Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have stated that I will refrain from insulting you.

If you cannot return the favor, then we are done.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes but the earth didn't start off as a baby it was a result of a huge explosion.

key word "explosion" when objects are tossed away from the energy they exploded from.

That means all the planets and moons and stars had to be part of this big ass rock that decided to explode and formed this universe we live in.

You see how foolish Science sounds when you break it down?
    Science does not state anything of the sort.

This is known as a strawman logical fallacy.
    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

You have misstated what "science", i.e.scientists, have postulated about the origin of the universe, and our planet.

Your statement is therefore rejected as logically flawed.

If you cannot reasonably restate what the currently held assertions of scientists are, then you only prove that either you are lying or do not understand what that assertion is.

I believe you do not understand. That is my opinion.

Please accurately explain what scientists think is the explanation for the formation of our planet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See that little critter that just waddled out of the ocean? That is the beginings of an elephant. Oh yeah and an eagle.

Pretty hard to grasp.
    nice

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think science and religion can co-exist.

Two brothers, one a scientist, and one a preacher, walk into the living room and see some cookies. They both wondered where they came from. The scientist brother stated "well, I can see that butter and sugar was mixed along with flour and eggs and wre created after being heated at 375 degrees." The preacher brother explained, "yea... mom made them".

LOL I like this because while i believe in a higher being, I think religion and science are why we are here.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This entire thread is perplexing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers

Two brothers, one a scientist, and one a preacher, walk into the living room and see some cookies. They both wondered where they came from. The scientist brother stated "well, I can see that butter and sugar was mixed along with flour and eggs and wre created after being heated at 375 degrees." The preacher brother explained, "yea... mom made them".

LOL I like this because while i believe in a higher being, I think religion and science are why we are here.
    Yeah, the joke doesn't work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, the joke doesn't work.
    At least give me an A for effort

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    So, you don't have any evidence of what rate the sun was shrinking in the past, and what the starting diameter was?

Ok on that point it's a draw I see your point.

Even Einstein's life of sun formula "E = m · c2" the many researching since then.

And with all the satellite data and Hubble telescope results you want to act like the Sun is only getting larger is your right and unless we both visit the Sun who is to say if I am off a ft or two.

But I see your point. Maybe it was just the right amount of Bud light and THC but i have to give you a pass since I can't give you the evidence you ask for without using someone else s data then I can't expect you to explain how the Universe was formed.

so we can call it a draw (on that point) and move on to the next point?....

I am curious as to why if the Mississippi River loses a football field of mud every hour why wouldn't it be much wider than it is today?

Given the fact the earth is even "500 Million years old" 3 1/2 Billion less than what Scientist claim.

You see how the word "Billion" is just pure nonsense?

We don't have to agree on everything but we can at least agree when we smell bull .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Kentucky Wildcats
    Religion's weird.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Well i suppose if you take the Bible as a bunch of parables and not things that actually happened then they can coexist. OTOH, if you take things like zombies, asexual reproduction in humans, floods covering the entirety of the earth, people hanging out in furnaces or whales, demonic transference of spirits to pigs, spontaneous duplication, transmutation into salt, talking snakes, protection from infectious disease from animal blood, reattachment of appendages by touch, or any of the other myths in teh Bible literally then the two cannot coexist.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I have stated that I will refrain from insulting you.

If you cannot return the favor, then we are done.

I remember you posting that you thought that was a witty funny play on your name.

You seemed to take it well. now you use it to bail on a debate your getting your ass waxed in?

go right ahead,.

Come back when you have thicker skin, make your Gorilla ancestors proud you evolved and your here to represent them.

Thus far you have been doing a fair Job.

Your just misguided and you let the Anti Dr. Hovind websites take over your natural frame of thinking.

You see this subject is to me like Aunt Jemima is to pancakes.

As soon as you eat what I got I have another stack waiting.

I can go on for months with points of view that would make Steve Hawkins want to give head to Billy Gram.

But I am just sitting back and waiting for you to run out of Google searched comeback.

I have yet to ask you some that will require you open a separate browser for help.

So if you want to bail because I had fun with your Screen name after all these years of knowing you then it's your call esse.

Last edited by mouse; 04-14-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    have you hit .....

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What evidence?

Do you have evidence that cannot be attributed to natural causes?
    Assuming you don't want me to relate other people's experiences, I have seen people getting healed before. I think that's the type of evidence you're looking for right?

The God of the bible is both all-knowing and all-powerful. God would not have to control anybody. He could have simply told Jepthah that the first thing that would come out of the house would be Jepthah's daughter, and that God would be happy with something a bit less drastic.

Why do you think God looks for the quality of "I'm willing to murder children" in his followers?
    I don't think they had that kind of relationship tbh.

It's not "I'm willing to murder children" so much as "I'm going to put God and my obligations to him first in my life". That's the at ude Jepthah took.

If you want to argue that that was the wrong thing to do and that he should've gone with the first animal...well I won't disagree.

That doesn't answer my question.

If you promised the mayor you would burn your child alive to get what you wanted, what do you think the mayor would do?

or, if you prefer:

What woud *you* do if someone wanted something from you, and said they were ready to burn their child alive in order to get it?
    Weird. I thought I answered this but I must've missed it.

