Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I thought evolution was a theory.
    Evolution is a fact. The theory explains the fact.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    _____^ this may be the most asinine post ever posted on the www

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Do you think gravity is a religion, too?

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Evolution is fact. The mechanics however, cant be reproduced in a lab. Until evolution can be reproduced under controlled settings, it will remain a theory by definition only.

Evolution has been observed at every level of science. It absolutely happens.

Science just doesnt specifically know how it happens. The leading theory says its natural mutations that confer benefits and that trait gets passed on. How those mutations happen (is there a genetic trigger? or is it random?) or what causes them (nature vs nurture) is the only portion that hasnt been answered.

...and really, it will never be answered in our lifetimes. Unless we crack the riddle of life in the next 50 years, which I doubt.

Carry on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Do you think gravity is a religion, too?
    Did some old pot smoking bearded man studying birds on an Island in the 1800's say it evolved from a snail after 2 billion years?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Evolution is fact. The mechanics however, cant be reproduced
    And how is that any different from Jesus?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Why must you show your stupidity with your stupid comment?
    First off prove it's stupid. Second, this is a public forum in case you didn't know. I don't remember me addressing you to reply in the first place

Besides I don't have to prove your comments are immature, posters here can read for themselves.

If I am so "stupid" as you claim why am i worth your time, and why do you care?

The truth is small minded mountain dew drinking kids like yourself find me intimidating and yet fascinating and your drawn to my wisdom and education so you question me and by being less educated and not having anything useful to add to the subject you resort to outdated insults.

Why not put your mind where your keyboard is and produce something to prove me wrong instead of showing how immature you are?

(insert another useless comment from red zero)

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Evolution is fact. The mechanics however, cant be reproduced in a lab. Until evolution can be reproduced under controlled settings, it will remain a theory by definition only.

Science just doesnt specifically know how it happens. The leading theory says its natural mutations that confer benefits and that trait gets passed on. How those mutations happen (is there a genetic trigger? or is it random?) or what causes them (nature vs nurture) is the only portion that hasnt been answered.

...and really, it will never be answered in our lifetimes. Unless we crack the riddle of life in the next 50 years, which I doubt.

Carry on.
    I think that about covers it quite nicely although there are probably limits to Evolution. We've seen separate species evolve due to separation and we've seen that living things can adapt lots of times although I think drug-resistant bacteria is a good example of "survival of the fittest".

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's a combination of mutations and learned survival traits as far as that goes. As for random vs. genetic trigger, there's likely elements of both involved. Ditto for nature vs. nurture. That said, the genetics are probably what get the ball rolling more often than not in my opinion.

The thing is, there's still genetic material to work with in every instance.

Having studied DNA, RNA, and genetics a bit in school, my take is that "God created". Given the randomness of mutations and the odds of all of that coming together to create what we see today, I think the "something out of nothing" concept is just too far-fetched to me when the idea of an Intelligent Designer (or at the very least something not human creating the building blocks of life) fits a little bit better in my opinion.

Of course, there's plenty of credible experts who disagree with me on every level but that's just how I see it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Science just doesnt specifically know how it happens.

Then why do the Science books say
    The Earth is 4.55 billion years old
    Dinosaur's were around 25 Million years ago

If your not sure about something why teach it to the kids?

Isn't that what the anti religious people say about the Bible?

starting to sound more and more like a religion as we proceed doesn't it?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Right down to the manifesto.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I think that about covers it quite nicely
    Translation: It has to be true or else I may have to answer for my sins if religion is fact.

What ever helps you sleep at night. I don't support religion but I am not going to let you say one theory is fact and the other is fiction. Unless you can show me proof.

Funny how Millions of people on this planet after all these years still want answers if Evolution is the reason man is here and yet all this time they could have just emailed DarkReign to find out the answers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

This is just too stupid for anyone to try and correct. Mixing evolution, radioactive decay and paleontology into a stunningly idiotic statement.

Mouse, you're funny sometimes, but you'll die ignorant.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Translation: It has to be true or else I may have to answer for my sins if religion is fact.
    Come again?

Have you read my other posts? I agree with you that religion gets marginalized and as a Christian I do also believe in the Resurrection and all because I have to and it makes sense to me.

That said, I'm also a woman of reason.

Given what I've studied of genetics and biology, I don't think you can sensibly argue against evolution on a micro-level/smaller scale. Being able to adjust to what's happening in your environment is part of what differentiates living organisms from inanimate objects. It would be incredibly asinine to also argue that genetics isn't a big part of what traits get passed down in a given population.

Where things get sticky is with the issue of where it all began. On this front I say "God created" because I find that easier to believe than the "something out of nothing it all evolved" theory. Since I'm also a Christian I just attached the Intelligent Designer to God and the rest is self-explanatory.

I've taken evidence from both sides and formed an opinion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

You sound very religious.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hmm...Yes and no.

