Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and that's a day after drawing 6,000 at another speech

“Hey Mitt, Rick and Newt–this is what a revolution looks like.”

Thursday night in Los Angeles, presidential candidate Ron Paul broke his own attendance record, actually set the night before in Chico, California. The news media doesn't always pick up on the subtle, or even the obvious details that set Paul's feverish supporters apart from the typical pack. While the Chico attendance was recorded at six thousand four hundred, the media reported it as "hundreds" of participants.

At the UCLA event, participants had waited as long as nine hours, standing in line, wearing t-shirts, holding signs, chanting, and encouraging political discourse with each other. Of course, they had much to agree with each other, as Paul's supporter's are typically enthralled with his long-standing record of one-message, without changing points of view very often.

Even as this article goes to print, as Paul set a new attendance record (estimates have ranged form seven to ten thousand), the only mention of Paul on the Fox news site is "Paul Increasingly Absent From Campaign." This continuously frustrates his supporters, who turn out in significantly larger numbers than any other candidate in the race. Most complain that Paul is not given fair representation in the major news media, and this seems compellingly shown true tonight again.

Ron Paul is known for having a core message that doesn't change. His address at UCLA certainly kept that image in tact. January 1, 2012 saw the passage of forty thousand new federal laws in America; Paul says, "I want to be the first president to repeal forty thousand laws."

"If people want to put something that's harmful in their bodies, without being dangerous to anyone else, they ought to be able to do that." Later, when speaking about the difficulties farmers face, "and if they want to go into the rope business, I'll let them make hemp rope." Paul added, "The 'war on drugs' has caused more harm than the drugs themselves."

Paul referred to "The Golden Rule" and got a standing ovation from the record setting crowd of various ages. "That's certainly different from the reaction I got from metioning the Golden Rule in a debate a few months ago."

Finally, he addressed a few larger issues facing American freedom in this "We have to repeal the NDAA and change the at ude of the TSA" was greeted by a similar applause to his mention of reducing dependancy on government welfare: When you give all care over to the govt and they're doing a terrible disservice to people, how can you say they're the humanitarians?

His closing message offered uplifting potential: "Seek virtue and excellence."

Continue reading on Examiner.com Ron Paul Breaks Record Attendance at UCLA - Los Angeles Community activism | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/community-ac...#ixzz1rAnRMz00
    Last edited by cheguevara; 04-05-2012 at 08:47 AM.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he needs to run as an independent...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hey, one in ten of those people might actually vote. When your presidential chances are tied to pot smoking college kids, you don't have a very good shot. Has Paul even received 10,000 votes in the primaries added together?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unfortunately, there are a lot less pot smoking students than there are gun toting, bible thumping warmongering brainwashed rednecks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “You have to reach out to more people than the Republican base,” Paul told WMAL Radio on Monday. “We’re going to have big turnouts in places where no other Republican can go. I’m going to go to Berkeley.”
    going all in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interesting. IMO Paul is using Texas and California as a measuring stick. He's going not for republicans there, but registering independents and liberals to vote for him.

Judging on how successful that is, he might decide to say it and go 3rd party. Not before going to Tampa first though, he's #2 in delegates on some counts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unfortunately, there are a lot less pot smoking students than there are gun toting, bible thumping warmongering brainwashed rednecks
    +1

I'd side with a pot smoking college guy before siding with a neocon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who cares?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Large crowds do not equal large number of votes.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It looks like he's going to receive about 10-12% of the vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Latest CA Primary poll:

Romney 44%
    Santorum 23%
    Gingrich 12%
    Paul 12%

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/Poll...9-83cc40996df1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now Ron Paul is an artist or something?

, *I* could draw a crowd of 10,000+

I'll stop now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats not a very big crowd tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get that many in Austin coming up pretty soon, I suspect
    He'll come in fourth in that primary too, I suspect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll come in fourth in that primary too, I suspect.
    I think Paul has passed Newt. Paul will get about 9% and Newt will get 5%. For someone who draws large crowds people don't really get very excited about voting for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, one in ten of those people might actually vote. When your presidential chances are tied to pot smoking college kids, you don't have a very good shot. Has Paul even received 10,000 votes in the primaries added together?
    Son this ain't Occupy Wallstreet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Son this ain't Occupy Wallstreet.
    Until they graduate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's clear some things up.

A) The crowds Paul is attracting (6,000 one day, 10,000 the next, etc) are big for a candidate in primary season. only an idiot would disagree.

B) Paul is not winning the election because the Republican party is still controlled by neocons.

C) The reason this is newsworthy is because Paul is running one of the best ran elections in modern times, in terms of transparency, organization and ardent following.

D) Paul is going to the Tampa convention with a ton of delegates and could prossibly play the role of kingmaker.

pretty simple to understand tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's clear some things up.

A) The crowds Paul is attracting (6,000 one day, 10,000 the next, etc) are big for a candidate in primary season. only an idiot would disagree.

B) Paul is not winning the election because the Republican party is still controlled by neocons.

C) The reason this is newsworthy is because Paul is running one of the best ran elections in modern times, in terms of transparency, organization and ardent following.

D) Paul is going to the Tampa convention with a ton of delegates and could prossibly play the role of kingmaker.

pretty simple to understand tbh
    I think its great he is able to bring that many people to hear him speak. Your point B is essentially the same argument Santorum is making so there i no need or a response as it is just wrong.

I suppose if you add the collective weight of the delegates he will have in Tampa, they might combine to weigh about a ton. He will only have a role in Tampa if Romney's team allows him one. When you can't collect more than 10% of the vote, you don't have sway. Especially when 90% of your 10% do not turn out to vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs draw like 18,000 every night. Maybe they should run for president.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think its great he is able to bring that many people to hear him speak. Your point B is essentially the same argument Santorum is making so there i no need or a response as it is just wrong.
    Santorum is the definition of neocon. More wars, more civil rights violated.

I suppose if you add the collective weight of the delegates he will have in Tampa, they might combine to weigh about a ton. He will only have a role in Tampa if Romney's team allows him one. When you can't collect more than 10% of the vote, you don't have sway. Especially when 90% of your 10% do not turn out to vote.
    This is where you miss the point. Votes in the primaries do not = delegates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs draw like 18,000 every night. Maybe they should run for president.

Pop would be awesome going to congress to clean house

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is where you miss the point. Votes in the primaries do not = delegates.
    So Paul seeks influence through less democratic means?

Explain how this reflects the will of the people who bothered to vote.

Thread Information