Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    In 1968 Bob Beamon long jumped over 29 feet. Tell someone in 1880 that someday we'd see a 29 foot jump.....IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!
    Are you re ed? How is that an example of the supernatural? How is that outside the realm of understanding? You are making the term meaningless. Just because people think that something is unlikely doesn't make it impossible. There is nothing supernatural about Usain Bolt. His speed can be explained through natural means.

I already said nothing about this can be proved. So you can't disprove anything either.
    I don't have to prove because I'm not the one making the claim.

It's all a bunch of gibberish. So you go with what's best for you, it sure isn't worm food or burn in .
    You say that all of this is just based on faith and then go right back to asserting that there are only three outcomes. Can you even keep track of your own argument?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    You don't know what supernatural means and you don't know what argue means.

You assert that there are three outcomes. I am asking you to back up that assertion and you can't.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Obviously not like that. A lot of televangelists are frauds. I'll admit that without any prodding.

I know it sounds unbelievable but I saw what I saw. I was very skeptical but there was one lady who got healed that I paid particular attention to.

It's easy for you to sit back and laugh about it but this happened right in front of me. I was there and I saw the whole thing from start to finish. I can't just discount things like that or the experiences of the people I know who are close to me.

Don't believe if you don't want to but yeesh. I'm just answering the question Blake put to me.
    Do you have one shreda of evidence other than that you claim it to be true? i find it awfully convenient that these miracles are never corroborated. Its very similar to the claims about whales and zombies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Evertime I get some shut eye is a miracle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    When you become an old man/woman and start realizing that it won't be long until you won't be here any longer. I'd want to think that just maybe there is a better place. I doubt you'd be too concerned over evolution and is there a God and can He be proven. I think most these...bah humbuggers...would hope there really is a God.

Without a God in your life you are here for a short time then dead as a door nail. Why set yourself for that? Why not have some hope, some faith in something? To play this.."you can't fool me, I'm too smart"....gets you what? It don't get you a damn thing, you gain nothing by taking that stance.

When I was a kid I once asked my great grandma.."where is grandpa?" That got a.."he is up in Heaven, smiling down on us". I liked that. Sure beat the out of hearing.."he's worm food".
    Putting faith in the morals and laws in the Bible keeps/has helped keep our society from moving forward.

If Bible thumpers got their way 100% of the time, the Earth would still be the center of the universe and gays would be in jail.....or worse.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Kentucky Wildcats
    Putting faith in the morals and laws in the Bible keeps/has helped keep our society from moving forward.

If Bible thumpers got their way 100% of the time, the Earth would still be the center of the universe and gays would be in jail.....or worse.
    Couldn't agree more. We need to stop trying to appease these people and treat them as they are...insane re s.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Couldn't agree more. We need to stop trying to appease these people and treat them as they are...insane re s.
    Very true sons....the over religious..of any damn religion should be mocked and made fun of. Too bad most smart people just ignore them... if there is a God he doesn't give a flying what you call yourself or if you go to church morons.....WAKE THE UP....stop killing eachother over bull

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok on that point it's a draw I see your point.

Even Einstein's life of sun formula "E = m · c2" the many researching since then.

And with all the satellite data and Hubble telescope results you want to act like the Sun is only getting larger is your right and unless we both visit the Sun who is to say if I am off a ft or two.

But I see your point. Maybe it was just the right amount of Bud light and THC but i have to give you a pass since I can't give you the evidence you ask for without using someone else s data then I can't expect you to explain how the Universe was formed.

so we can call it a draw (on that point) and move on to the next point?....

I am curious as to why if the Mississippi River loses a football field of mud every hour why wouldn't it be much wider than it is today?

Given the fact the earth is even "500 Million years old" 3 1/2 Billion less than what Scientist claim.

You see how the word "Billion" is just pure nonsense?

We don't have to agree on everything but we can at least agree when we smell bull .
    It isn't a "draw".

You have consistantly made factual errors, and used provably false logic to attempt to show that the age of the universe is something other than what is generally held to be billions of years.

You have been shown that attempting to calculate ages of the universe based on current rates of something (sun shrinking, moon receding) are not possible, then you go on and do the exact same thing for the width of Mississipi.

That calculation is flawed, for the same reason the other two were flawed.

I can draw on observable, reproducible science that has been reviewed, reproduced, and confirmed.

That is how science works.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Let me add this...

I've known a lot of people in my life. Everything from millionaires to bums on the street. One thing I've picked up on is the ones who do buy into "a" God are far more content/intelligent/well adjusted to their surroundings/life than those who play....."you can't fool me, I'm too smart".

Just an observation.

Intelligent people realize not everything can be explained. While the simpleton...can you prove it, huh? huh? can ya? can ya?
    I've known a lot of people in my life. Everything from millionaires to bums on the street. One thing I've picked up on is the ones who don't buy into "a" God are far more content/intelligent/well adjusted to their surroundings/life than those who play "I believe it, just because."

