less stupid in your opinion?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was playing Manu against Phoenix more or less stupid in your opinion?
    Well for starters Manu should be considered a special case and evaluated on an individual basis. But since the spurs had nothing to gain from winning that game vs the suns (in the standings), and also had no new acquisitions to work into the mix, I'll say it was just extremely dumb for him to play.

I really don't think anyone (players included) had an understanding of what Pop was trying to accomplish heading into the final weeks of the season last year. I just re-watched a replay of that injury he got by swiping at the ball of a driving Anthony Tolliver, and it seemed very unnecessary given the cir stances of the game, like one of those plays you would only think about doing in a hotly contested playoff game with big ramifications.
    I think if the players had a better understanding of what was going on and what Pop was trying to do these types of unfortunate incidents would be mitigated somewhat.

Ultimately, nobody can really say for sure what Manu was thinking in that game, or whether he was just being typical "Manu" because that's just how he is, but if I was a betting man I would say had he a better understanding of what the plan was her perhaps doesn't make a hard risky slap at the ball like he did.

Now fast forward to this year, I think guys still need to play out the season to develop chemistry with Diaw, Jackson, & Mills and yes that includes Manu. The risk / reward in Manu's case is close but I'd still rather develop the chemistry. But also it's extremely helpful that guys understand this. Which means the coach should thoroughly explain what the main mission directives are heading into each game so guys aren't confused and unnecessarily putting themselves in harm's way.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

Ultimately, nobody can really say for sure what Manu was thinking in that game, or whether he was just being typical "Manu" because that's just how he is, but if I was a betting man I would say had he a better understanding of what the plan was her perhaps doesn't make a hard risky slap at the ball like he did.
    ?? Manu didn't slap at the ball against Phoenix. That was this year when he broke his hand against Minny. The play against Phoenix was one that happens every game like 30-40 times. When you run the P'n'R, the ballhandler throws out an arm bar with his off arm between himself and the pick to prevent the defender from shooting the gap. Hill tried anyway and broke Manu's elbow. That's the random senseless risk you take playing players in games YOU DON'T ABSOLUTELY NEED.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ?? Manu didn't slap at the ball against Phoenix. That was this year when he broke his hand against Minny. The play against Phoenix was one that happens every game like 30-40 times. When you run the P'n'R, the ballhandler throws out an arm bar with his off arm between himself and the pick to prevent the defender from shooting the gap. Hill tried anyway and broke Manu's elbow. That's the random senseless risk you take playing players in games YOU DON'T ABSOLUTELY NEED.
    Okay, thanks for the correction WCK, Manu's had so many injuries I get em all confused sometimes.

The point still stands however. Maybe Manu doesn't throw that armbar with such force (or at all) if it is understood the game is a throwaway and absolutely meaningless.

What I'd like to know ---- has anyone yet figured out what Pop's plan was in that final regular season week last year? I remember reading dozens of speculation threads and no real conclusion ever drawn.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would think that he was trying to get HCA over Chicago, since that's the only thing there was to gain from it.

I'm sort of on board with what you're suggesting, TJ, but I'd really rather see Diaw worked in sooner rather than later if that's indeed the plan. His lack of PT is starting to make him look like either insurance or incentive for some folks ahead of him to step up their game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with comparisons to last year's closing out the season is that we had peaked too early and were not playing well. We were 4-8 the last 3 weeks of the season. It started when Tim sprained his ankle against Golden State, which prompted a 6 game losing streak. Pop was trying to re-establish rhythm and consistency in the rotation going into the playoffs. We closed the season with a b2b against LA and PHO with 3 days off until the playoffs started. We threw the Laker game by sitting the big 3 and the PHO game was to get everyone some burn.

This year we're riding high, playing the best ball possible, and I'm sure it will be a much different approach to closing out the final 3 weeks. Seeding is probably the last thing on the coaching staff's mind, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the big 3 not playing both games of a b2b and the game in LAL in the middle of a b2b2b is probably a throwaway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with comparisons to last year's closing out the season is that we had peaked too early and were not playing well. We were 4-8 the last 3 weeks of the season. It started when Tim sprained his ankle against Golden State, which prompted a 6 game losing streak. Pop was trying to re-establish rhythm and consistency in the rotation going into the playoffs.
    So how is it "different" this year since we have 3 newly acquired players plus 2 rookies all trying to adjust and fit in? I would think that would make it even more of a priority tbh.

We closed the season with a b2b against LA and PHO with 3 days off until the playoffs started. We threw the Laker game by sitting the big 3 and the PHO game was to get everyone some burn.

This year we're riding high, playing the best ball possible, and I'm sure it will be a much different approach to closing out the final 3 weeks. Seeding is probably the last thing on the coaching staff's mind, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the big 3 not playing both games of a b2b and the game in LAL in the middle of a b2b2b is probably a throwaway.
    I think a push to get home court advantage over the thunder is well worth the exta effort. Especially for a team not only as deep as the spurs but also because for the spurs court has so much impact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how is it "different" this year since we have 3 newly acquired players plus 2 rookies all trying to adjust and fit in? I would think that would make it even more of a priority tbh.
    Make what more of a priority? There isn't much to "re-establish" since we haven't lost a game since Diaw and Mills joined the team. Like I said, the difference is that we're peaking and basically look unbeatable regardless of who is lacing it up, home or away. So the chemistry is there, the rotations are there, it is a matter of keeping everyone healthy and not regressing. Last year there was a lot to improve in the final 3 weeks, this year not so much.

Pop also hasn't changed the starting lineup by pulling Blair like he did near the end of the season last year. Now, one could argue he should, but he won't with two and half weeks left and after what happened last year.

Thread Information