Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nat Geo channel ran their 2-hour show this weekend on what (we'd call today) the politicians/marketing men (women were oppressed/excluded then as now from "religious" power) left out of the Bible.

There was lots of competing stuff around when the Christians were building their brand, so they had to come up a huge persistent, multi-century marketing/spin campaign to sell their Boy to the uneducated, child-like, low-information simpletons of their time (seems most of those simpleton's descendents watch Fox, love Rush, and live in US rural areas).

And of course, the resulting Catholic Church hierarchy always needed money, money, money.

Virgin Birth (misogyny/anti-sex, their Boy couldn't possibly arrive from screwing a woman)/assumption, numerous miracles, resurrection from death, stone rolling, etc would have certainly wowed the simpletons back then, as now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    Nat Geo channel ran their 2-hour show this weekend on what (we'd call today) the politicians/marketing men (women were oppressed/excluded then as now from "religious" power) left out of the Bible.

There was lots of competing stuff around when the Christians were building their brand, so they had to come up a huge marketing/spin campaign to sell their Boy to the uneducated, child-like, low-information simpletons of their time (seems most of those simpleton's descendents watch Fox, love Rush, and live in US rural areas).

Virgin Birth (misogyny/anti-sex, their Boy couldn't possibly arrive from screwing a woman)/assumption, numerous miracles, resurrection, etc would have certainly wowed the simpletons back then, as now.
    If there were no Republicans, you'd have no reason to live anymore.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm agnostic, but you bet your bottom dollar I'm praying to anything when I'm in the foxhole!

Plus, Jesus seemed like a cool guy. Tall and fit carpenter who could have started on any number of juco bball teams in his day, but he decided to stay in his dorm and poke smot.
    its doubtful that he was tall and fit. He was a bas and treated like by his peers. thats why he went to the countryside to learn from john the baptist. he was more than likely malnourished which would have stunted his growth. he sure did like getting people to feed him later in life though. it was the last of many suppers while he was on the lam.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    lol son. Just cause it's in the bible doesn't mean it's true....tons of horrible and incorrect things in there. If he came back physically...what happened to him....where did he go?

I was just thinking that the martyrdoms were do ented by the same people that proclaimed his resurrection. Not exactly a neutral confirming source.

Oh, and to answer your question, he was apparently "beamed up" after hanging around for a while with the eleven surviving disciples and the new twelfth one. A missed opportunity, I must say. If he really wanted believers, he should have just picked up preaching again...after scores of people saw him crucified to death. That'll get you some followers....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Yeah, I do.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God….He was in the beginning with God…All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being….In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men….The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it…

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    as in the beginning with God…All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being….In Him …[/B][/I]
    Thanks for the evil, God.

What a friend!

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If there were no Republicans, you'd have no reason to live anymore.
    You injected Repugs, I didn't.

But I do appreciate your accuracy in attributing to Repugs the characteristics in my post. They are the ignorant, truthiness, low-information crowd.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't think the bible (written by mortal men all of which lie to one degree or another) or christianity has a lock on the absolute truth, but I don't see how anyone could not believe in a higher power of some kind. The complexity of nature and the world is beyond anything that could have just randomly evolved from pond s . I'm not saying this higher power created each organism, but that even more mind boggling, created the mechanism for that diversity to evolve.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I don't think the bible (written by mortal men all of which lie to one degree or another) or christianity has a lock on the absolute truth, but I don't see how anyone could not believe in a higher power of some kind. The complexity of nature and the world is beyond anything that could have just randomly evolved from pond s . I'm not saying this higher power created each organism, but that even more mind boggling, created the mechanism for that diversity to evolve.
    Then it logically follows that this complex being would require an even more complex creator.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Then it logically follows that this complex being would require an even more complex creator.
    That's a reasonable argument based on the limitations of the human mind. It's like our inability to truly grasp the nature of infinity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    That's a reasonable argument based on the limitations of the human mind. It's like our inability to truly grasp the nature of infinity.
    a great being once told me that infinity is able/un able.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    its doubtful that he was tall and fit. He was a bas and treated like by his peers. thats why he went to the countryside to learn from john the baptist. he was more than likely malnourished which would have stunted his growth. he sure did like getting people to feed him later in life though. it was the last of many suppers while he was on the lam.
    Well...yes and no.

He probably wasn't tall, likely was somewhat fit as a carpenter and with all that walking though.

He didn't go into the desert to be taught by the John the Baptist. John just baptised him. You're conflating two different stories. And he also fed other people at various point.

I was just thinking that the martyrdoms were do ented by the same people that proclaimed his resurrection. Not exactly a neutral confirming source.

Oh, and to answer your question, he was apparently "beamed up" after hanging around for a while with the eleven surviving disciples and the new twelfth one. A missed opportunity, I must say. If he really wanted believers, he should have just picked up preaching again...after scores of people saw him crucified to death. That'll get you some followers....
    No because most of them were the ones who first got martyred.

St. Paul in particular was executed as a Roman citizen and St. Peter I believe was also crucified. That stuff wasn't recorded by Luke or even written in the Bible. Like I said, that was done independently.

See that's another area where I think you're mistaken. While he first appeared before the surviving 11 there were quite a few other followers he hung out with before leaving. Don't remember if that numbered in the hundreds or the thousands though...It was a good amount although obviously not completely ideal.

Thing is, I just don't think the goal was to get followers/become recognized in this instance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    All I know is I didn't come from a damn monkey. lol I will accept that Jesus was an alien.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Evolution has nothing to do with religion.

Carry on.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    College
    Duke Blue Devils
    I don't believe in religions, but I take Jesus over Muhammad the pedophile.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Evolution has nothing to do with religion.

Carry on.
    Evolution is a religion.
    Carry off.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Evolution is a religion.
    Carry off.
    Only to idiots like you.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    education level doesn't mean , if religion tells u tons of bull , science does too. jesus got rescued and fled away, and i ain't no skeptic or pagan tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    education level doesn't mean , if religion tells u tons of bull , science does too. jesus got rescued and fled away, and i ain't no skeptic or pagan tbh
    Science is fluid, and constantly re-evaluating it's own conclusions. Religion is like a bug frozen in amber.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Belief in a higher power and belief in evolution are not mutually exclusive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Only to idiots like you.
    Why must you show everyone your true age with your immature comments?
    http://www.icr.org/i/pdf/imp/imp-332.pdf

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Why must you show everyone your true age with your immature comments?
    http://www.icr.org/i/pdf/imp/imp-332.pdf
    Why must you show your stupidity with your stupid comment?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Do you believe that evolution is a religion?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I thought evolution was a theory.

Thread Information