Well of course I'd move out of concern for the child first.

Again, it's different in this case in that he didn't say he was willing to burn his child. He just promised the first thing out of his house and that happened to be his child. That's a distinction that makes a difference to me although I can understand why it wouldn't to you.

I disagree.

You lose a great deal when you believe in things that are not real, or give in to threats of infinite punishment for finite crimes.
    When you look at it that way I suppose. I know quite a few people who have approached it differently but I didn't become a Christian in hopes of escaping and all that jazz.

I wouldn't expect you to understand (no offence) but there was something else that compelled me to make that decision.

"Evolution is just a theory, so there goes any concrete evidence of anything there."

There's plenty of concrete evidence.

Even short term-evolution, like epigenetics, is observed. Women and men's diets and health affects their sperm and egg qualities that get passed on as permanent genetic qualities to the offspring IN ONE GENERATION.
    I always thought bacteria was the most observable thing. Just the rapid way with which they acquire new traits and the like.

Although I guess it depends on what that particular poster means by "evolution"?
    Last edited by TheSkeptic; 04-14-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well i suppose if you take the Bible as a bunch of parables and not things that actually happened then they can coexist. OTOH, if you take things like zombies, asexual reproduction in humans, floods covering the entirety of the earth, people hanging out in furnaces or whales, demonic transference of spirits to pigs, spontaneous duplication, transmutation into salt, talking snakes, protection from infectious disease from animal blood, reattachment of appendages by touch, or any of the other myths in teh Bible literally then the two cannot coexist.
    You know it's interesting that you'd point some of this out because I've met and known people who have actually seen some of this stuff happen before. And then some.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    You know it's interesting that you'd point some of this out because I've met and known people who have actually seen some of this stuff happen before. And then some.
    Give some examples

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    RandomLie if you got over your sensitivity on me calling you RandomLie I have another question for you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    RandomLie if you got over your sensitivity on me calling you RandomLie I have another question for you.
    How mature of you.

Too bad you haven't gotten over your sensitivity when I call you a stupid .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I doubt you'd be too concerned over evolution and is there a God and can He be proven.
    Why would we be concerned with evolution on our deathbed? What a stupid point.

I think most these...bah humbuggers...would hope there really is a God.

Hoping that there is a God and there actually being a God are two different things.

[quoteWithout a God in your life you are here for a short time then dead as a door nail.
    Just because it doesn't sound good doesn't mean it is not true

Why set yourself for that? Why not have some hope, some faith in something? To play this.."you can't fool me, I'm too smart"....gets you what? It don't get you a damn thing, you gain nothing by taking that stance.
    So people should go against reason to believe in something that doesn't make sense? Just out of fear? Sounds like Pascal's wager.

When I was a kid I once asked my great grandma.."where is grandpa?" That got a.."he is up in Heaven, smiling down on us". I liked that. Sure beat the out of hearing.."he's worm food".
    If I told you that you would survive without a scratch and become a billionaire if you jumped off a bridge, would you believe me? Sounds nice, doesn't it?

More idiotic points from RaZon.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Give some examples
    Check your PM.

I'll send one to anyone else who hasn't seen it and wants to know. I've kind of realized that I'm not really in a position to leave that up.

When you become an old man/woman and start realizing that it won't be long until you won't be here any longer. I'd want to think that just maybe there is a better place. I doubt you'd be too concerned over evolution and is there a God and can He be proven. I think most these...bah humbuggers...would hope there really is a God.

Without a God in your life you are here for a short time then dead as a door nail. Why set yourself for that? Why not have some hope, some faith in something? To play this.."you can't fool me, I'm too smart"....gets you what? It don't get you a damn thing, you gain nothing by taking that stance.

When I was a kid I once asked my great grandma.."where is grandpa?" That got a.."he is up in Heaven, smiling down on us". I liked that. Sure beat the out of hearing.."he's worm food".
    I think what you're thinking about is people who just don't believe as opposed to straight-up atheists. That said, I get what you're saying.
    Last edited by TheSkeptic; 04-15-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People in psych wards manifest demons all the time, but it's amazing the demons some sedatives and a smack across the back of the head will pull from you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    How am I disrespecting a thread about religion by talking about religion?

And since when did many people believing in something make it more likely to be true? Also, why would I believe in something out of fear? If I don't believe that God exists for good reasons, I am not going to abandon those reasons just because I don't want to go to . Furthermore, how do you know that believing will get you into heaven? How do you know that there aren't multiple gods? What makes you think that you believe in the right God?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People who believe in faith healing likely have the same criteria for belief as those who believe in ghosts and bigfoot. They believe what they hear, and their mind readily accepts what they see as supporting evidence without skepticism.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How am I disrespecting a thread about religion by talking about religion?

And since when did many people believing in something make it more likely to be true? Also, why would I believe in something out of fear? If I don't believe that God exists for good reasons, I am not going to abandon those reasons just because I don't want to go to . Furthermore, how do you know that believing will get you into heaven? How do you know that there aren't multiple gods? What makes you think that you believe in the right God?
    Why are you mad at God?

Thread Information