Just an observation.

Intelligent people realize that not everything can currently be explained. While the simpleton...

You get the point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When you become an old man/woman and start realizing that it won't be long until you won't be here any longer. I'd want to think that just maybe there is a better place. I doubt you'd be too concerned over evolution and is there a God and can He be proven. I think most these...bah humbuggers...would hope there really is a God.

Without a God in your life you are here for a short time then dead as a door nail. Why set yourself for that? Why not have some hope, some faith in something? To play this.."you can't fool me, I'm too smart"....gets you what? It don't get you a damn thing, you gain nothing by taking that stance.

When I was a kid I once asked my great grandma.."where is grandpa?" That got a.."he is up in Heaven, smiling down on us". I liked that. Sure beat the out of hearing.."he's worm food".
    I don't need a big sky daddy taking care of me. From everything I see, he really sucks at it anyway.

I don't need the false hopes of some fairytale afterlife either.

Life is all the more precious and all the more beautiful knowing that it is temporary and will come to an end.

The harm that such false hopes do, is that when one bases ones life on things that aren't true, it hobbles your ability to effectively deal with reality.

At some point, I stopped believing in Santa Claus, and that wasn't hope that I gave up, it was a simple childhood worldview.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 04-16-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How many churchs are out there? Yet some people think they know better...hahaha!!! This, well if you can't prove it, is so ing lame. Prove you are envious, prove you had a dream last night, well? Big deal we have something else that can't be proven...wow! To, you can't fool me...

How many things were totally unheard of 300 years ago that we take for granted today...well? Tell somebody 300 years ago about the cell phone...you'd be laughed at.

We don't know , not you, not me, not nobody. So why not have faith in "a" God? The negatives are what? Oh yeah...you can't fool me, I'm too smart...hahaha!!!!!!!

I don't buy into the Bible stories at all, I also can't buy all this just happened.
    300 years ago, you would be right in doubting that a small object using electricity could send invisible messages through the air, and then re-create your voice on the other side of the planet.

5000 years ago you would be right doubting that the sun was a star, just like the tiny things we see at night.

Until such things are proven, you should doubt them.

That is the default position.

Do you see the logical inconsistency in your statement here?

(edit)

This is an argument from ignorance logical fallacy by the way.

We once believed it was gods pulling a flaming chariot through the sky that made that giant light thing move around. Now we know it is a star.

We once believed that it was evil spirits or anger of the gods that made people sick. Now we know it is microorganisms.

The gaps in our knowledge have a habit of turning out to be filled by things other than the supernatural. That should make anyone hesitate a bit before filling in such gaps with unprovable theories.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 04-16-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know jack about it and neither does anyone else. So we have these options....

1.the with God, which will means it will be you taking a nose dive into , and burn for all eternity.

2.have faith in Him, spent eternity in paradise.

3.worm food

Hmmmm....lets see here...
    The problem is that religious people all claim to have "the" solution/answer, and that there are hundreds of such answers.

They can't all be right, and if one of them is, you have no way of knowing which one is the right one.

If that is the case then you are, quite probably wrong, when you put your belief in a Christian God, because more people DON'T believe in that theory than do. It is the answer you are most familiar with, but that is merely by the chance of your birth.

Given that your three possibility decision tree is a whole lot larger in reality.

If there is a God, and he/it wants me to believe, then it would be easy for it make itself known. Flaming letters in the sky, or hardwired knowledge of some sort. Holy books and the written word are not the method of transmitting information that the creator of the universe would need. That is the way humans communicate ideas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I've known a lot of people in my life. Everything from millionaires to bums on the street. One thing I've picked up on is the ones who don't buy into "a" God are far more content/intelligent/well adjusted to their surroundings/life than those who play "I believe it, just because."

Just an observation.

Intelligent people realize that not everything can currently be explained. While the simpleton...

You get the point.
    That's odd. I've "known" alot of people in my life, and possibly have traveled a bit more as well. My experience is a mixed bag from both with a slight edge to well adjusted (relative to their surroundings/communities/lives) going to those who believe.
    I certainly don't buy into the notion that intelligence is predicated upon belief or vice-versa.

You get the point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Pssst....Mouse in an outlier.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's odd. I've "known" alot of people in my life, and possibly have traveled a bit more as well. My experience is a mixed bag from both with a slight edge to well adjusted (relative to their surroundings/communities/lives) going to those who believe.
    I certainly don't buy into the notion that intelligence is predicated upon belief or vice-versa.

You get the point.
    I do as well.

My point was less asserting intelligence/togetherness has much do to with faith than with the small value of anecdotal evidence.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Assuming you don't want me to relate other people's experiences, I have seen people getting healed before. I think that's the type of evidence you're looking for right?
    Healing happens all the time to people who don't pray, or have no, or even different faiths.