I think that God is the standard of perfection and good rather than whatever other people are saying these days. This does allow for the devil without being inconsistent.

I lean that way because absolute good imo makes evil possible. But on the other hand, evil behaviour, actions, and thought patterns don't exist without some standard to measure them against.

Sort of like how by virtue of having questions that need to be answered on a test the standard of 100% makes it possible for an individual to fail.

In that sense I'd say you're right because the devil doesn't exist without God.

Personally, I see it more like God's existence makes the devil possible. Like how that 100% score, by virtue of existing, leaves room for a mark of 0%.

This is where I think the concept of free will comes into play for humans.

Since it's established that God can't accept anything less than perfection, can't deceive, can't go back on his word, be anything less than consistent, etc. I don't feel like the 'can do anything' school of thought is accurate. I suspect "powerful" is the concept they're looking to express.
    I think the God depicted in the bible that most read is more than a little inconsistent.

Not sure I would buy that has been established.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 04-10-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed link

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think the God depicted in the bible that most read is more than a little inconsistent.

Not sure I would buy that has been established.
    Horrible list. The Bible's a big book and if you cherry pick specific sentences without reading the whole thing you can pull anything you want out of it. I've read it about 6 times myself and while I'll admit to not remembering everything, I can guarantee you that I have a better understanding of it than those guys.

While the actions taken definitely vary, there's no question that the personality behind them was constant throughout the Bible. The goals stayed the same and the requirements stayed the same as did the priorities.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Carry on.
    Evolution has been reproduced under controlled settings. There is a famous, multi-decade and still going, experiment with bacteria that have developed the ability to metabolize (citric acid? can't remember exactly which)

We also know, in a very detailed manner, how mutations happen, and generally what causes specific mutations.

We have done a LOT of drilling down into the basic molecular DNA/RNA level to figure this out.

I got to audit my wife's class on evolution a few times to get the newest stuff, but we are doing some serious tinkering with the building blocks to see how this all works.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See that little critter that just waddled out of the ocean? That is the beginings of an elephant. Oh yeah and an eagle.

Pretty hard to grasp.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Horrible list. The Bible's a big book and if you cherry pick specific sentences without reading the whole thing you can pull anything you want out of it. I've read it about 6 times myself and while I'll admit to not remembering everything, I can guarantee you that I have a better understanding of it than those guys.

While the actions taken definitely vary, there's no question that the personality behind them was constant throughout the Bible. The goals stayed the same and the requirements stayed the same as did the priorities.
    To some extent it is cherry picking, but one only has to find one or two instances out of the 100+ to disprove the statement "God is consistent".

I also wonder why Isaac was spared, but Jepthah's daughter was not.

JDS11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,

JDS11:31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

JDS11:32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the LORD delivered them into his hands.

JDS11:33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.

JDS11:34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

JDS11:35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

JDS11:36 And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

JDS11:37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.

JDS11:38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

JDS11:39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed
    That seems pretty unambiguously inconsistent to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    First off prove it's stupid. Second, this is a public forum in case you didn't know. I don't remember me addressing you to reply in the first place

Besides I don't have to prove your comments are immature, posters here can read for themselves.

If I am so "stupid" as you claim why am i worth your time, and why do you care?

The truth is small minded mountain dew drinking kids like yourself find me intimidating and yet fascinating and your drawn to my wisdom and education so you question me and by being less educated and not having anything useful to add to the subject you resort to outdated insults.

Why not put your mind where your keyboard is and produce something to prove me wrong instead of showing how immature you are?

(insert another useless comment from red zero)
    Oh look, mouse is pretending to have some maturity again!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Did some old pot smoking bearded man studying birds on an Island in the 1800's say it evolved from a snail after 2 billion years?
    Answer my question.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    To some extent it is cherry picking, but one only has to find one or two instances out of the 100+ to disprove the statement "God is consistent".

I also wonder why Isaac was spared, but Jepthah's daughter was not.

That seems pretty unambiguously inconsistent to me.
    An intelligent discussion. I'm really enjoying it down here.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to keep the quote in there while quoting you.

Isaac as Abraham's sacrifice vs. Jepthah's daughter?

I think probably the major difference was that God was the one originally requesting Isaac as a sacrifice while Jepthah was the one who made the original offer. In both cases the father involved was demonstrating that they loved God more than they did their children.

What you get from that is entirely up to you, but I don't find that necessarily inconsistent. Like I said, the actions may vary but the personality and the priorities don't. Sometimes you just have to look beyond the surface.

Don't get me wrong here. Despite being a Christian I do believe that Christianity has been/is kind of destructive for certain types of people. These just aren't really the reasons why imo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You keep trotting this one out, despite being corrected numerous times.

No scientist has ever said that birds evolved from snails.

That is a bit like saying your cousin is your grandfather.

Thread Information