Why is it that God only heals things that our bodies are capable of healing by themselves? i.e. why doesn't God heal amputees?

What would your explanation of such healing be if they didn't pray or were prayed for? We have rather solid data that there is no statistical difference in healing rates between the two groups.

Why do you think God looks for the quality of "I'm willing to murder children" in his followers?
    I don't think they had that kind of relationship tbh.
    That is exactly what God asked of his followers. Jepthah and Abraham. "murder your child to make me happy". That is what the LORD told Moses to do.

Jepthah sacrificed his first child, a daughter, but God changed his mind about accepting sacrifice when it came to the male child. That is yet another sublty here that indicates this is less about a God then about stories made up by primitive peoples, where the value of sons far outweighed that of daughters.

It's not "I'm willing to murder children" so much as "I'm going to put God and my obligations to him first in my life". That's the at ude Jepthah took.

If you want to argue that that was the wrong thing to do and that he should've gone with the first animal...well I won't disagree.
    We can at least agree that Jepthah should have done something else, but you haven't admitted God should have acted to stop it.

It is exactly "I'm willing to murder children".
    Moses, acting for God did it. Jepthah did it. Abraham was going to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you promised the mayor you would burn your child alive to get what you wanted, what do you think the mayor would do?

or, if you prefer:

What woud *you* do if someone wanted something from you, and said they were ready to burn their child alive in order to get it?
    Weird. I thought I answered this but I must've missed it.

Well of course I'd move out of concern for the child first.
    I asked what the mayor should have done when someone promised to burn their child alive.

The answer to that question is, or should be, "The mayor, or I would turn them into the police before they harm their child".

When authority figures start asking for human sacrifices, the only moral thing to do is to refuse. If you are that authority figure, you have a moral duty to stop people from doing obviously immoral things in your stead.

Again, it's different in this case in that he didn't say he was willing to burn his child. He just promised the first thing out of his house and that happened to be his child. That's a distinction that makes a difference to me although I can understand why it wouldn't to you.
    That is an irrelevant distinction. Saying there is a distinction is to place a potted plant or a chicken on the same level as a human child. You don't believe that any more than I do.

Here we get to the important part.

You or I would act to stop someone from murdering a child.

God did not stop Jepthah. Neither did God punish him or condemn him for his actions.

Our moral system is arguably superior to that of God's on that basis, and this is only ONE example among many. There is a reason that the parable of Jepthah is glossed over by sermons and Sunday schools.

Such a being does not deserve my deference, or faith, only condemnation.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    It isn't a "draw".

You have consistantly made factual errors, and used provably false logic to attempt to show that the age of the universe is something other than what is generally held to be billions of years.
    Not all true many of my claims Science has no answer for as you don't also.

If your going to prove to me The Earth is 4 Billion years old show me the hard data and not some old Science book texts from the 70s

You have been shown that attempting to calculate ages of the universe based on current rates of something (sun shrinking, moon receding) are not possible,
    Why is it not possible? Why can't a comet with a very long tail 25 years from now be an older comet with a smaller tail, are you saying Comets don't burn out?

Are you saying Scientist themselves never use the fact that something is being depleted in front of their eyes as a means to figure out how long it will be before it's gone?

Are you saying the Erosion of the planet is not real, it's not happening?

Are you that closed minded just because you tossed out a scenario about you getting shorter as time goes on you not willing to look into my claims?

then you go on and do the exact same thing for the width of Mississipi.
    You have to say why "all" my claims are false don't try and debunk all of them with one attempt of debunking just one of my points.

That calculation is flawed, for the same reason the other two were flawed.
    Why, where is your proof?

I can draw on observable, reproducible science that has been reviewed, reproduced, and confirmed.
    Show me how the Mississippi river would not be narrower if you went back in time.

That is how science works.
    I thought Science was steadily revising itself as it learns new things everyday?

Didn't Science at one time claim tobacco was good for you in a Luck Strikes cigarette ad?

Science is always changing why are you not supporting that fact?

We know Niagara Falls reseeds around four ft a year due to the amount of water that is constantly washing over its edge if the Earth was even 1/2 of a Million years old shouldn't Niagara falls be in Canada somewhere?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Any of you ACTUALLY believe mouse

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Amarelooms with the pathetic troll job. Anyone knows bringing up religion in a thread le is automatically a 30 page thread.

No sport.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Amarelooms with the pathetic troll job. Anyone knows bringing up religion in a thread le is automatically a 30 page thread.

No sport.

I enjoy them every time.

I've got eternal life for whoever makes the 1000th post!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    Didn't Science at one time claim tobacco was good for you in a Luck Strikes cigarette ad?

Scient--I'm sorry. Wow. Just wow. Did science claim that tobacco was good for people or did shills claim that tobacco was good for people?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Scient--I'm sorry. Wow. Just wow. Did science claim that tobacco was good for people or did shills claim that tobacco was good for people?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Doesn't say that it's good for you.

Thread Information